• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

chatting at oc get-together - take out your gun?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ABNinfantryman wrote:
...SNIP

That whole rant breaks down to "Think of the children." The beauty of the idea of freedom is that you have the freedom to look away if something bothers you, so the whole "think of the guy with the bad heart or who will sh*t himself" argument can kiss my white arse. As for brandishing, brandishing is when you draw your weapon with the intent to instill fear in an individual or the people around you, which is not my intent when I'm allowing someone to look at my piece. If you're not willing to risk pushing the law to it's limit you're never going to win anything. What do you think all of these OC get togethers are for? To incite the question being asked in public where everyone can see.

And to the guy who says the more you handle a weapon the more you're likely to have an ND, two things. One, no crap, that's like saying "the more you drive the more likely you are to get in a wreck" simply because of the amount of time spent on the road, but I highly doubt we're going to see people spend less time in their vehicles. Two, so far in my military career I've had one ND, and it was not my fault. Some retard half cocked a machine gun and when I opened the feed tray to clear it the seer slipped and allowed the bolt to slam forward discharging a round. Other than that I carry and handle a loaded weapon for a year or more that gets slammed around and never have an issue. Most NDs in the military happen because of negligence and ignorance, that's why the Army no longer calls them ADs, they're all NDs. As you all like to say, a gun's a tool, and no matter how long you place it in a chair and let it sit there, it's not going to shoot itself.

The biggest threat to the movement are not the people who are comfortable with handling their weapon, it's those who aren't.

With all due respect sir ... Your own statements prove the logical errors of your position. You describe a situation where military "professionals" commit a few oversights that end with the ND of a weapon. You then somehow reach the conclusion that because this was a rare incident that it justifies handling a weapon in an uncontrolled environment. The facts of the incident are that the weapon discharged inappropriately while under your control, and while being handled by you. You blame the weapon, the other people who handled it, and even the design of the weapon itself.

By definition a ND is the result of failing to do something that should have been done or doing something that should not have been done WHILE HANDLING A FIREARM. The fact is YOU are responsible for ANY ND of a weapon that is under your control and being handled by you, no matter the details leading to the incident or the design of the weapon.

In your closing statement you conclude that the most dangerous threat to the movement is people who are uncomfortable handling weapons. This conclusion dismisses the fact that a person asking to see your weapon likely is asking because they are NOT familiar with it. When attending an OC event a lot of people ask to see the weapons. Many of them may not have a clue as to proper handling of any firearm, let alone yours. You need not look any further that the local gun show to see people who should know better exhibiting poor clearance procedures and even worse muzzle control.

You have also overlooked the fact that not taking out your carry piece at an OC event has less to do with scaring people and more to do with safety. If you properly place a firearm in a well designed carry holster and never handle it, it will not fire and it is perfectly safe to carry around. The moment you take hold of the grip and begin to draw, the possibility for a discharge (negligent or intentional) begins to increase. Start operating all those neat little levers, slides and buttons and the potential for an ND goes WAY higher than for the same firearm at rest in the holster. Hand the weapon to a person unfamiliar with it is operation and design, and/or unfamiliar with safe or proper firearms handling and you have set the stage for problems. Especially since the clear intent of that individual is specifically to start operating all those neat little levers, slides and buttons.

Also don't forget all those OTHER people at an OC event who are armed. Remember OC is basically about self defense. These people are not drones on a movie set carrying prop weapons who have no situational awareness. Take out your weapon, allow it to be mishandled in some way that someone across the room does not expect or thinks is a threat to their safety, and how would you expect that person to react? In short you COULD find you are on the wrong end of one or more other firearms in the room.

No sir. For a lot of reasons you are wrong. NEVER remove your firearm from the holster except in controlled space and under controlled conditions unless you intend to use it in defense of your life or the life of another.

IT IS NOT APPROPREATE TO UNHOLSTER YOUR CARRY WEAPONS AT OC EVENTS TO SHOW THEM TO OTHERS.

As for showing off some secondary weapon you may have in a bag someplace, I agree with Citizen. That activity is best done in a less public setting than an OC gathering for many of the same reasons I have already outlined above.

Regards

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

ABNinfantryman wrote:
That whole rant breaks down to "Think of the children." The beauty of the idea of freedom is that you have the freedom to look away if something bothers you, so the whole "think of the guy with the bad heart or who will sh*t himself" argument can kiss my white arse. As for brandishing, brandishing is when you draw your weapon with the intent to instill fear in an individual or the people around you, which is not my intent when I'm allowing someone to look at my piece. If you're not willing to risk pushing the law to it's limit you're never going to win anything. What do you think all of these OC get togethers are for? To incite the question being asked in public where everyone can see.

Brandishing is often described as displaying in a threatening manor. The word brandishing is not always used in statutes. It is often a strict liability offense. Your intent is not taken into account, only the perception based on a reasonable person standard. Removing your weapon from its holster and showing it off is akin to finger banging with a fair chance of sweeping someone with your muzzle when you are at an OC gathering. You are not in a controlled environment.

Even if you are able to beat the rap, you will not beat the ride and it will be a PR failure. We need to normalize the carry of firearms in public and get the timid to accept us as having the right to do so even if they choose to refrain.

OC get togethers are to show that we are reasonalbe responsible adults and there is nothing to fear from us. Acting foolish even if it is technically legal will not help our cause and is not welcome behavior.

ODA 226

imported post

Once I perform a squeeze-check and drop Mr. Springfield into the SERPA, the only time Mr. Springfield is taken out of the holster is if he has to "speak".

Unholstering in public for most any other reason is stupid and irresponsible.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Military service in country has no relationship to civilian laws and perceptions, the most important being perception in this case. We are out to improve our image not destroy it through careless and poorly thought out responses. The public relations war is an every day thing.

Handling of guns in public for whatever reason is to be avoided. In Virginia, there are some circumstances wherein one could be charged with brandishing w/o ever touching their gun. Know the laws of your state.

Yata hey

Kimberguy

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
NO! Absolutely NO. Weapons stay holstered at all time until needed and showing is not needed.

Do this in a safe place like a firing range or what ever after all agree the weapon is cleared.

Admire, discuss and what you wanna do but do NOT remove from holster. Period.:shock:
THIS. never unholster in public. it's considered Brandishing.
i'm asking because i'm genuinely curious.
why is there no magazine in the fire arm or round in the chamber???

back on topic, i have shown my pistol but it is in private in a safe setting, I have been asked at gun shows and other places. my answer is always that we need to go somewhere safe and private.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
With all due respect sir ... Your own statements prove the logical errors of your position. You describe a situation where military "professionals" commit a few oversights that end with the ND of a weapon.
Thank you, you reminded me of why I'm nervous around soldiers, let alone civilians, with weapons. I got caught up in the argument. As to my ND, I was taking control of the weapon from another soldier and moving it, hence why I was clearing it, but you're right, it was my fault for assuming the soldier had been trained properly by his NCOs before I opened the feed tray to remove the rounds. As MSC said, complacency.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Once I perform a squeeze-check and drop Mr. Springfield into the SERPA, the only time Mr. Springfield is taken out of the holster is if he has to "speak".

Unholstering in public for most any other reason is stupid and irresponsible.

+1.

That's what I intended to convey, but took Too many notes*to do so. Guess I'm a bit too long winded most of the time, huh?

Thank you, Craig.

* (from Amadeus)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
ABNinfantryman wrote:

Brandishing is often described as displaying in a threatening manor. The word brandishing is not always used in statutes. It is often a strict liability offense. Your intent is not taken into account, only the perception based on a reasonable person standard. Removing your weapon from its holster and showing it off is akin to finger banging with a fair chance of sweeping someone with your muzzle when you are at an OC gathering. You are not in a controlled environment.

Even if you are able to beat the rap, you will not beat the ride and it will be a PR failure. We need to normalize the carry of firearms in public and get the timid to accept us as having the right to do so even if they choose to refrain.

OC get togethers are to show that we are reasonalbe responsible adults and there is nothing to fear from us. Acting foolish even if it is technically legal will not help our cause and is not welcome behavior.
This..

NightOwl

imported post

Citizen wrote:
NightOwl wrote:
How about showing off a nice firearm that wasn't brought in the holster, but rather unloaded in a gun case? Just a thought.

I'd schedule the show-and-admire session for some other time and place.

Starbucks and others are creating the atmosphere of a public gathering/cafe sort of place; but I don't think firearms is quite what they have in mind.
Good call. For some reason I was thinking bbq kind of thing. Perhaps I should have said unloaded, in a gun case,depending at the location of the event. Some venues are obviously not conducive towards such a thing. Either way, holstered weapons should stay holstered, regardless.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

I'm still stuck on the idea of clearing the weapon in the middle of a Starbucks or other gathering. Rule #1 is to point it in a safe direction. Other than staying in the holster, just where does one find a safe direction to point the gun to clear it while in the middle of a social gathering? The very idea is enough to cause cold chills.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

brolin_1911a1 wrote:
I'm still stuck on the idea of clearing the weapon in the middle of a Starbucks or other gathering. Rule #1 is to point it in a safe direction. Other than staying in the holster, just where does one find a safe direction to point the gun to clear it while in the middle of a social gathering? The very idea is enough to cause cold chills.
+100

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

brolin_1911a1 wrote:
Oh, that's easy in a Starbucks. Just point it at the urn that has that god-awful Kenyan coffee. :)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Oh, that's easy in a Starbucks. Just point it at the urn that has that god-awful Kenyan coffee. :)
Oh noes, Racism. Where's the Arrant_Knight_Errant - to the rescue?
OK, Everyone..... I thinks that The Master resides on Washington Island, if so this might mean that some of the Islanders think they are better than everyone else because they have no actual contact with lowly main landers like us. The way he's talking Washington Island is a white only colony where racism is perfectly acceptable.
Do they fly a Confederate Battle Flag there ? Are you waiting for the south to rise again ?

Bull Frog

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
Ok, I'm not sure if this is the correct sub forum, but when oc people get together in a public setting, say at a Starbucks, and they're sitting outside, talking oc, or the weather, or football, or whatever, can you take out, or has anyone taken out their gun to show the others what you have?  Like I see someone carrying a gun I've been aching to have and eventually maybe buy, could I ask the owner to let me inspect it?  I'd like to see how much it weights, how it fits in my hand, etc.  Is this done?  Is it frowned upon?  Is it better to just chat and ignore each other's weapons?  When I'm at the range I go up to people when I see they have something of a gun or rifle that is unusual or big or small or old or loud that gets my attention I'll admire from short distance but not touch it and eventually the owner will say, you wanna shoot it?  Hell yeah, I say.  Ok, we're not going to shoot anything at a meet, but is it considered bad manners to show off your gun out of the holster in public?  I know I wouldn't hesitate to ask if I could handle a gun belonging to another in a private setting like a home, but in public, what say ye?

Your turkey is not cooked yet.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There is a reason that proctology exams are not performed at Starbucks - this thread describes that sufficiently. :?

Yata hey