• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registering an AK-47 as a pistol

T Vance

imported post

I've heard rumors that there is going to be a new law that will NOT allow you register an AK-47 (and similar weapons) as a pistol. Could someone site information on this please? When does this take place? I'd like to hurry up and register mine before this takes place if it is true.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I've heard rumors that there is going to be a new law that will NOT allow you register an AK-47 (and similar weapons) as a pistol. Could someone site information on this please? When does this take place? I'd like to hurry up and register mine before this takes place if it is true.

The only proposed law I've heard of is the one that changes the definition of pistol to be "any gun 30" or less" to "Any gun 26" or less"

Michigander

imported post

If that law does pass, and I haven't heard it's progressed lately, you could still carry in your car an AOW shotgun or rifle, or any rifle that meets the federal definition of a pistol.

Like a Serbu super shorty, or an actual AK pistol.

T Vance

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
T Vance wrote:

The only proposed law I've heard of is the one that changes the definition of pistol to be "any gun 30" or less" to "Any gun 26" or less"

That would be the one. Do you have a link to this bill?

How do I go about getting my AK registered as a pistol?

autosurgeon

imported post

There is a bill to bring the length requirements in line with federal law. So far it has not been voted on. It would make a pistol anything under 26 inches. SBR's and SBS's would still be unlawful. It also includes a grandfather provision as it is written for all Firearms registered before it goes into effect.

Here is the thread on MGO with the proposed laws.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=381891

lapeer20m

imported post

i believe this is the bill in question hb 4501, yes the bill would change the definition of pistol in michigan to less than 26 inches instead of the current 30 inches.

i thought it had passed...perhaps it only passed the house and stalled out in the senate? idk

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(1q...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2009-HB-4501

If that law does pass, and I haven't heard it's progressed lately, you could still carry in your car an AOW shotgun or rifle, or any rifle that meets the federal definition of a pistol.

i don't believe that is the case, as almost any shotgun or rifle less than 26 inches in length is illegal in michigan . It appears Michigan would consider it a SBS or a SBR.

The federal definition doesn't matter when it comes to pistol as much as the michigan definition does. You cannot carry a firearm under authority of your cpl unless it meets the michigan definition of a pistol and is registered as such.

(i) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(k) “Short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having 1 or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(1q...-750-222&query=on&highlight=short AND shotgun

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

as far as how to register it:

You have to either remove the stock, or get a folder [by Michigan's current law, a folding stock rifle is measured with the stock folded]

Make sure that from extreme end to extreme end [that is, the rearmost point, on an AK this would include the metal thing that sticks out for the stock to screw into] that the gun is between 26 and 30 inches long, with a barrel at least 16" long.

Then, if you have a CPL you can just print of the same form you use to buy a pistol, and list yourself as the buyer and seller

If you don't have a CPL, get a permit to purchase from your local PD, and list yourself as both the buyer and the seller.

T Vance

imported post

Also, after it is registered, can I ever put the original stock (that is not collapsable)back on it as long as I don't carry it around like a pistol (i.e. with one in the chamber in my vehicle)?

T Vance

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Then, if you have a CPL you can just print of the same form you use to buy a pistol, and list yourself as the buyer and seller
I do have my CPL. Is there a form I can print off online? Does anyone know where that link is? I can't seem to find it. Or do I have to go the the police department to pick one up?

T Vance

imported post

The barrel is 16 1/4. The gun in total length is between 26-30". Looks like I'm good to go. Now, do I need to show them that it is the appropriate lengths to prove this?

Michigander

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Whats does "SHOT" and "TYPE" refer to exactly?
Capacity, and what type of gun.

And no, you don't show them the gun now that the dumb ass safety inspections were done away with.

T Vance

imported post

Michigander wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Whats does "SHOT" and "TYPE" refer to exactly?
Capacity, and what type of gun.

And no, you don't show them the gun now that the dumb ass safety inspections were done away with.

So for type should I put "WASR-10" or "WASR-10/AK-47", or "AK-47"?

Wouldn't "SHOT" make more sense for what caliber it is (7.62x39)? If it means capacity, the capacity is only limited to the size of the magazine (they make 5 round, 10 round, 20 round, 30 round, 40 round, 47 round, 75 round, and 90 round drums/magazines). So what capacity would I put?

Michigander

imported post

I would put WASR10 and 5,10,20,30,40,50,75,90,100, or words to that extent.

I've always thought it remarkably stupid that it asks to know how many rounds it holds. Everyone who knows anything about guns knows that they make different size magazines for different applications and to accommodate different laws. Even my P220 can take 3 different magazine sizes.

autosurgeon wrote:
JUst an fyi Van Buren County made me list the original seller IE where I originally purchased my Mossberg 500 .
And by the way, if my local PD did that, I'd refuse, and file a color of law complaint with the FBI. They have no right to that information, and you have no reason to give it to them. What if you'd got it at a garage sale from a guy you forgot the name of who moved to Florida?

Some would say I'm picking nits, but I get really, really sick of police violating preemption to exert a little extra authority wherever they can.

autosurgeon

imported post

I just talked with the lady today who is handling PP and she admitted that she made a mistake and that mine was the only one she did this on. I guess I was the first person to do this since she came on board at the Sheriffs Dept. She stated that the day after we had our chat on the phone she went to a training held by the state police for firearms records people and this very thing was brought up and she realized she did it wrong. Anyway she called Lansing and made it right and I should have a new copy of the purchase record on Monday with my name in both places.

Note I know her pretty well she worked as a Sales Manager at one of the dealerships I worked at about 10 years ago. I don't think she would lie to me... I just got to thinking after I posted it that... well it was wrong and if I didn't check into it nobody else would!

Oh and wouldn't ya know I would pick her first week one the job to mail in my shotgun pistol registration :lol: