• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question regarding handgun in vehicle

Crackshot

imported post

I am taking my CPL class in December, but am curious about vehicles and your right to carry when you do not have a CPL. Open Carry states you can carry a handgun in plain site in a holster, walking down the street. However, in transporting a handgun in a vehicle it has to be in your trunk out of easy reach, or, in the case of a truck, you must keep it locked in a storage compartment (glovebox?) where no one else may access it. It must be unloaded. wha?!? I know that once I have my CPL it won't matter, but still...:what:

Why the double standard? The brochure I received from the MSP states a CPL is generally required for transporting a pistol, loaded or unloaded, in a motor vehicle. It just seems to me that as long as a pistol is in a holster, in plain site in your vehicle, the same standards should apply. I'm sure that the car jacker who would attempt to do so would plainly see the weapon...

I work in an Emergency Room. I get threatened at least once a week from patients (usually intoxicated or under the influence of some illegal drug) and am told "don't take them seriously, they're drunk/high/mentally unbalanced." My fear is that one day their threats will lead to more than just words.

I've read through many posts on this board and applaud people's right to OC. However, it seems to cause a lot of problems. (Just ask KimberGuy) I'm not sure what I am going to do yet, but knowing that I can open carry without breaking the law is awesome. On the flip side, who cares if it causes some people discomfort if the mere presence of a weapon dissuades some would be thug from robbing me or someone I care about. For years I assumed (wrongly, obviously) that carrying a gun that way meant either you were a LEO or a security guard. Nice to know I was wrong.

I am carrying several brochures in my car (printed from this site. Thanks!) to hand out to other uninformed individuals.:celebrate

I love that dancing banana.

Leader

imported post

You are correct, the laws regarding transport of a handgun are dumb.

However... you can not transport a handgun in the passenger compartment of a vehicle if it has a trunk. If no trunk, it has to be LOCKED in a case AND not within reach of the occupents of the vehicle.

You can not transport a loaded gun.

Go to http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.htmland read read read.

lapeer20m

imported post

Leader wrote:
You are correct, the laws regarding transport of a handgun are dumb.

However... you can not transport a handgun in the passenger compartment of a vehicle if it has a trunk. If no trunk, it has to be LOCKED in a case AND not within reach of the occupents of the vehicle.

You can not transport a loaded gun.

Go to http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.htmland read read read.
almost correct....the case does not have to be locked, just a closed case designed for the storage of firearms

"(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle tha"does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle." "
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28ycrtmgup3jcr0e55y21tpcyg%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-750-231a&query=on&highlight=pistol%20AND%20trunk%20AND%20case

conservative85

imported post

The reason a CPL is needed to transport a loaded fire arm is mainly because the state considers the inside of a car as consealed even it it is in the open, the other reason is due to the DNR having a problem with loaded firearm in a car.

The only time the pistol has to be locked is when your under the influence of alcohol.

You should really read the wash rinse, repeat, and the other threads on info concearning the laws for OC and CC

kyleplusitunes

imported post

also as far as I know a fist fight in an emergency room would never be a reason to use deadly force. I don't think you're going to need your gun in the hospital.

autosurgeon

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
also as far as I know a fist fight in an emergency room would never be a reason to use deadly force. I don't think you're going to need your gun in the hospital.

I will respectfully disagree. Saying someone will not need there gun in a certain place for whatever reason is foolish as gun free zones is where a majority of the shootings happen. Also a fistfight can turn deadly and I do not get into fist fights. If someone wants to fight me they are most likely going to be told to back off and if they do NOT they might get shot.

NOTE I do not go around picking fights. But I will tell you that a person that is high or drunk can soak up allot of punishment and not notice the pain and in the process you who are not high or drunk get your ash beat!

reidksmith

imported post

I have to disagree with part of this, although I do risk shifting the thread off topic by doing so.

Hospitals are slightly different than other PFZ, such as bars, for one large reason - most have metal detectors in ERs. Would I like to carry my gun at the hospital? Yes. Do I see any reason why I can't, and why my rights are essentially violated in this case? No. But, if the criminals actually are disarmed, I don't see, pragmatically, why it is as necessary as, say, a college campus.

Same goes for courthouses. If the government can assure me that only the police have the guns in that enclosed, safe area, I fail to see a compelling reason for why I need mine as well.

On the subject of this topic; it is interesting that some Western states, (think Montana and Wyoming especially,)take the opposite position of Michigan on this manner. That is, you do not need a CPL to carry a loaded firearm in your car for protection, (i.e., not in transport to a range.) Some require it be visible without a CPL.

I think we can all agree that Michigan's gun laws, while not necessarily strict, are some of the most eccentric in the nation. Purchase permits, safety inspections (pre-2009), non-CPL vehicle inaccessibility, short barreled rifles illegal, silencers illegal, etc...

autosurgeon

imported post

I will qualify part of my statement. Yes I know a Hospital is a PFZ and no I have not been in one that had a metal detector..

I am not advocating he break the law... but who is to say that one of these nuts won't attack him some other place if the recognize him?

reidksmith

imported post

Autosurgeon,

Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, (actually, right across from Target Sports,) has a metal detector to gain entrance into the ER. The main entrance, to my knowledge, does not require passing through a metal detector.

But, it was from speaking to a police officer/CPL class instructor that I was told most ERs have these metal detectors. But Beaumont's is the only one I've personally seen.

myusername

imported post

Beaumont is required because of their trauma level status. I don't know if its federal or state, but that is what I was told the reason for the magnetometer was. Obviously as a level 1 trauma center they will get a higher percentage of patients who may have people wanting to finish the job.

I have very little problem with a GFZ that has a magnetometer. I still am concerned about my walking to and from, but I can be reasonably confident that no weapons are present beyond that point, more than most other places for sure.

I actually encouraged my state rep to introduce a gun control bill! I suggested that perhaps he make two bills, one to repeal the GFZ in the CPL law and one to require that any location required by state law to be GFZ must have funding for perimeter security upgrades and magnetometers at every entrance staffed by law enforcement, to make it a real GFZ. Hundreds of millions of dollars later.... He got the point, and was already on the bill eliminating GFZ.