• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition to restore rights in places where alchohol is sold and admission fee is charged

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

hopefully the petition organizer is capturing email addresses for susequent alerts - an admin note should be put on the petition to encourage signers to share their email addresses with the signer.

glockaholic

imported post

Yet another law that makes no sense whatsoever to me. I can legally OC into a grocery store and load up my cart with beer. I can't, however, have a relaxing dinner w/my family at O'Charley's without first disarming.

It's already illegal to have any alcohol in your system when carrying a handgun. Shouldn't that be sufficient to cover restaurant carry as well? I realize I'm preaching to the choir here. But really. This is a crazy law that absolutely needs to be repealed.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Dreamer

imported post

I signed this petition, just like I did last year. Hopefully, this year, the folks at in Charlotte will get the message. I will be contacting my State Representatives this week regarding this petition.

I find it ridiculous that as a NC CHP holder, I can OC or CC in many other states in such an establishment, but I cannot carry in any form in them in my home state.

I can OC in such establishments in VA and MT. I can OC or CC in PA. WV, DE, OH, and over 30 more states.

But I can't OC or CC in my home state, where my permit is issued...

This is a bad law, and needs to be overturned and stricken from the statutes.

Godscreation

imported post

For those who don't know, I was the one who made the petition. I am not a 2nd amendment junkie, I am not a lawyer, I am just a tax paying college boy who wants to carry his weapon to protect himself. I am familiar with the laws like most of you are, and I know my rights and I want them restored.

I got a message from Grass Roots North Carolina (an awesome gun rights group in NC) and they told me they tried to put this in the state house and senate and it flopped both times. They informed me that legislation like this cannot be submitted again until 2011. I am disappointed, but I think we should be able to get some signatures by then if you want to keep this thread on the forum. If the moderator feels different about this, then I won't be sad if he takes this thread off the sticky.

Also petition online.com has not yet given me answer but for some reason I cannot view the emails of the folks who signed so I can update them. If anyone knows how to do this PM me. If you feel like we should change the petition a little bit so it can be submitted before 2011, then I will hand the baton off to you because I have more important things to be doing. I know that sounds harsh, but really, I've got classes to pay for, I'm involved in my church serving the Lord, and I cannot be playing lawyer and politician all day.

I will recommend that we keep signing this petition until we get a better idea of what to do. If someone wants to make a different petition with a little change to the original, then that would be great as well. Thanks for your time and I appreciate those who are linking this to other sites.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Amazing, here in Washington I cannot sit at the bar but can sit at a table near the bar (OC or CC) as long as it's not in the "Under 21 Off Limits area."

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I signed this very early on, but I figured it may be a good idea to let people know.

This is a great cause. We don't need to become victims while stuck in the booth ofan establishment that just happens to sell alcohol. We need the chance not to be a victim.

SIGN SIGN SIGN SIGN SIGN!

Godscreation

imported post

121 folks, try to send them to friends and other large groups. I sent a link to my facebook friends. If you know anyone in the GOA or NRA that has a mailing list that would be awesome too. Remember, you don't have to be a NC citizen to sign as an out of stater is still under these rules when they are here.

lennon336

imported post

I just signed the petition and am totally against the ban. I rarely go to restaurants that serve alcohol for that reason. I mainly eat at diners and chain restaurants that don't serve. We have laws that prohibit us from drinking while armed. Id appreciate firearm carry in my restaurant if it were legal!

dkefn33

imported post

ok call me dumb. i have a question, at places like TOTAL WINE can i not oc in the store b/c they have alchi? just wondering since i have taken me gun in there before and noone said anything.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dkefn33 wrote:
ok call me dumb. i have a question, at places like TOTAL WINE can i not oc in the store b/c they have alchi? just wondering since i have taken me gun in there before and noone said anything.

I believe the operative phrase in the law to look out for, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, is "sold and consumed."

As far as I know, it is like any other variety store, grocery store (which sells wine and beer), department store, etc. As long as there are no gunbuster signs and they don't have a bar in the back or something, you're good to go. Now if they're having a wine tasting, I don't know, that is consumption in a place where it is sold, I'd like to think no one will mess with you but you may very well be in violation of the law at that point.

glockaholic

imported post

dkefn33 wrote:
ok call me dumb.  i have a question, at places like TOTAL WINE can i not oc in the store b/c they have alchi?  just wondering since i have taken me gun in there before and noone said anything.

I've OC'd in Total Wine a couple of times and never had a problem. My understanding of the law is that it's completely legal. As with anything, your mileage may vary. Nobody batted an eyelash when I was there, though.