• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition to restore rights in places where alchohol is sold and admission fee is charged

glockaholic

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Oh yeah.  I almost forgot about that one.  I'll have to pay especially close attention to that.

Yes, because we all know how much more dangerous a background-checked, law-abiding citizen with a gun is when they have to PAY to get into a venue.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Sorry, my sarcasm gets the better of me sometimes. ;)

RayBurton72

imported post

It always helps to know where the offending statutes comes from.

In this case, the law banning carry where admission is charges and alcohol is sold and consumed predates Concealed carry laws by at least a decade.

Much like the ban on firearms in a funeral procession, it stems in part from biker (and other) gang activities in the late 70s and early 80s. At that time, there was no legal concealed carry. The statute discussed in this thread was specifically made to address bars, nightclubs and "adult venues" that didn't serve alcohol or were BYOB under the old "private club" alcohol laws. Movie theaters and restaurants were never the target of the law, but as often is the case, with the passage of CCW in North Carlina, they are the unintended consequences

When the CCW law was passed in North Carolina, the local Brady bunch types successfully killed provisions of the CCW law that would have allowed permit holders exempt from those laws.

It may be a subtle difference, but as we struggle to change the effects of the law, it is important we know where they came from.

IMHO, it is unlikely we will ever get these laws repealed. Instead, I think it is more likely that we can amend the CCW law to exempt permit holders from those statutes.

While that does not help the OC crowd (of which I am a sometimes-member) I incremental ism will be the most effective in turning back the gun laws, just as it was effective in them being enacted in the first place.

Just my $.02

Dreamer

imported post

RayBurton72 wrote:
MHO, it is unlikely we will ever get these laws repealed. Instead, I think it is more likely that we can amend the CCW law to exempt permit holders from those statutes.
In Virginia, they will most likely get the CC ban for restaurants and other venues that serve alcohol repealed this year. VCDL has been working on this for a few years, and it ALMOST passed last year. It will almost certainly get changed this year, with the new AG and Governor in place.

So getting such a ban isn't impossible, it just takes a lot of work and good timing.

As long as Bev Perdue and her cronies are in Raleigh, though, it will be a VERY difficult battle. Ms. Perdue has a checkered past when it comes to gun control. She is in favor of GFSZ, trigger locks, and increased regulation on private sales. However, she had an NRA endorsement in the last election, for some strange reason.

The delegates from Raleigh, the RTP area, and Charlotte are also very anti-2A, and until we kick them out of office and replace them with pro-2A delegates, it will be tough to get the "restaurant/theater ban" repealed here in NC.

Hopefully in 2012, we can show them the door, and put more 2A-friendly representatives into the Legislature...

jessica2886

imported post

As long as Bev Perdue and her cronies are in Raleigh, though, it will be a VERY difficult battle. Ms. Perdue has a checkered past when it comes to gun control. She is in favor of GFSZ, trigger locks, and increased regulation on private sales. However, she had an NRA endorsement in the last election, for some strange reason.

The delegates from Raleigh, the RTP area, and Charlotte are also very anti-2A, and until we kick them out of office and replace them with pro-2A delegates, it will be tough to get the "restaurant/theater ban" repealed here in NC.

Hopefully in 2012, we can show them the door, and put more 2A-friendly representatives into the Legislature...

What if the women of OC (and beyond!) were to write letters describing how incidents have occured near these ban zones in which the use of a gun they were permitted to carry saved their lives and/or ensured their safety as well as others?

I don't just go to matinee movie showings because it's cheaper.I go because there is light! And untill I have my permit and a gun, I am hoping the laws change. I want a night where I don't have to worry for my safety; where my friends and I don't have to worry about when we go see a movie, or go to a dance club. There are certainly some situations where pepper spray is VERY useless.

*steps off her soap box*

Thank you,

J

airwolf09

imported post

is this right get stripped from us recently? or we never did have this right from the begin when they allow us to OC or CC?
I used to live in MA and you guy know what? MA is a very restricted state but they allow to carry in restaurant where alcohol is serve as well as state park, state/national forest, WMA's and don't have to inform LEO that you carry either.

if I have to take it off and lock it in the trunk of the car, I would rather live it at home and never carry it as I don't feel safe living it in my car. if I forgot to lock the door then someone can pop the trunk open and take my gun and use it against me.:X:cry:

BTW, I did sign the petition. I will ask my wife to sign it too.;)

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

airwolf09 wrote:
if I have to take it off and lock it in the trunk of the car, I would rather live it at home and never carry it as I don't feel safe living it in my car. if I forgot to lock the door then someone can pop the trunk open and take my gun and use it against me.:X:cry:

I understand. Fortunately, my 02 Accord allows me to lock the trunk in such a manner that it cannot be opened without a key. The glove box can be locked as well. Unfortunately, this is the car my wife usually drives, and my 2004 Lancer does not have the same features, so I bought a gun safe for my car from Center of Mass: http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

These are very affordable & allow me to SAFELY leave my SR9 in my Lancer should I be going somewhere that I cannot carry.

aadvark

imported post

You know..., that is the problem with 'The South'. Every Southern State has a different Firearm Prohibition for a different [vague] reason, I explain:

1. North Carolina Firearm Prohibition-Assemblies and Establishments

2. Georgia Firearm Prohibition-Public Gatherings

3. Alabama Firearm Prohibition-Public Demonstrations

4. South Carolina Prohibiton-Public Place, in general, no Open Carry at all, less Long guns,

5. Tennessee Firearm Prohibition-Public Place, in general, meetings etc.., and

6. Arkansas Firearm Prohibition-everywhere, no Open Carry, less Long guns

Something needs to change, but until then, we can all thank our best friend Jim Crow.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

aadvark wrote:
You know..., that is the problem with 'The South'. Every Southern State has a different Firearm Prohibition for a different [vague] reason, I explain:

1. North Carolina Firearm Prohibition-Assemblies and Establishments

2. Georgia Firearm Prohibition-Public Gatherings

3. Alabama Firearm Prohibition-Public Demonstrations

4. South Carolina Prohibiton-Public Place, in general, no Open Carry at all, less Long guns,

5. Tennessee Firearm Prohibition-Public Place, in general, meetings etc.., and

6. Arkansas Firearm Prohibition-everywhere, no Open Carry, less Long guns

Something needs to change, but until then, we can all thank our best friend Jim Crow.

You said vague reason at first, and then ended it with Jim Crow. Heh heh.

Definitely have Mr. Crow to thank. Can't have them negros walkin' around protecting themselves and their loved ones! They may actually know how to use those guns.

Yea, I guess states are being states, different which is why they all have something quirky and different about their laws. The ultimate goal was the same.

You know what's funny, and I'll be honest, I only learned about Jim Crow-policy involvment with gun laws recently (as I got more into the history and politics), there are people, that have lived right here in North Carolina, in Greensboro, for years, born here, their family is from here, and they've never heard of Jim Crow laws. I thought that stuff was mainstream knowledge.

Dreamer

imported post

The teaching of the origins of Jim Crow laws disappeared in American Public schools at about the same time that the Civil Rights movement really started to gain victories in the mid-to-late 1960's. When minorities started to be perceived as a large voting block (rather than a tolerable nuisance) by the political system in this country, there were moved made in the government and education system to remove this bit of history. The reason was that the politicians didn't want Blacks and Hispanics to remember that the GOVERNMENT had been responsible for their oppression.

Rather than teach the history of Jim Crow, which would hav fostered a healthy distrust for government in the Jeffersonian tradition, the government attempted to erase all history of Jim Crow traditions and policies from the historical record (at least in education), so they could then move to educate people that it was the government who GAVE these minority groups their rights, and therefore foster feelings of dependence ON the government for their freedom and safety (which, in the context of our Founding Fathers writings is functionally opposed to true Liberty).

This is why so many minorites believe that the government is the answer to all the problems of society. They have been taught that if it weren't for the government, they'd all still be slaves. However, the FACT of the matter is that any People who believe they are DEPENDENT on their government for rights or liberty are, in fact, slaves of a different sort.

Rights do not come FROM government. The Government exists because we, the People ALLOW it to exist, and our Rights exist EXTERNAL of any form of government, because they are NATURAL rights. It is the job of Government to take care of the business of society--regulate trade, establish proper weights and measures, provide national defense, etc. It is the job of the People to ensure that the Government doesn't overstep it's bounds as outlined in the Constitution.

When the People allow the Government to become self-regulating, and the People relinquish their civil DUTY to keep the government in check, tyranny will inevitably result.

And THIS is why We The People should never let our government play "Chinese Menu" with the Bill of Rights. It's NOT called the "List of Options". You can't pick one from column A and one from Column B. It's an all-or-nothing document. Each segment of the Bill of Rights is inextricably intertwined with the other, and they ALL are held in place by the twin keystones of the First and Second Amendments.

Any law that aims to disable ANY of the points made in the Constitution is, by definition, UN-Constitutional. We would do well to remember that, and to regularly and strongly remind our elected officials that such attempts to wheedle away at the Supreme Law of the Land will NOT be tolerated, and will be met strongly and swiftly with decisive action at the Polls.

The shackles of slavery are not always forged in iron--they can be just as strong and oppressive when inscribed on paper. We need to remember that EVERY day...

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Although I ama Virginia resident I signed the petition with my residency noted, because I would otherwise shop in North Carolina on occasion, but I choose to bypass NC for Roanoke and Richmond instead.