• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nice places in Dallas/Ft. Worth

I

inNV

imported post

This is not really a gun/OC relating question, but what parts around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area are best to live in? Each city/area has it's good and bad areas. For instance, in Vegas where I live, best parts are south, west and southwest, north and east being the worst. I might be moving there soon and have no clue where to look.

I was looking at a map of Dallas area, and it seems it's broken up into smaller areas and small cities near by.

Thanks

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Yes, this is not gun-related so you really should ask this elsewhere.

For example, you should ask this at the CityData (Google it) online forums...find the oneconcerning Texas and ask questions there (after you read some Dallas/Ft. Worth posts first). CityData forums are one place (among others) people shouldgo in order to research some city/town/villagethey might want to move to since people responding actually live there or have lived there and can tell you THEIR experiences. You can find out about neighborhoods, crime, schools, employment opportunites (or lack thereof), cost of living and other things you should research BEFORE actually moving.

Well, at least to SOME degree you can find out these things!

I mean thatthe CityData forums are heavily and unfairly censored, meaning they do not allow people to speak the truth about a place if said truth is negative (usually people who try to post something addressing crime problems, race discrimination or other raceissues, language and or reverse discrimination, etc.) -- even posting about the pros of gun ownership and carry (due to crime stats of some place) can get you in trouble -- so you don't get the full picture, i.e., BOTH sides of the story...the good AND bad points of a city/town/village.

The Mods seem to allow good news -- and lots of warm-and-fuzzy BS that has little to do with reality (yeah, LOTS of liberals over there posting AND running the site)-- but the bad news they delete posts or even ban people who try to address reality, so they don't care if you only hear the GOOD stuff. I am SURE somepeople have probably moved to some place -- hearing only the good -- and found out the bad AFTER they moved (no jobs available, poor wages, high crime rates, sorry schools, that you have no employent/career future if you only speak English, and so on...that's pretty sorry of the site but that's how it is over there, and the site owner/Admin seems to be just as unfair as he backs up his sorry Mods. I don't see how only hearing the good is really helpful, as I believe people should hear the bad, too, then let THEM make up their minds, not the Mods cutting out the negative.

Still, you can read through threads about Dallas/Ft. Worth (there should be many since these are big cities) to find lots of opinions and post your own specific questions...just take what is said cautiously. Look for the COMPLETE pictureelsewhere, but CityData is one place to check out and make up your own mind on it. So goto CityDatato ask things like this. It's not for researching just about Texas of course,as there are forums for all thethe states, too.

As well, it lists lots of demographical info for each place...which is also very good (and unlike the "subjective" forums, the demographics data is unbiased census facts and figures).

Two other sites to check out along these lines -- researching places in which you may want to live -- are "Sperlings Best Places" and "Epodunk."

Good luck,

-- John D.

I

inNV

imported post

So instead of maybe giving a little bit of an opinion concerning my question, you instead posted a 521 word post for me to go to a site that may or may not be accurate?

Thanks...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nevada Boy,

First, no one owes youANY response at all in ANY online forum, including this one. I did you a favor by reponding to your OT post, and I was polite, too. So that was Favor # 1.

Second, I could have blasted you for being OT, but I didn't. Favor # 2.

Third, Igave you direction to THREE sites -- one of which is biased in their Forum postings but STILL has SOME value, AS I SAID-- to go check out (go there and DECIDE FOR YOURSELF if I am right about their being biased). Favor # 3.

Fourth, I warnedyou about that one site in case so you didn't end up like some people I know how believedALL the positive things said there and moved...to find out different later. Favor # 4.

4favors and you get rude & snarly.

So the conclusion is you're just a sorry jerk -- since I didn't see any emoticons indicating you were joking -- and I shouldn't have responded at all. But I didn't know that then. Do now.

Regardless,I will leave what I posted in case other people who have manners, class and courtesy, might be moving soon and didn't know about these sites...since YOU brought the topic up and it's already here in the record.

Finally, loser, I will (1) write as much as I want -- if you don't like it, don't read it and/or killfile me, and (2) I do not do legwork for people -- I show them where to go to do thework for themselves. But in this case -- you being apparently a lazy SOB on top of needing to be bitch-slapped-- want to be spoon-fed and don'tWANT to do any reasearch for yourself. TS.

YOU werethe one asking for help, but since you're a sorry ingrate, you don't instruct peopleHOW to help or HOW to write responses. After all, beggars can't be choosers.

So I'm glad you were put so out reading my response.

Oh, BTW, you're welcome.

-- John D.

I

inNV

imported post

Well, loser, I did research in other places but I wanted the opinion of GUN OWNERS. If I wanted someone on here to give me places to research, I would have asked that. I guess they lied when they said how friendly Texas is...or maybe you're the exemption?

I think something like this: (example from my first post)

For instance, in Vegas where I live, best parts are south, west and southwest, north and east being the worst.

Is not really "legwork". But hey, maybe you Texans have a different idea of what "work" really is..

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybethe "best part of town"means living in an upscale area, with nice-looking neighborhoods, nice parks, low crime rates, lots of shopping/restaurants, good schools, great employment/careeropportunity, they speak ENGLISH there (!)...vs. a run-down, crime-ridden hell-hole with grafitti, flop houses/public housing problems, trash (human and otherwise), junked cars and street punks hanging out here and there. Obviously, the former would be a "good"area, the latter "bad." But all that has nothing to do with guns necessarily, andyou didn't say anything about guns anywhere in your post.

Sowhat are "gun owners" (most of which seem to be liberals in everything else besides the gun issue) supposed to say that would be different than an average decent citizen?You didn't specify what you wanted.

Plus,YOU even saidyour postwasn'tgun-related.And you didn't say you had done any other research on this. So what are we supposed to be, mindreaders?

So be more clear WTH you're asking next time.

And even if people give you answers you don't like, they STILL tried to help you. Learn some manners (if your parents didn't teach you "please" and"thank you") and thank responders for at least trying. As I said, they didn't even have to bother.

Lastly,TexansgenerallyARE friendly -- but I'm not a Texan.

-- John D.

nonameisgood

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I'm not a Texan.

-- John D.
Obviously.

The OP was for Dallas, so how about letting us Dallasites answer. Better late than never.

Look in the neighborhoods of Lake Highlands, Lakewood, Spring Valley, and parts of Forest Meadow and Fair Oaks.

Northern suburbs of Plano, Murphy, Richardson, Carrollton, and Farmers Branch are generally good (some places better than others.) Far northern suburbs (Frisco, et al) are generally good, but require lots of commuting in traffic to get to town.

To the east, near Lake Ray Hubbard, is Rowlett which is good. Rockwall, across the lake is variable but mostly good. Watch out for the lowlands between Rowlett and Garland off 66, west of Rowlett Road - there is stench from the waste water facility that only hits at certain times, but would ruin your enjoyment.

Parts of Garland are fine, but house resale value may suffer from from having a Garland address.

Stay away from Fair Park, or anything south of IH-30, including the towns to the south, until you get to Waxahachie on IH-35.

---
Sorry for being tardy to the topic. I don't visit OCDO very often because of the attitude of certain people I see all over the forum.

Some of us don't want to secede, don't disrespect our president unnecessarily, and don't think everyone is out to get us. If you want good neighbors with good attitudes, you may like Dallas.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

nonameisgood wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
I'm not a Texan.

-- John D.
Obviously.

The OP was for Dallas, so how about letting us Dallasites answer. Better late than never.

Look in the neighborhoods of Lake Highlands, Lakewood, Spring Valley, and parts of Forest Meadow and Fair Oaks.

Northern suburbs of Plano, Murphy, Richardson, Carrollton, and Farmers Branch are generally good (some places better than others.) Far northern suburbs (Frisco, et al) are generally good, but require lots of commuting in traffic to get to town.

To the east, near Lake Ray Hubbard, is Rowlett which is good. Rockwall, across the lake is variable but mostly good. Watch out for the lowlands between Rowlett and Garland off 66, west of Rowlett Road - there is stench from the waste water facility that only hits at certain times, but would ruin your enjoyment.

Parts of Garland are fine, but house resale value may suffer from from having a Garland address.

Stay away from Fair Park, or anything south of IH-30, including the towns to the south, until you get to Waxahachie on IH-35.

---
Sorry for being tardy to the topic. I don't visit OCDO very often because of the attitude of certain people I see all over the forum.

Some of us don't want to secede, don't disrespect our president unnecessarily, and don't think everyone is out to get us. If you want good neighbors with good attitudes, you may like Dallas.

All good advice. I'll only add that a few areas to the south and west of town are also good. Some parts of Grand Prairie are nice, particularly those that border Joe Pool lake. Similarly and next door, Cedar Hill in southwest Dallas County is having a huge growth spurt and reminds me of Plano/Richardson/Frisco when they were taking off. On the Fort Worth side of town, there are many places in Tarrant County that are nice.

Welcome to North Texas!

SA-TX

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

First off, if you're relocating for work, where will you be going?

Out here in DFW, the commute matters. I can't offer any suggestions on where to live until then.

C-dub

imported post

Very true. I am also in the DFW area. A 30-60 minute commute would not be out of the ordinary either due to distance or direction of traffic at the time. My daily commute is 21 miles one way and generally only takes 30-35 minutes. It is mostly highway. I'm going the opposite direction of most and the only real delay for me is just getting to and from the highway. There are many circumstances that you might travel the same distance and it would be normal to take an hour or more to get there.

I

inNV

imported post

Wow, it's been a while since I been on here, I forgot about this. Anyway, sorry I was rather rude before, I was probably having a bad day.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

As far as why I am moving, it's just for relocation and the high volume of corporations in Texas. I have no clue where I (or my wife) would work, but one of us would be employed prior to moving. But Dallas is at the top of the list.

nonameisgood

imported post

Come on down. I was born nearby, moved here at 5 months (with my family :) and have lived elsewhere from time to time, but seem to gravitate back.

It was pointed out by a friend that Dallas has little to offer in the way of activities, except shopping.