• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC question for a newbie.....Auto questions

SchaferShooter

imported post

I obtained my permit(s) and used one of them to purchase my first handgun, yesterday (Springfield Arms Fully Loaded 1911 ACP .45 Mil Spec). LOVE the gun.

Preface....I AM going to take my CCW class, soon.

I would like to know what my responsibilities are when traveling in NC with my holstered, loaded handgun.

It ALWAYS remains in plain sight (while I am in the truck).....and my intention would be to leave it on the console, if pulled over by a LEO. I would also be VERY sure to make my hands visible AND annaounce the fact that I have a legal handgun in the car and that it is not concealed (until I have my CCW).

I'm NOT trying to act like I know all the rules. I'm stating what my intentions are, knowing what little I do know at this time.

Sincerely,

J

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think you've got it there buddy. Until you have that CCW, don't even accidentally cover it up with a book or coat or anything like that.

Read the law to be sure you know exactly where or what to look out for as far as places where prohibited. Look at local city/county ordinances as well in places you live or will be visiting. Places are different.

SchaferShooter

imported post

Thank you. I failed to ask......so I will, now.

My intention is to have the gun holstered......but with a loaded magazine. I also carry an extra (loaded) mag. in the holster.

Is this "legal"?

Thanks for the information.

J