• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Be proactive and change the perspective of OC

American Sheepdog

imported post

Both sides on this issue have valid points. Glock 19 makes a great point, that LEO's are not considerate of you when they perform an investigation on you (IE: whenever they approach and inquire of your identity). As a former LEO myself, I can say with impunity, that we assuredly preyed on the ignorance of the public. It's very easy for a LEO to discern whether a person is knowledgable of the law or not by how they respond. If you are a person who flaps at the gums and answers every question the LEO asks, you can therefore be considered ignorant of the law and are fair game. Blasting LEO's for hanging you out to dry because you cannot keep your mouth shut, or by showing video of someone flapping their gums to LEO's, then slamming those LEO's for holding you on the stop for 30 minutes is complete nonsense. LEO's will always force you to talk. If you exercize your 5th, and then a minute later say something, then you have voluntarily gave up your 5th, and are now fair game. You must reinstate your 5th verbally again to breing the questioning to a stop, or at least the harassment. What you say will put you away. Conversing with LEO's while detained buries you. The more you talk about your rights to them, the more you piss them off, and the more they will single you out. The videos prove it. The videos are excellent training for "how NOT to act when detained by LEO's." I also agree the LEO's need to be taken to task when they blatantly violate your rights. But showing stupidity in the form of jabbering at the mouth shows an ignorance for the law, and puts the officer in a better light than you, because they completely owned you as long as you kept talking. They will not release you as long as they believe they can get you to say something that will hang you. If they keep you on a stop for more than 20 minutes for no reason, then they can be sued for unlawful detention and harassment. Again, the term "reasonable" comes to mind. I was ALWAYS told to release someone within 20 minutes if I had no lawful reason to further detain a person. Everyone should have a LEO OC pamphlet with them at all times. Everything a LEO needs to know is in there and there is NOTHING you can say to make it better for you. ANYTHING you say WILL BE HELD AGAINST YOU! Not for you! Be nice and courtious. Follow the law without coming across as a lawyer. LEO's hate lawyers more than anything. Use your brains AND the law and you have the upper hand. Just using the law and leaving your brains at home will get you hung every time...especially when you have a gun on your hip.
Long Live the Republic!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
SNIP If you exercize your 5th, and then a minute later say something, then you have voluntarily gave up your 5th, and are now fair game. 1) You must reinstate your 5th verbally again to breing the questioning to a stop...2) If they keep you on a stop for more than 20 minutes for no reason, then they can be sued for unlawful detention and harassment.
Cites, please.

1A) Cite for reinstating 5A verbally.

1B) Cite for a citizen invoking 5A requires police to stopquestioning during a detention.

2) Cite for keeping someone on a stop for 20 minutes for no reason being unlawful.

eastmeyers

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
if you contact the tv news your self and say..hey do i have a police harrassment story for you...ie;jackson pd... they will come,they love dirt!!!!!
But the media is very lib and very "anti-gun", they will most likely not cover it at all, and if they do it will be one sided, like "gun nuts, harrass cops", or "gun nuts fishing for a law suit".

American Sheepdog

imported post

I really like Glock19. He's thinking like a street smart individual with a handle on the politics of the real world.

If I am detained while lawfully OC'ing, my impression of the intent of the officer will be very sudden. If the encounter shows a friendly confrontation, and the LEO LEARNS from his superiors that I am within the law, and he politely sends me on my way without any punishment...I will take the encounter at face value and realize that an education just took place...with no hard feelings. If the same officer repeats an encounter, knowing full well the law he previously learned, then City Council will be forced to take disciplinary action toward the LEO or be sued. I am not in the mood to have my rights completely fractured by any LEO with a vendetta. I completely support my local LEO's. But the laws are clear, so long as I carry myself in a professional and respectful manner according to the law, and become a helping hand to society, then LEO's have absolutely no lawful reason to approach me and violate my rights (detain me). Give credit to the LEO's who hold your rights as soverign. Take to task those who seek to fracture them. Very few people are willing to take them to task, which makes it harder on the rest of us. Laws can be, and are twisted and bent. Just make sure the violations of your rights are extraordinary before filing suit. Cut and dry violations cannot be overlooked by judges and jury's. Repated offenses go a long way to making your case. We DO NOT wish to penalize LEO's who are acting reasonably, or have respect for our rights. But abusive departmental policies must be confronted or they will continue. It's just a fact.

American Sheepdog

imported post

CORRECTION! If you are being interrogated, and you ask for an attorney, then questioning must stop. But...and a big but here...LEO's can keep talking TO you without ASKING questions. This is a tactic to get you to say just one word, then all bets are off. But if you are simply exercising your 5th, then they can keep asking questions. It's up to you to answer or not. I got the two activities mixed up.
Citizen brought this to my attention...properly!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
CORRECTION! If you are being interrogated, and you ask for an attorney, then questioning must stop. But...and a big but here...LEO's can keep talking TO you without ASKING questions. This is a tactic to get you to say just one word, then all bets are off. But if you are simply exercising your 5th, then they can keep asking questions. It's up to you to answer or not. I got the two activities mixed up.
Citizen brought this to my attention...properly!

Apparently you still haven't gotten the idea of citing authority when stating a rule of law.

Your last thread was first locked and then deleted over your repeated drama and evasions to avoid providing citations to your declarations.

The proper response is not to correct any statements. The proper response is to provide a citation. In fact it is proper to provide citationswithout being asked.

The cute little comment about me at the end isn'ta compliment, its a diversion.

Provide your citations as required by Forum Rule #7. You are not some law-giver.

And, for anything that isn't changing, don't forget to go back and provide citations for the rest of the stuff:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
SNIP If you exercize your 5th, and then a minute later say something, then you have voluntarily gave up your 5th, and are now fair game. 1) You must reinstate your 5th verbally again to breing the questioning to a stop...2) If they keep you on a stop for more than 20 minutes for no reason, then they can be sued for unlawful detention and harassment.
Cites, please.

1A) Cite for reinstating 5A verbally.

1B) Cite for a citizen invoking 5A requires police to stopquestioning during a detention.

2) Cite for keeping someone on a stop for 20 minutes for no reason being unlawful.

Glock 19

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:
if you contact the tv news your self and say..hey do i have a police harrassment story for you...ie;jackson pd... they will come,they love dirt!!!!!
But the media is very lib and very "anti-gun", they will most likely not cover it at all, and if they do it will be one sided, like "gun nuts, harrass cops", or "gun nuts fishing for a law suit".
the local media not so much libs, the news director wants stories bottom line...i grew up around the local media...trust me on this...

mikestilly

imported post

Its very much lame stream lib media. How many times do you see the lame stream lib media networks balance their broadcasts showing both sides of Obamanation? The media now a days looks state run to me. My Only one station I know does that. Ever watch MSNBC (Obama TV)? lol no point in going on about this but the media is very liberal so bad I only watch one news channel. I used to watch a variety but it got pretty pointless.

Glock 19

imported post

a2fireball wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:
Several days ago I told Mr. Jeff's that he ran me off, well I stepped back took another look at his comments:

1) How long do we have to put up with the "barney fifes" before we say enough is enough

2) The police are not your brother or your friend, there job is to charge you with crimes and they are trained in how to violate your rights( you are wrong with this statement)

And i looked at kimberguy's vido with the JPD, and the harassing that is going on in Jackson, is wrong and BS!! But look at it from a different aspect, and that is, how MIOC is promoting itself. If you want oc'ing to be accepted by the LEO community and the public community, you have to be proactive and change the perspective of it and change the attitude of the above statements.

If you the MIOC want to be accepted by LEO community and the public, then start with holding a "summit" or conference with the top cops of each county until you get them all. Sit down with the top cops of each Dept. and the PA's and invite the director of the MSP academy along with the other police academy's EDUCATE THEM then hold a public forum, invite the news media the street cops,EDUCATE THEM

You say "we did this"...well do it again, BECAUSE WALKING AROUND TOWN SHOWING A GUN ON YOUR HIP IS'NT CUTTING IT!!! It was said several times, it "freaks people out"I did not know you existed until i came across the web site. MIOC held a picnic in the flint area a couple years back..I've worked in flint for almost 10 yrs. never heard of MIOC WHY??? NO PR WORK IS BEING DONE!!!

All you are doing is putting a stick in the bee hive and irritating the hive,STOP DOING THAT!!!EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE!!!!!!!

why not use the wash, rinse ,and repeat approach.

Wash( sit down hold a summit and train the top cops so they can train the work force)

Rinse (hold a public forum, with the media coverage, )

Repeat (until it starts to work)

Mr. Jeffs said:We did officially by snail mail send out the information to all 83 county sheriffs. What they do with it I can't control. I have also sent the information to many major PD's in the state.Many smaller PD's may not have access to the information, but I think the word around andmost PD's are aware of OC( needs to be done agian??)

You can look at it another way, The President of the UNITED STATES has to "sell the American public his policy so we stand behind him...right??!! So sell OPEN CARRY!! you just can't rely on sending out LEO packets and hopingit gets around by word ofmouth, YOU HAVE TO SELL IT!!!!

This just my view of a great movement and of MIOC but just step back for a minute and take another look at how you can get it out there and "why oc is not accepted by LEO's and the public".

I know that some Depts have somebad apples in them, well, lets work to turn them around.

I'd have to say the police ARE trained in how to violate your rights. Put another way; they are trained to get you give up your rights as well.

A lot of things freak people out. Too bad! Purple hair freakes people out. Black people freak people out in certain communities. Gays freak people out. Muslims freak people out. Certain uniforms freak people out. Certain kinds of music freaks people out. Motorcycles freak people out. A lot of different things freak some people out. Someone being freaked out, afraid, worried...is not a legal reason for LEO to demand ID. The fact remains, OC is not against the law in the State of Michigan and Michigan is NOT a show ID state.

Equating law enforcement to a beehive that we should be afraid of and be wary of bothering is nonsense to me. People who are not committing a crime should NEVER be harassed by the police! EVER!

In June of 2008, the OC event in Burton was reported extensively by the Flint Journal.
apparently not, since i worked in the flint area for the last 10 yrs or so and never saw it on the boob tube or on any of the local stations ie;TV5 or TV25 because they cover that area also.

American Sheepdog

imported post

Glock 19 wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:
the local media not so much libs, the news director wants stories bottom line...i grew up around the local media...trust me on this...
The local media up here is pretty well fair. They post my views in their letters to the editor section all the time. They have a small town outlook and seem to gravitate conservative. They would give OC a favorable, fair story.

WARCHILD

imported post

the Flint Journal.

Was not televised, only reported in the journal. Sat edition, Sun (web edition) and a follow up article on Mon. The initial story is posted here in the news events thread.

Glock 19

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Its very much lame stream lib media. How many times do you see the lame stream lib media networks balance their broadcasts showing both sides of Obamanation? The media now a days looks state run to me. My Only one station I know does that. Ever watch MSNBC (Obama TV)? lol no point in going on about this but the media is very liberal so bad I only watch one news channel. I used to watch a variety but it got pretty pointless.
yes the national networks are very lib!! i strongly agree with that locals want stories no stories no job

Glock 19

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
the Flint Journal.

Was not televised, only reported in the journal. Sat edition, Sun (web edition) and a follow up article on Mon. The initial story is posted here in the news events thread.

yes i think i did see the posting here on it...but thats not going to cut it, one story almost 2 yrs ago in the paper that nobody reads any more( not just the flint -j but the rest of the papers) need to get it to TV.

Glock 19

imported post

American Sheepdog wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
Glock 19 wrote:
The local media up here is pretty well fair. They post my views in their letters to the editor section all the time. They have a small town outlook and seem to gravitate conservative. They would give OC a favorable, fair story.
hey my wifes cousin does the weather( well reads it) for some local radio station up in al-penis

choover

imported post

I think at this point most police are aware, more people Ocing will help the public learn. I think that is why a lot of people OC to raise awareness.

Glock 19

imported post

choover wrote:
I think at this point most police are aware, more people Ocing will help the public learn. I think that is why a lot of people OC to raise awareness.
yes that maybe true but you still have to knock on or down the door of the local leaders and "pound it" into them if you want acceptance, regardless of rights or law.(that will get in hot water agian with some one)