• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FBI Bullet tests...pass or fail

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

A few 2-3-5 years back (it's been a while) I had the pleasure of shootingalongside a ballistics guru retired from the FBI. He was involved in designing and evaluating ammuntionusedbythe organization.

I was walking down range to checkmy targets, and I saw jacket shrapnel that looked a little odd, instead of copper, it was brass, and it was exapnded into curled back petals like you see on the Talon rounds. Nasty looking stuff for sure

I did not know who this guy was or his history at the time, but I asked him if he had ever seen a jacketed round that looked like what was on the ground. He said "yup, those are from me" I asked what he was shooting and he said it was a round that I would not see in any store. We walked back to the shooting bench, and he opened a box of .45ACP with semibrass-jacketed ammunition with some agressive looking expansion initiating cuts in them. I asked where he got those, and if it was a little expensive to be shooting ammo like that, then he told me where it came from, it purpose, and how it got designed.

The guy was a treasure trove of information, I wish I could have had a digital recorder handy when talking to this guy because he had so much knowledge on ballistics.

I wish I could remember half of the stuff I learned that day.

Anyone else ever see brass-jacketed hollowpoint handgun ammo in .45ACP?

Haman J.T.

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
A few 2-3-5 years back (it's been a while) I had the pleasure of shootingalongside a ballistics guru retired from the FBI. He was involved in designing and evaluating ammuntionusedbythe organization.

I was walking down range to checkmy targets, and I saw jacket shrapnel that looked a little odd, instead of copper, it was brass, and it was exapnded into curled back petals like you see on the Talon rounds. Nasty looking stuff for sure

I did not know who this guy was or his history at the time, but I asked him if he had ever seen a jacketed round that looked like what was on the ground. He said "yup, those are from me" I asked what he was shooting and he said it was a round that I would not see in any store. We walked back to the shooting bench, and he opened a box of .45ACP with semibrass-jacketed ammunition with some agressive looking expansion initiating cuts in them. I asked where he got those, and if it was a little expensive to be shooting ammo like that, then he told me where it came from, it purpose, and how it got designed.

The guy was a treasure trove of information, I wish I could have had a digital recorder handy when talking to this guy because he had so much knowledge on ballistics.

TheKunk47 would know.He's an ammo manufacturer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Nutczak wrote:

Sounds a lot like Federal HST - except that they do not separate and retain virtually 100% of their original weight.

Yata hey

Fishous

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Federal Effective Full Metal Jacket EFMJ is copper jacketed enclosing a plastic pill in the hollow and with IIRC scores inside the jacket. This is my carry ammo in .40 and .45.
It's Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ).

Michigander

imported post

Tests like this are easy enough to conduct on your own. Just take a wet pack, (a phone book or bound stack of news papers) and soak it for 24-36 hours. This will simulate mammal organs and muscles, and not have to be refrigerated like ballistic gelatin. You can put old coats in front of them, plus dry wall, wood, glass bottles, whatever you want that you can imagine having to shoot through.

Evil creamsicle and I recently conducted this type of test on some home made HP ammo that we made with my smelter. Failed miserably. It's a very effective yet cheap way to test ammo.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
Sounds a lot like Federal HST - except that they do not separate and retain virtually 100% of their original weight.

Yata hey

You also got to remember these rounds were hitting theground which wascomprised of mostlysand with rocks after passing through the paper target, almost any bullet (besides a solid) willcome apart that way .

These projectilesdid not have acopper jacket material, it was defenitelybrass, that is why it caught me attention so much.

Bronson

imported post

Also, the distance a round travels in water is roughly 1.5 to 2 times the distance it will travel in ballistics gel. A gallon jug of water is 6 inches across its widest point so you can line them up and get a ball park on bullet penetration.

I was surprised as hell when my friends 9mm Hornady TAP ammo failed to exapand in water. We tried 3 shots through two layers of denim and all three punched straight through 5 jugs of water with an exit hole only slightly larger than the entrance.

We had the same results with Winchester Silvertips out of a .32 acp.

Bronson

SlowDog

imported post

This is why I carry Speer Gold Dot ammo in my 45acp. In gallon jugs of water it averages 99.8 percent weight retention and an average expansion to .74. That's huge!!

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Fishous wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Federal Effective Full Metal Jacket EFMJ is copper jacketed enclosing a plastic pill in the hollow and with IIRC scores inside the jacket. This is my carry ammo in .40 and .45.
It's Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ).
Thank you. You are correct and it is good ammo.

wally1120

imported post

I dont much care for the Speer GoldDots, or the Winchester Silver Tips. I have seen both rounds get clogged up from just dry wall, And they didnt expand, They actually shrunk. The GD hit the drywall going straight, then started to spin sideways, That isn`t right at all. I have since changed my carry ammo. I carry Federal Hydra Shock`s, Corbon Pow R Ball`s as my SD ammo, And love the 2 rounds they have expanded the way that they were supposed to, With what ever I put the bullet through.

Wglide90

imported post

I just switched to Win PDX1 40 cal from the Silvertips. The claim is that the PDX1s meet FBI test protocol.

Test results I've seen show these to had the best energy transfer, expansion and great penetration.

I got 4 boxes this weekend.

Gonna check them out at range soon.

mel5051

imported post

I use Cor Bon 9mm +P JHP 115gr, Federal Hydra Shok JHP 135 gr

I believe what you saw the federal person using was indeed Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement Ammunition the 9mm version being 9mm Luger +P 124gr SXT

Mel