• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help! holster options for a big guy

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I recently got my cpl, I am having a hard time researching holsters online, I know this is a bit off topic but could you guys give me some help?

I am a big guy about 350 lbs, and am having a hard time finding a comfortable holster option, here is why.

anything around my waist is going to be very uncomfortable, poking and proding me.

I am thinking a shoulder holster is going to be my most viable option, can anyone help point me in a direction? I am a bit barrel chested and will need something with a lot of length. I also am going to be carrying a glock model 27 which is a subcompact 40 cal

thanks!

jeremy05

imported post

hmmm, what have you tried? Are in the waist band not an option? You can be 350 and not a huge fattie, or you can be a 350 pounds of just fat. Sounds rude, but theres a difference. Anyways Get a good belt, and a good holster.

I would have advised against such a small gun for a large guy! Its not like you are having a hard time concealing the gun, so a 23 or 22 may have "fit" better on you.

Uncle mikes makes some good shoulder harnesses, but get the belt attachments so its not bouncing all over the place.

eastmeyers

imported post

I'm a big guy too, I also have a Glock 27 and it was my first carry pistol. Just wear an undershirt and tuck it in. I ALWAYS wear a wifebeater now. It helps termendiously, the great thing about Glock is double action, to hammer in your side, if you open carry it makes it easier!

God Bless

Michigander

imported post

Are you looking to OC? CC only? Maybe need one rig that can work for everything?

Here are some ideas. I apologize if I am making an incorrect assumption, but it sounds like you wouldn't be the sort to want a belt? For an OC/CC with a big shirt or coat, you could use a dedicated gun belt that was loose. As in one of the thick ones that will be rigid and probably way too big to go through your belt loops. To keep it in place for the purpose of being able to draw, you could tie the belt to a belt loop with a piece of rope. Loose enough to be comfortable, secure enough to carry, and maintain the ability to draw real fast. .

I am approximately 170-180 pounds, and 5' 9.5-10" tall. Rather lean. I can CC my 4.5" barreled Sig by merely sticking it in my side pocket. Best not to do that with a hot chamber, that's the only draw back. That and it has a tendency to print a little. If I was going to do that with a Glock, I'd do it by having a pulled back trigger on an empty chamber, to make sure it was safe before sticking it in my pocket.

As far as shoulder holsters, I've met a lot of people with a lot of different opinions on them. One thing most agree about it that they tend to be rather slow to draw from a concealed position. But few agree on what is the best kind to use, because they will tend to fit different people differently. A shoulder holster is the sort of thing you should try on at a gun store to try to find your favorite kind. And if money is an issue like it is for most people these days, you can just be slick and order the one you liked from the web.

CoonDog

imported post

My daily carry is a "high ride" Safariland 6287, and fits snug to my body...if I were any bigger, it would be uncomfortable because the "sentry" just barely sticks right up to my side. I'm 5'9", 175 lbs. If you want a belt holster, you can look for a "mid ride" or "low ride" variant. I also have the Safariland 6280 (duty holster) and it's labeled "mid-ride", but it actually leans away from the body, so it may perform like a low-rider. On the 6280, the adjustment screws were sticking into my side, but with them out it's comfortable. If you click on the "360 View", you can see how the holster leans away from the belt loops.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6280

The 6285 looks like it sits even lower and also leans away from the body like the 6280.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6285

At the end of the day, you might have to actually try one on to see.

I'm surprised Michigander didn't recommend a secondary belt...a belt just for your holster (separate from your pants belt). I've seen him wear the 6280 like this and it seems like it could offer more room. With his leather hat, he looks like a modern day cowboy. :D

SlowDog

imported post

I am a big guy...around your size...I carry a Springer 1911 and/or a Bersa 380. The first thing I did was get a nice extra thick belt....which I found was easier by going to Tandy Leather and getting what I needed and making it myself. I then shopped around for something that didnt bite into my side. I found a High Noon Holster that is like the classic Slide Holster and holds my 1911 tight to the body without digging into me. I also have a Fobus holster & an uncle Mikes shoulder holster. I have a middle of the back for my Bersa & 1911.

Keep in mind when wearing a shoulder holster if it faces to the rear and you take off your coat people get real uncomfortable with the barrel pointing back at them if they are behind you. I also made a seperate belt for carrying my Ruger 44mag while hunting because it goes over all my clothes. But it has made me rethink going to a separate belt for all carrying because of ease of removal. also think of a horrizontal mag carrier which is much easier to carry. Here are some links for you....hope it helps.

http://www.activeprogear.com/model20.html

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...action=prepare_detail&itm_id=7566&itm_index=2

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...action=prepare_detail&itm_id=7998&itm_index=2

http://garritysgunleather.com/BeltMagazinePouches.htm