• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new and have a question

NEVAFALL

imported post

Helllo my name is Thomas and today I went into a pawnshop to purchase my first pistol the clerk did his little call in to the fbi and came back and told me that they have put me on a 5 day delay now my question is if I had a cdv charge that was dissmissed and dropped never convicted also it was my first offence second a dui first missdameanor will they hinder me from owning a firearm also I live in south carlolina any help would be very apreiated thanks Thomas

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NEVAFALL wrote:
Helllo my name is Thomas and today I went into a pawnshop to purchase my first pistol the clerk did his little call in to the fbi and came back and told me that they have put me on a 5 day delay now my question is if I had a cdv charge that was dissmissed and dropped never convicted also it was my first offence second a dui first missdameanor will they hinder me from owning a firearm also I live in south carlolina any help would be very apreiated thanks Thomas

1. Hello, Thomas. Welcome to OCDO.

2. Iam guessingthat "cdv" means "criminal domestic violence". Am I guessing correctly?

3. If you were not convicted it will not be "held against you". Why do you think otherwise?

4. Unless you are a tweenager, which I am guessing you are not if you tried to buy a handgun from a FFL dealer and did not get a) laughed at and b) arrested, please slow down, take a breath and stop gushing it all out in one breath. Your posts give everyone the only way to form an impression of you. Most of us try to give the impression that were are at least adult if not educated.

5. Numbering is not necessary, but paragraphs do help keep each idea separated from allthe others.

6. What is this "5 day delay" you speak of? Last I looked they had three busines days to deny. Could it be that the long holiday weekend has added some additional days to your delay time? I'm somehow doubting that, as you say you filled out the paperwork today (Friday 11/27). Is it possible you have a common last name, a common first and last name, or even common first, middle and last names that might be shared with one or more felons? Did you decline to provide your Social Security Number? (While not mandatory, it can help sort you out from the prohibited persons if your name is similar to someone who is in that first category.)

Again, welcome to OCDO. Do be sure to let us know about the final outcome of your maiden forray into the world of gun buying.

stay safe.

skidmark

Superlite27

imported post

Hello and welcome to OCDO!

CDV charge? (Something-or-other domestic violence is my guess.) I've never heard of "CDV" but I'm only assuming anything with the letters DV in any type of charge mean "domestic violence". If it means "Control of a Dangerous Vehicle" or "Conspiracy to Desecrate a Virgin" you have my apologies. Unless you were convicted, it shouldn't be a problem. Many times the arrest will flag you in the NICS (National Instant Check System) and they will have to check your conviction status resulting in the delay.

I haven't memorized it (like some here have) but I'm pretty familiar with the 4473 (NICS) form, and I believe it only asks "Have you ever been convicted of...". As long as you were truthful on the form, you shouldn't have a problem.

A DUI will not disqualify you from owning a firearm unless it is a felony DUI.

BTW: What kind of gun did you decide to purchase?

NEVAFALL

imported post

Thanks for the information reguarding my question. I decided onpurchasing theHigh-point .45 ACP because it was affordable and it has a lifetime guarantee even if it was previously owned. I know it is probably not the highest quality firearm available, but this will be my first firearm therefore I believe it will fulfill my expectations. I bought this pistol for self defence and home protection, I have visited my local gun range a number of times and have discharged similar firearms. I plan to pursue further firearm education and eventually obtain the consealed weapon license once I am more formiliar with this weapon and have gained more experiance.

As for my ssn I voluntarily submitted this information on the form I was asked to fill out because I have nothing to hide. I would be adownright fool to try an purchase a firearm if I did. Mysurname is uncommon in my oppinion because there are not many persons living in the united states with the surname (Petsch).

I also am no longer worried nor do I have any more concerns reguarding the firearm I have requested to purchase. I am confident I will recieve my gun without any further complication once my submission to purchase this weapon has been investigated and cleared.

Thanks for your time and effort in your attempt to assist me, also please forgive me for leaving a bad firstimmpresion

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

NEVAFALL wrote:
Thanks for the information reguarding my question. I decided onpurchasing theHigh point45.caliber glock because it was affordable and it has a lifetime guarantee even if it was previously owned.
You mean .45 ACP, right? Hi-Point does not market a .45 GAP caliber pistol.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thomas,

Do not be concerned that you created a "bad" first impression. I just chalked it up to first-timer eagerness and "nerves". Any impression of you will be based on your posts over time.

Congratulations on your decision to purchase a handgun. I'm glad that you are no longer worried about the delay in completing the Brady check.

There are probably three times as many opinions regarding every handgun as there are gun-owners (pro, con, and a detailed explanation of why the other two are both wrong:lol:). While your choice may not impress some folks, it seems to be based on the brand/model that had the features you wanted. That being the case, it was a good handgun for you to decide to buy. (Something about "the gun you have is 100% better than any other gun you don't have.") Now all you need to look out for is the dangerous bug know as "accumulating". All of us started out like you, with just one gun. Some of us have, over the years, acumulated more guns. We've also accumulated a bunch of holsters. I hope you can avoid that experience. Check the section on holster selection to see what others have gone through.

There are a bunch of good folks in the South Carolina sub-forum. That are probably the best place to seek answers to matters relating specifically to issues about OC, concealed carry, and training in South Carolina.

stay safe.

skidmark

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

NEVAFALL wrote:
Congratulations and welcome aboard. I didn't know that South Carolina has a waiting period for handgun purchases.

For your information, as far as I know, South Carolina does not allow open carry in the general population (as in not on your own property). You must have a concealed carry permit and carry your sidearm concealed when out and about. South Carolina also has a few unusual laws for CC'ing so you really would best be served by spending time on the SC forum and learning as much as you can. I travel to your state several times a year, and love it. Virginia and South Carolina have a reciprocity agreement so I do CC often when I am down there. In which part of the state do you reside?