• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC for a non-CCW permit holder/Light Rail ride tomorrow

GunsKillPeople ;)

imported post

Question for you all,

I know you are permitted to open carry if you don't have a CCW. I am waiting on mine in the mail and was just curious if I should hold off on OC until I actually get the permit. Not inclined to go along with that, but also don't want to end up in a cell.

As long as I follow all the signs and keep the gun in the holster fully exposed, is this permissible? What do you guys think?

On a side note, are newbies (to AZ, I was in the fine state of CA for several years) welcome to the lightrail ride tomorrow? You all planning on going to a restaurant that is kosher for CCW permit holders and non-holders?

Last question, for now...have a buddy on Phoenix PD. He agreed that OC in a car as long as it's visible and holstered is 100% legal...any contradictions on here?

Best,
Doug

kenpoprofessor

imported post

Well, being as this was my dreamchild, I suppose I should speak up :cool:. Yes, perfectly legal, as well as the resturaunt we're going to, otherwise, it would be quite a waste of time for us to CC :?.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow morning, I'll be the guy in the completely obnoxious shirt, won't be able to miss me.

Have a great gun carrryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

rc4life

imported post

Yes It is legal! Today I went black friday shopping and I was OCing, Almost every store had 1 police officer at the front door. I made it a point to make sure they saw me and zero problems, this includes Walmart,Target,Best Buy, Office Max, Home Depot, Lowes.

No one honestly seems to care that your OCing, I have been doing alot for the past 3 days and had one store employee ask what kind of gun its is just becuase he wanted to talk gun talk!

And yes Although I cant speek for every one and Im very new here Im sure the OCing events are open to every one who cares to join.

And!! The cop is right, as long as the gun in your car is visible or in the glove box it is perfectly legal.

Chez

imported post

If you want to play it safe, tuck your shirt into your pants so there is no chance that your shirt accidentally covers your weapon.

As for a holster in your car, I believe that if the holster isn't on your body, you are fine. If you are wearing the holster, I believe that a leo could make the case that you are concealing the weapon. Not sure on this so I hope others that are more informed will correct me.

If I remember correctly, my ccw instructor said that the advantage of the ccw permit while open carrying is you didn't need to worry about what your clothing was doing while you carried and you had no problems when carrying while driving.

GunsKillPeople ;)

imported post

Great! I'll see you all there. Does the restaurant serve alcohol? If so, I won't be able to join you all...no CCW, yet.

However, if we're going somewhere where no alcohol is served and I can OC without a CCW, I'll be there. In any event I'll be there on the nice lightrail. First trip...looking forward to it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

GunsKillPeople ;) wrote:
Question for you all,

I know you are permitted to open carry if you don't have a CCW. I am waiting on mine in the mail and was just curious if I should hold off on OC until I actually get the permit. Not inclined to go along with that, but also don't want to end up in a cell.

As long as I follow all the signs and keep the gun in the holster fully exposed, is this permissible? What do you guys think?

On a side note, are newbies (to AZ, I was in the fine state of CA for several years) welcome to the lightrail ride tomorrow? You all planning on going to a restaurant that is kosher for CCW permit holders and non-holders?

Last question, for now...have a buddy on Phoenix PD. He agreed that OC in a car as long as it's visible and holstered is 100% legal...any contradictions on here?

Best,
Rights are recognized or denied, not permitted. OC holstered on your person is legit.