• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traffic stop - Do you have to tell them you're armed?

AL Ranger

I can't seem to find the answer to this in the forums (or anywhere else for that matter). In AL, does the law state that you must inform a LEO that you are carrying a gun when they pull you over for a traffic stop? I would think that, obviously, if the LEO asks you to step out of the car that you should let them know before stepping out, just for everyone's safety. But, from what I'm reading, some states have a law stating that you must inform a police officer that you are armed immediately, no matter what. Does anyone know for sure about AL law on this matter?

There is no law saying you must inform the officer. Use your own judgment in these situations. If the gun is locked away, there is no reason to tell. If you carry concealed or have a gun within easy access, then it's your call. If the stop goes on further than just checking ID's at a roadblock, I wouldn't do it. If the stop is for violating the law (speeding ticket), I'd probably let the officer know I was armed, show him my license and let him know where the weapon was.

Jaxinc

It is your choice, personally everytime I was stopped when he asked for my ID I handed him my DL and CCW, and everytime they thanked me in advance and never had a problem. At the same time though I've heard stories of people having issues with LEOs and firearms... Use your best discretion.

eye95

The problem with showing your CPL while OCing is that there are officers who will take it and keep it. That happened to one of our ALOC members. My advice is not to even have your CPL or DL on you while OCing. Leave them in the car.

During my last stop, officers tried to get me to show them my licences. One threatened to arrest me for not having my CPL while OCing. Another insisted that it was AL law that I carry photo ID. I stood my ground and handed them nothing.

As a result, I lost an hour of my life. MPD ended up wasting an hour of time for five officers, plus whatever time was spent in after-action work.

They can still yank your permit if you don't have it with you, but they have to send you a letter, which is a nice piece of physical evidence to introduce in the civil suit--and they know it. Besides, in Montgomery County, that ain't gonna happen. The sheriff has published a letter stating that OC is lawful. If MPD asks him to yank my CPL for simple OC, he'll tell 'em to bugger off.