• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First-time visitor

flyers76

imported post

I'm a 55-year-old Raleigh resident and first-time gun owner, purchased a handgun in April for self-defense and recreational shooting...now more interested in becoming involved with 2nd Amendment protection. Also looking for regular groups to shoot with and maybe advice on best places to obtain CCP classes...I'm leaning toward Johnston Community College classes at Howell woods, mainly because they're least costly of any I've looked at in area. Any advice, suggestionswould be appreciated.:D

buzzsaw

imported post

Welcome to the club. I'm down on the coast so I can't provide much useful information about the Raleigh area but if you get down this way I know several places to shoot. I believe there is a pretty active group on or around NCSU engaged in promoting restoration of campus carry rights and iirc they had a range night and open carry event recently. Check out some of the posts under NC and I'm sure you'll find it. Carry on.

glockaholic

imported post

I can't recommend the Wake County Firearm Education & Training Center enough. It's just south of Apex. Quite a haul for me from Wake Forest, but well worth the drive. It's a very nice indoor range. A total of 4 "sections", 3 for pistol/rifle at 50 yards and one for rifles at 100 yards. The Range Officers are very competent. I always feel safe shooting there. And I've taken several of their training courses and it's well worth the cost. Range orientation is $15 and includes a free hour of range time. Hope this helps.

http://www.wakegov.com/firingrange/

flyers76

imported post

Appreciate the responses -- I've been shooting at Personal Defense and Handgun Safety Center on Tryon Road, nice range, not usually crowded and very helpful staff..will check out the county rage after first f the year, though that's almost as long a haul from where I am (North Raleigh) as from Wake Forest...

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I shoot at PDHSC once or twice a week, and you will be hard pressed to find an equivalent range in any sort of reasonable driving distance.

They offer a CHP course, and you can take individual classes through them as well.

We have monthly dinnergatherings in the Raleigh area, though the next one will be in January.