• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Subject but... Take young kids shooting

Bennelli

imported post

Took Grandpa, Brother in-law, his daughter and a niece shooting yesterday. The girls loved it and had a great time, please take more young people out shooting especial girls.

Sidenote: Ienjoy how other shooters driving by all wave at each other and say hello. "An armed Society is a polite Society."

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher

scorpioajr

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
Took Grandpa, Brother in-law, his daughter and a niece shooting yesterday. The girls loved it and had a great time, please take more young people out shooting especial girls.

Sidenote: Ienjoy how other shooters driving by all wave at each other and say hello. "An armed Society is a polite Society."

Awesome!
Yes, me and my wife try to take her sisters out whenever we get a chance. New shooters, especially gals, seem to get a bit more frustrated when the targets aren't getting hit or they excessively limp wristing the piece.

A little fun, understanding and non-judgmental attitude has always helped that out. In fact, one of my sister-in-laws is turning 21 soon and we want to gift her the CFP class! AND she's down for it!!!

+1 on an armed society is a polite society. I can't get enough for that quote by Robert A. Heinlein, the remainder is just as good:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein

Carry on.

bmeldrum

imported post

awhile back we had a F.H.E and took the opportunity to talk about guns, gun safety. Afterwards for our activity we took the kids out shooting (so they could see what happens). Now we just make it a regular event for our family & continually talk with them about gun safety.

Bennelli

imported post

Nice photo. Grandpa is a Naturalist, meaning he respects the outdoors then most people. He cleans up not only our brass but shot gun shells, and everyone else garbage, so we took that opportunity to teach the girls that they should clean up after every time they go shooting. When they get older and some boyfriend takes them out shooting and if they don't clean up, then they don't meet up to Grandpa's standards and that's a good thing.

Looks like I need to send Grandpa out to this location for a good cleaning!

bmeldrum

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
Nice photo. Grandpa is a Naturalist, meaning he respects the outdoors then most people. He cleans up not only our brass but shot gun shells, and everyone else garbage, so we took that opportunity to teach the girls that they should clean up after every time they go shooting. When they get older and some boyfriend takes them out shooting and if they don't clean up, then they don't meet up to Grandpa's standards and that's a good thing.

Looks like I need to send Grandpa out to this location for a good cleaning!
yeah that would be nice to have that area cleaned up, it might take several days (we made sure to clean up after ourselves, we're the pack it in, pack it out type) however, that whole west side of utah lake at that spot is just trash, debris

bmeldrum

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
Where is that located? The place we went was at Pelican Point off of Redwood Rd.
Yup! That's where we were, now we were right up against the mountain. Now we were at the first turn off, someone said that if you cont south on redwood around that bend there is some other area not as busy...we've only just gone to the first turn off than driven up the very rugged rd to the flat area just at the base of the mtn

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That looks like a good place to hold an organized BBQ and cleanup event.

I had my oldest daughter and her kids down for Thanksgiving last year and let them shoot some. The girls really liked it, but my grandson wasn't so impressed.

JTknives

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
awhile back we had a F.H.E and took the opportunity to talk about guns, gun safety. Afterwards for our activity we took the kids out shooting (so they could see what happens). Now we just make it a regular event for our family & continually talk with them about gun safety.
is that on the west side of the lake. i have been out there a bunch and it is a nice place to shoot. it would be a good place to do a bbq and clean up as people do leave a lot of crap around.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JTknives wrote:
bmeldrum wrote:
is that on the west side of the lake. i have been out there a bunch and it is a nice place to shoot. it would be a good place to do a bbq and clean up as people do leave a lot of crap around.
It is on the West side.

We could do a side trip over to Nutty Putty to pay our respects. :cuss: 21 gun salute to the Nutty Putty RIP.