• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A 'couple of past non-incidents to report

POORBOY

imported post

"protective services" haha thats like a modern day mob story crip and blood style dam glad you have had no problems though. Oh and good eye on the thugs all zipped up in the summer you probably saved yourself a robbery:celebrate

M

McX

imported post

The sad truth is the problems, or potential problems never really go away. Demanding our constant vigilance. Here's another "near miss" to report: Saturday, our shop was open. Since the weather was marginally nice, we had the big bay doors, facing the street open. A young Lady stopped to pick up her husband's car we had worked on. I watched her, as I do with all our customers, go out to the parkinglot to get into their car, and leave. While she was going to the car, she got a phone call, and she stopped in the middle of the lot to talk on the phone. A young gang member, in gang colors was strolling by, and stopped dead on the sidewalk in front of the shop/parkinglot and began staring at this Lady in our parkinglot like someone eyeing fresh meat. I came into view, and stood in the lot, just outside our bay doors, watching the dirtbag, who was watching this Lady. She was completely, and blissfully unaware of what danger was standing less than 20 feet from her. The sight of my holstered firearm kept this young thug out on the sidewalk. I kept thinking: C'mon Lady, get into your damn car! Finally she did, and left, and the thug and I traded dirty looks, and he went on down the street. Another clear example to me at least of an Open Carrier being present, and NOTHING HAPPENED because of it!

B

Bikenut

imported post

McX wrote:
The sad truth is the problems, or potential problems never really go away. Demanding our constant vigilance. Here's another "near miss" to report: Saturday, our shop was open. Since the weather was marginally nice, we had the big bay doors, facing the street open. A young Lady stopped to pick up her husband's car we had worked on. I watched her, as I do with all our customers, go out to the parkinglot to get into their car, and leave. While she was going to the car, she got a phone call, and she stopped in the middle of the lot to talk on the phone. A young gang member, in gang colors was strolling by, and stopped dead on the sidewalk in front of the shop/parkinglot and began staring at this Lady in our parkinglot like someone eyeing fresh meat. I came into view, and stood in the lot, just outside our bay doors, watching the dirtbag, who was watching this Lady. She was completely, and blissfully unaware of what danger was standing less than 20 feet from her. The sight of my holstered firearm kept this young thug out on the sidewalk. I kept thinking: C'mon Lady, get into your damn car! Finally she did, and left, and the thug and I traded dirty looks, and he went on down the street. Another clear example to me at least of an Open Carrier being present, and NOTHING HAPPENED because of it!
The deterrent effect of open carry prevents another crime!

If only there were a way to prove that something did not happen because of open carry........

And if only the positives of carrying/using a gun, openly or concealed, were covered by the media in proportion to the coverage of the negative uses of guns.

By the way, and I'm preaching to the choir I know, the passive deterrent effect of a gun in plain sight preventing a crime is also a use of a gun.

protector84

imported post

Congratulations on deterring a possible crime. I have noticed a trend lately in some parking lots where the suspect will actually be loitering on a bicycle. Bicycles can provide easy getaways because they go fast enough to outrun a pedestrian chasing them down (i.e. if they stole a woman's purse) but can easily outrun cars including police by zig-zagging through terrain that they can't go. I've noticed a number of times at gas stations and mini mart parking lots where a weird-actingbicyclist will just endlessly circle around and around the lot eyeing every person entering and leaving the property. You don't know if they are homeless people asking for a handout, drug dealers or buyers waiting for a deal, or someone casing for a robbery. All I do know is that the moment they circle by me and see my holstered sidearm that they suddenly decide that they are leaving.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

It's interesting that you guys mention bicycle thugs, because the last time I went condition orange (felt a robbery was about to happen) was when one of two guys pulled up ten feet behind me at night on a bike. The other was walking up on the front of my motorcycle, so I didn't stick around to see what they wanted. Almost ran 'em over, too. No need to surround me to ask for directions or beg for change.

Motorcycle-1, bicycle-0

:celebrate

Capn Camo

imported post

McX wrote:
I strolled over, with my holstered firearm clearly in view. I could tell their eyes locked on my firearm, and they were quite nervous. They asked some brief, unrelated questions, then beat feet out of there. I suspect I was about to be robbed, until they saw my firearm.
On another occassion a local gang member stopped in for service. I performed the work necessary, and he paid. He then offered his "club's" protective services to us, and I declined, patting my holstered firearm, and saying "thank you, but we handle our own internal security". We parted company amicably, and he never returned. Key words being; he never returned.

And how would have that worked out with CONCEALED CARRY?

You would have become a VICTIM. 2x

OPen carry is a clear deterrent to crime.

Capn Camo

imported post

Damn right he will, I know one whos Ex Special forces, and he WILL. Extremely fast, too.

Seriously, theres something to be said for age. Less likely that an older adult will do something stupid.

"Key words being; he never returned."

You may have stopped something much bigger than that. That may not have worked in the big inner City where they already had a power base. if they are already in 'power' (so to speak, not acknowledging that they are anything but criminals) why wouldnt they lean on you?

May have been someone involved in a gang initiation. You may have diverted a future career criminal!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate (triple bananna)

EDIT FOUR dancing monkeys added for backup:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey

Capn Camo

imported post

That error has been corrected with the addition of 4 dancing monkeys as backup. Tough to conceal a weapon under a bananna skin.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

McX wrote:
They're still around, bakery got robbed 2 blocks down from us. What kind of nut job robs a bakery?
cookie1.jpg

M

McX

imported post

N6 your ok in my book, you always make me smile!

okboomer

imported post

Keep em coming ... they identify situations that we all need to think about and consider before they happen to us :lol:

Even though I am in a state that doesn't allow OC, I still can OC inside my business ... and I got some funny reactions also ... more along the lines of:

Client: "What do you carry?"

Me: ".45"

Client: "That's a lot of gun for a little lady" -- huh?

or

Client: "What do you carry?"

Me: "9mm"

Client: "Would you talk to my wife, I've been trying to get her to carry something bigger than the .22 she has"

or

Client: "There's nothing sexier than a lady with a gun" -- I like this one :celebrate

I also have a few shooting proficiency examples in my private office too :cool: