• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supreme Court Case

zig-zag

imported post

Hi All, I would like to know if anyone has heard that the NRA'S case (NRA vs Chicago) been denied but Alan Gura's case (McDonald vs Chicago) will be heard. I am askind because i heard on 11/26 or 27/09 on Glenn Becks radio program in which he had Alan on who said that the NRA'S case has been denied but Alan's will be heard, does anyone have any info on this. Some people say this is wrong but i know what i heard.

Anubis

imported post

I think what happened was that SCOTUS thinks the NRA v Chicago case duplicates the McDonald v Chicago case and was abeyed until McDonald is decided.

You can see NRA v Chicago was neither granted nor denied certiorari by going tohttp://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/docket.htmland searching for08-1497, then following the same link on the nextpage.

The NRA submitted an excellent merits brief for McDonald, and many other groups also submitted amicus curiae briefs supporting McDonald. The text of the briefs can be accessed via http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/briefs/unscheduled.html#081521

It is very interesting to read the "in favor of neither party" brief of the Brady bunch. It was obviously written by someone who sees incorporation resulting from this caseas a slam-dunk. For Heller, Brady wrote a brief for DC's side, this time theyhave a neutral stance.

brboyer

imported post

Anubis wrote:
I think what happened was that SCOTUS thinks the NRA v Chicago case duplicates the McDonald v Chicago case and was abeyed until McDonald is decided.

You can see NRA v Chicago was neither granted nor denied certiorari by going tohttp://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/docket.htmland searching for08-1497, then following the same link on the nextpage.

The NRA submitted an excellent merits brief for McDonald, and many other groups also submitted amicus curiae briefs supporting McDonald. The text of the briefs can be accessed via http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/briefs/unscheduled.html#081521

It is very interesting to read the "in favor of neither party" brief of the Brady bunch. It was obviously written by someone who sees incorporation resulting from this caseas a slam-dunk. For Heller, Brady wrote a brief for DC's side, this time theyhave a neutral stance.
Brady, neutral? Don't think so.

If you actually read the brief and came to that conclusion, might I suggest a reading comprehension course?

Gunslinger

imported post

I believe the cases were combined as being essentially testing the same provision (incorporation of the 2nd through the 14th).

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

The Brady camp has seen the writing on the wall and are attempting to get the most restrictive standard of revue possible after incorporation.

My take on it.

Anubis

imported post

brboyer wrote:
If you actually read the brief and came to that conclusion, might I suggest a reading comprehension course?
Thanks for the suggestion.

lockman wrote:
The Brady camp has seen the writing on the wall and are attempting to get the most restrictive standard of revue possible after incorporation.
Exactly, although what they argue for is a lesser standard than "strict scrutiny" in an attempt to keep many of our 20,000+ gun laws from eventually being tossed after incorporation.