• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prohibited from carrying while on the job (Non-LEO)

Coltsfan

imported post

I am not a LEO, but I am a supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights and carrying (open or concealed) whenever and wherever possible. However, probably like most of us, my company prohibits me from carrying at work. I work in a professional office building, so I can carry on the premises, but once I enter the area leased by my employer, I am "prohibited" from having any firearms/dangerous weapons on my person. Since I work 20 miles from home, I do not go to work unarmed, but I am always uncomfortable about locking my weapon in my car. I know this is probably the norm for most, but I was wondering how other folks here deal with this issue. I have toyed with the idea of at least wearing an empty holster at while at work, but I'm afraid that might create a "hostile work environment" and put me at odds with management. I would love to read other folks thoughts on this subject.

Thanks for your comments and keep on carrying!

Coltsfan

imported post

My issue is our company policy against "dangerous weapons" in the work place. I would at least be presenting a visual objection to company policy implemented to make us feel "safer" at work by not being lawfully armed. I've voiced my disapproval of our company policy on several occasions, but have basically been told, I can always go work somewhere else if I choose. I guess I'mjust wondering if anyone has given up their livelyhood to stand on principal.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Stock up on OC and keep your escape routes handy.
Or, tell your boss you have basic firefighter training and you could provide the company that little bit extra insurance against a fireif a dry-chemical fire-extinguisher was hung right outside your cubicle.

buster81

imported post

Coltsfan wrote:
My issue is our company policy against "dangerous weapons" in the work place. I would at least be presenting a visual objection to company policy implemented to make us feel "safer" at work by not being lawfully armed. I've voiced my disapproval of our company policy on several occasions, but have basically been told, I can always go work somewhere else if I choose. I guess I'mjust wondering if anyone has given up their livelyhood to stand on principal.

I have left work sites because I was not comfortable with safety conditions. I have left countries I was working in because I was not happy with the working conditions for the locals (human rights kind of stuff). Both of these events could have cost me my job, but didn't. I made a decision based on my ethics, and was prepared for the fallout.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I don't see the point in protesting your company policy.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

brboyer wrote:
Carry concealed and keep your trap shut.

Encourage the man to violate his company's wishes and run the risk of getting fired- brilliant idea! :(

Coltsfan - Have you tried sitting down with your employer? Show him examples of workplace violence, show them copies of your training with your firearms...its an option.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
brboyer wrote:
Carry concealed and keep your trap shut.

Encourage the man to violate his company's wishes and run the risk of getting fired- brilliant idea! :(

Coltsfan - Have you tried sitting down with your employer? Show him examples of workplace violence, show them copies of your training with your firearms...its an option.
I hate these discussions.
This is a public forum that most anti groups and LEO's monitor, so what's said about a particular situation, gets recorded by someone.

Considering the number of reports of companies using search operators for facebook, twitter and forums, I wonder why anyone would talk about issues like this.

Think you're anonymous, do a search for Nitrovic.

Now that I said that, your company has a perfect right to ban weapons. I don't like it, but it's not my company. My policy was always to encourage my employees to carry and I even paid VCDL membership fees for employees....But every employer has the right to decide for themselves.

If you don't like it, work someplace else.

As far as keeping your mouth shut. Good advice in private, pretty stupid in public. I know people who have carried for 20 years without a permit with no problems. I also know one recent case where a person was too frightened to leave it in the car. He carried in his briefcase but shot off his mouth. The Execs called him in the office and gave him a choice. Open the case or clean out his office. He opened the case and then was told to clean out his office,

Make your own choice, but if you decide to shutup and carry...SHUTUP and carry.

What would I do in your place?
I never break a rule or law, I don't even tear the tags off of mattress.:uhoh:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Just to further stir the fire, here are a couple of examples of why employers are jittery about armed employees...and remember, my company was pro gun.

One time I had a meeting scheduled in our VB office. The receptionist was out in Richmond and I needed someone to anwer the phones. I assigned that to one of my techs. He was a nice kid but from the burbs and therefore, mentally challenged.

I kept a Taser in the receptionists desk for whoever wanted to take it to the parking lot or at lunch. When I got back, I knew from the look on his face, something was wrong. When I asked he showed me. He had gotten bored and was playing with the Taser. He Tased a $5,000.00 printer.
Didn't hurt it but I was glad I hadn't left a 45.

I had another employee in the VB office that carried every day. He tried to put in a Workmans Comp claim because "THE RECORDING STUDIO NEXT DOOR WAS BEAMING ULTRASONIC EMANATIONS AT HIM".
Workmans comp denied the claim and I was thankful I could fire him for any reason in Va.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

peter nap is right about watching what we write and I wish that policy was adhered to in every aspect of these threads and forums. All too often, people get going on something of questionable content without considering the consequences of what they write and how it could be used against them.. or all of us.

With that said, there are really two basic things involved here with the OP's actions. Is he willing to conform to his employer's rules and policies or is he of a mind to take his chances and pay the price if discovered? I really is a simple matter of weighing the net benefits of both avenues and seeing which one is willing to follow. This is not a difficult decision because frankly, the ultimate decision is whether or not he is willing to follow their rules. And there is this.

If the OP does decide to CC and is discovered and fired, his future employment prospects very likely will be affected by his actions, so there is a very good chance this decision will follow him around.

Best to bite the bullet and abide by your employer's policies as much as you can.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Just to further stir the fire, here are a couple of examples of why employers are jittery about armed employees...and remember, my company was pro gun.

One time I had a meeting scheduled in our VB office. The receptionist was out in Richmond and I needed someone to anwer the phones. I assigned that to one of my techs. He was a nice kid but from the burbs and therefore, mentally challenged.

I kept a Taser in the receptionists desk for whoever wanted to take it to the parking lot or at lunch. When I got back, I knew from the look on his face, something was wrong. When I asked he showed me. He had gotten bored and was playing with the Taser. He Tased a $5,000.00 printer.

I had another employee in the VB office that carried every day. He tried to put in a Workmans Comp claim because "THE RECORDING STUDIO NEXT DOOR WAS BEAMING ULTRASONIC EMANATIONS AT HIM".
Workmans comp denied the claim and I was thankful I could fire him for any reason in Va.
At least Taser boy didn't use it on himself. Talk about WC.

jadedone4

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
peter nap wrote:

At least Taser boy didn't use it on himself. Talk about WC.

... hate to see anyone harmed, but it may have "corrected" some of TaserBoy's mis-firing synapes if he had used on himself instead of an innocent printer.

Carrying at work, is still "private property" as defined by the employer's rules.