• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC today

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Today I was shopping with my wife. Tomorrow is our daughter's 15th birthday. We were also looking for a few things for Christmas gifts for our other 2 kids. We first went down to K-mart in the Kent valley. Their adds had a specific item we wanted for our daughter. Didn't have any of the item left, but as we were searching a nice old guy, maybe late 60's, approached me on my strong side. ( I carry a full size Kimber 1911 in a serpa at the 3:00 position. ) The gentleman said to me, "Good for you" and then unzipped his jacket and quickly showed me his sidearm ( not sure what kind ) in his IWB holster. I said "nice". Then he said, "These people around here in this store should feel safer with us around." . "I said "yes sir." and we shook hands.

I asked him if he'd heard of OCDO and he said he had, that his son is a member on these boards. I asked his son's name and he said Patric White. So, Pat, if you're here, I met your dad today.

Later we picked up the kids and went to Red Robin for an early lunch for my daughter's birthday. It was pretty empty there, nothing to report about RR. Everything went fine. No comments or anything.

After RR, my wife and I dropped the kids off at home and went to Sam's Club in Renton. I OC there all the time without incident. We first stopped at the cell phone kiosk to look at phones to upgrade for my daughter. While looking there, about 5 Sam's Club employees gathered behind me at a center-aisle table. My wife said, "Don't turn around, but there are 5 guys gathered behind you." . Well, it must have been one of those "come check out the guy with the gun" kind of things. So they all got to see, then realized I wasn't a bad guy, and went back to their assigned stations.

Both of the guys at the cell phone kiosk saw my gun but one of them said with a grin, "Concealed handgun huh?". I promptly said, "It's not concealed, it's open.". This was at the same time the other 5 guys were behind me staring. I said it loudly enough that I think they all heard me.

Heard many calls over the loudspeakers in Sam's for security to look at certain areas of the store, but that is very common in that store. Also the guy working at the jewelry counter was checking me out and saw that I noticed him checking me out and gave me the nervous grin and nod, so I just noddedand smiled back. No other incident at Sam's club.

On the way back to Kent from Sam's, we stopped in at the Fred Meyer on Benson 180th. We walked all around the store and spent a few minutes in electronics looking at movies on sale. Nobody seemed to care that I had a huge evil black .45 on my hip. As we were walking down one of the main aisles some guy carrying a 12 pack of Bud Light passed us and looked at my gun then at me, smiled,and said, "Nice". So I said "Thanks".

That's all to report today. I might go to Walmart in Covington tomorrow... = )

seattleric007

Banned
imported post

Sound like you had a good day. I sure the new members appriciate the reports, they are very encouraging. I was up on Capital Hill in Seattle today giving people heartattacks and fits, But live and let live Ialways say. Good report. Keep um up!

Mainsail

imported post

I was in Sportsman's one day carrying my G20 in a Serpa. An older man approached and discussed Glocks and OC with me, he then whipped his loaded glock out of his fanny pack to show it to me. Yeesh.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I was in Sportsman's one day carrying my G20 in a Serpa. An older man approached and discussed Glocks and OC with me, he then whipped his loaded glock out of his fanny pack to show it to me. Yeesh.
LOL...back in his day it was probably perfectly acceptable to do that.

FMCDH

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Whoa big fella, put it away....a peak in the pouch will do! :p

My old grand-pappy used to say, "Its one thing to carry your pistol in public my boy, but its quite another thing to play with it in public".

Ok, he never said that.....but wouldn't it be funny? ;)

Edited for comedic rhythm.

kito109654

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Whoa big fella, put it away....a peak in the pouch will do! :p

My old grand-pappy used to say, "Its one thing to carry your gun in public my boy but, its quite another thing to play with it in public".

Ok, he never said that.....but wouldn't it be funny? ;)
LOL, I started laughing before I saw your little note at the bottom! ;)

amzbrady

imported post

Hey SpyderTattoo
LOL, had to laugh, then had to comment. I think you forgot a comma, or mayby not...

but as we were searching a nice old guy, maybe late 60's,

NCjones

imported post

Heard many calls over the loudspeakers in Sam's for security to look at certain areas of the store,

They do that all the time here too. One of my friends who works at WM said they really don't scan any areas, it's a shoplifter deterent.

rysa

imported post

Good Job Spyder,

I've been OC'ing around Kent for A while as well. I noticed you went to fred meyer on benson and narry a word huh? I have been asked to leave from the Fred Meyer on 108th and 240th. so I never go there anymore. I'll have to check out the benson one if they're friendlier.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Yeah, I go there all the time, usually with my wife and kids. No one has ever bothered me there except the Kent PD once a little while ago. I was in the magazine asile looking at... wait for it... the 1911 handgun magazine. (I carry a Kimber full size 1911.) Two Kent PD officers approached me, one from each end of the asile so they'd have "tactical advantage". After a brief conversation they left and I continued with my shopping. The two officers got a chuckle when my wife came around the corner and saw that the cops were talking to me and my wife said "Oh, not again...". :dude: