• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to the forum and have a question

xmattedgex

imported post

hey everyone, i am looking to start open carrying as a California resident. i am a law abiding citizen, i have no felonies or even misdemeanors, my background check is clean as a whistle, so of course i should legally be allowed to open carry my firearm. but this is what i am worried about, i am 22 years old and covered in tattoos, so sadly to alot of the general public and law enforcement, i look like a thug, which is heartbreaking, but true. in your honest opinion, what do you think about me open carrying, and what should i do so i can be allowed to exercise my right.

thanks for the help everyone
-matt edge

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

What can you do? Open Carry knowing that you'll not be presumed to be an off-duty officer. And yes you may get more attention than the average guy without the tattoos. After understanding all the "gotchas" in California law, try open carry, if you hate it you can just stop.

Good Luck.

xmattedgex

imported post

thanks for the reply, i'm looking forward to trying it out, and trying to educate the people i encounter about it, i'm just trying to make sure that i know all the laws to a t so if i do run into trouble, i know what to say and do.

SouthBayr

imported post

xmattedgex wrote:
thanks for the reply, i'm looking forward to trying it out, and trying to educate the people i encounter about it, i'm just trying to make sure that i know all the laws to a t so if i do run into trouble, i know what to say and do.
There are some great videos on You Tube on what to do and say while OC'ing.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Definitely get to know the laws, and try to find a local meetup to attend so you can discuss the idea and check your understanding of the laws.

However, at this time I encourage to not solo carry. I don't want to derail your thread, so I'll just say there is ongoing debate whether OC is a good idea right now in CA.

(Every please refrain from bringing the debate to this thread; if the OP wants to read it, I'm sure he'll have no trouble finding the ongoing thread on the topic.)