• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What training is sufficient for MN PTC?

IA_farmboy

imported post

I'm considering getting a Minnesota Permit to Carry for when I visit. I see that I can get the application online and file it at any sheriff office. My question is what training do I need to fulfill the training requirement? There are places near where I live in Iowa that offer training courses for Florida/Utah concealed weapons permits and the NRA Basis Pistol course. Would one of these be sufficient?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

You would be able to carry in MN with a UT permit. I would take the FL/UT class and get both.

If you still want the MN permit, you would probably have to take a MN-specific class in MN. However, if you have both the FL and UT permits, the MN permit would not add to the list of states where you would be able to legally carry.

mrjam2jab

imported post

From the MN FAQs

Where can I find a list of approved firearm training classes?
The BCA no longer publishes a list of firearm instructors on the website, but does provide a list of the Approved Business Organizations that the BCA certifies for training classes for the Minnesota Personal Protection Act. The Approved Business Organizations certify the instructors that teach for them. Individuals need to contact those organizations for instructor information. Approved Business Organizations may be found at:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Invest/Documents/CertifiedBusinessPPA.html.

8. If I am a non-resident, must I take an approved firearms training class in Minnesota in order to get a Minnesota permit to carry?
No. You are only required to present evidence that you have received training in the safe use of a pistol from an organization or government entity that has been approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in accordance with the department’s standards.

Looks like any class would have to be MN certified. I dont see NRA listed anywhere in there.

IA_farmboy

imported post

Looks like any class would have to be MN certified. I dont see NRA listed anywhere in there.

The NRA does not offer training itself but provides courses and certifications for the instructors, just as the state of Minnesota doesn't offer training themselves but sets guidelines and certifies private instructors. The question becomes, what NRA approved course, if any, is sufficient to satisfy the Minnesota Permit to Carry training requirement?

I'll have to look closer at the list provided, thanks.

IA_farmboy

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
You would be able to carry in MN with a UT permit. I would take the FL/UT class and get both.

If you still want the MN permit, you would probably have to take a MN-specific class in MN. However, if you have both the FL and UT permits, the MN permit would not add to the list of states where you would be able to legally carry.

I have a Florida Concealed Weapons Permit. I used my military experience to satisfy the training requirement. I'm considering the Utah permit but the Minnesota one has a lower level of requirements and therefore seems to be cheaper and easier to obtain at the moment. If I have to travel to Minnesota for training then the cost and hassle goes up and I'll reconsider my options.

mrjam2jab

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:

The NRA does not offer training itself but provides courses and certifications for the instructors, just as the state of Minnesota doesn't offer training themselves but sets guidelines and certifies private instructors. The question becomes, what NRA approved course, if any, is sufficient to satisfy the Minnesota Permit to Carry training requirement?

I'll have to look closer at the list provided, thanks.

Right. But for those states that accept ie NRA Basic Safety, they list "any NRA safety course". I was just pointing out that it appears NRA Basic Safety is not accepted...unless the instructor is specifically certified by MN. The NRA Basic class that i took here in PA would not be sufficient.