• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Things have changed since i lived in Va.Beach

Glock 19

imported post

LIved in Va.Beach from '89-'93 worked at coca-cola Norfolk

moved back to Michigan in '93( what a mistake that was)

discovered oc a couple of wks ago, didn't know it was legal, until i found this web site by accident while i was goggling difference between ccw and cpl.

I have been reading the oc in and around Hampton rds, i recognize alot of areas,used to go to lynnhaven mall all the time. going to take my cpl class hopfully in jan. why??...just for added protection....

Anyway keep up the right to defend our rights.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Strangely, the Tidewater area of Virginia is the area where there have been more problems with OC'ing than any other part of the state. Most have occurred in Norfolk, but some in Virginia Beach. You would think that would not be the case since it is at the bottom of the state.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Strangely, the Tidewater area of Virginia is the area where there have been more problems with OC'ing than any other part of the state. Most have occurred in Norfolk, but some in Virginia Beach. You would think that would not be the case since it is at the bottom of the state.
It wasn't always that way SB. The Virginia Beach Police Department used to be fairly small. They hired Law Students to work the summers and they were darn nice kids. There was very little crime, Hotels like the Essex House (A large beach house converted) were the Norm, the wooden pier was 3 times as long as it is now and there was almost no crime.

Then Progress came. Progress always brings out of stater and big business and money and crime.

Used to be, if you wanted to raise hell and fight, you went to Buckroe Beach. If you wanted a fun night out, you went to the Peppermint Beach club.
That part of the state is lost too. Give it to Mary Land.:X

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
It wasn't always that way SB. The Virginia Beach Police Department used to be fairly small. They hired Law Students to work the summers and they were darn nice kids. There was very little crime, Hotels like the Essex House (A large beach house converted) were the Norm, the wooden pier was 3 times as long as it is now and there was almost no crime.

Then Progress came. Progress always brings out of stater and big business and money and crime.

Used to be, if you wanted to raise hell and fight, you went to Buckroe Beach. If you wanted a fun night out, you went to the Peppermint Beach club.

Hay Peter the Eastern Shore is between Va Beach and MD and we aint movin or changing sides. So They're surounded make em surrender.

:banghead: :uhoh:

Glock 19

imported post

peter nap wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I lived there when the beach cops were always in the paper for jacking people up for no reason, about 90-91 i think also was there when the beach riots happened with black college students, tore the strip up for 2 or 3 days...still have the papers clips of it

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I grew up here and also remember the "riots" during "Greek Week" when the kids from the "historically black colleges" andtheir fraternities and sororitiescame to the Oceanfront.

The trouble wasn't the college kids, the trouble was from the scumbagsout ofthe projects chasing the "nice college girls" from the universities. Most of the kidsat Norfolk State and Hampton University are hard working kids getting a decent education.

They get a bad "rap" when the scumbags come out of the projects to chase the nice college girls and intimidate the "Uncle Toms" and take "their women". Sounds like an episode from Planet of the Apes, doesn't it? Sad, but true. The college kids weren't the ones causing trouble. It was the animals that "escaped" the projects in search of nice girls that caused 98% of the trouble.

Very sad how a small percentage of the population can give the rest of us a bad name, isn't it? Wait a minute... that sounds familiar, doesn't it? Isn't there a kid down in Lousy-Anna going to the Big House for murder? Wasn't there an "OCer" a few months back that shot at some birds after DWI and being thrown out of a bar? There are TWO OCers that give the other TWENTY THOUSAND of us a bad name...

<rant off>

Glock 19

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I grew up here and also remember the "riots" during "Greek Week" when the kids from the "historically black colleges" andtheir fraternities and sororitiescame to the Oceanfront.

The trouble wasn't the college kids, the trouble was from the scumbagsout ofthe projects chasing the "nice college girls" from the universities. Most of the kidsat Norfolk State and Hampton University are hard working kids getting a decent education.

They get a bad "rap" when the scumbags come out of the projects to chase the nice college girls and intimidate the "Uncle Toms" and take "their women". Sounds like an episode from Planet of the Apes, doesn't it? Sad, but true. The college kids weren't the ones causing trouble. It was the animals that "escaped" the projects in search of nice girls that caused 98% of the trouble.

Very sad how a small percentage of the population can give the rest of us a bad name, isn't it? Wait a minute... that sounds familiar, doesn't it? Isn't there a kid down in Lousy-Anna going to the Big House for murder? Wasn't there an "OCer" a few months back that shot at some birds after DWI and being thrown out of a bar? There are TWO OCers that give the other TWENTY THOUSAND of us a bad name...

<rant off>
thats the first i heard of that...when my brother-in-law and i cruzed the strip on the first day boy did we get the stink eye, i agree the hoodrats did come out that weekend, there was store windows broken and then looted, people hurt ,etc.if i remember right they were never welcomed back.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I certainly remember those days. VB police seem to be of the mindset to never let anything like that happen again, which is admirable. Even so, just last summer there were still problems with thugs on the strip. Guy got stabbed to death in Wendy's parking lot across from jungle golf. Random shooting outside clubs that historically have catered to the non-hoodrat type clientele, but have switched demographics as of late. I hardly recognize my city anymore during the summer.:?

Glock 19

imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
I certainly remember those days. VB police seem to be of the mindset to never let anything like that happen again, which is admirable. Even so, just last summer there were still problems with thugs on the strip. Guy got stabbed to death in Wendy's parking lot across from jungle golf. Random shooting outside clubs that historically have catered to the non-hoodrat type clientele, but have switched demographics as of late. I hardly recognize my city anymore during the summer.:?
how is the gang activitie doing in the tidewater area..on the increase??!!

driveramsII

imported post

Most of the trouble I see are high school punks running around pretending to be gangbangers. I went to one of the not soo great high schools and all those punks want to do is fight and wreak havoc because they are from different neighborhoods. Morons!!!!!! I have never been one to hang around the strip at any time of the day but im definitely gone by sundown these days.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

There has been documented gang activity by Crips, Bloods and MS 13 on the Southside in Norfolk, Portsmouth, VB and Chesapeake.

I haven't heard of any direct confrontations between OCers and gang bangers, but I did read on the NoVa thread about some gangbangers giving an OCer the stinkeye at a gas station/convenience store. The punks saw someone OCing and decided to be somewhere else shortly thereafter.

I know they can be fairly fearless when confronting LE in their own countries when they have numerical and tactical advantage, but they don't seem overly interested in challenging OCers or LE in this country. I would still avoid a confrontation if possible. If you drive up to an area that seems to have active gang activity, you may want to find somewhere else to be. You're not Underdog and we'd rather not read about your Last Stand in the obituaries.

Dreamer

imported post

I'm seeing a trend here, folks, at least in VA and NC...

In NC (which like VA is predominantly a VERY OC-friendly state) the cities where MOST of the real LEO-instigated harassment are Fayetteville and Jacksonville. In VA it's the Norfolk area. What do these three cities have in common?

HUGE Military bases. (Bragg, Lejune, and Naval Station Norfolk)

And what has happened in these areas in the last 5 or 10 years?

Massive increase in troop populations, turnover and throughput of military personnel, because of increased training and deployments...

I'm not blaming our fine men and women in uniform. I salute our troops, and I applaud the sacrifices they make, and I feel they deserve full respect from EVERYONE in our society--including civilian LEO's, because of what they volunteer to do.

It just appears that perhaps with the increased militarization of our domestic civilian police force, the civilian LEA's seem to be displaying a trend of aggression and hostility toward lawful carriers in areas (civilian AND active-duty military when off-base) where they know they are out-gunned, out-manned, and out-trained by the REAL military...

I don't mean nothin' by that... I'm just sayin'...