• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Four officers gunned down in Lakewood

John Hardin

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
I'm wondering if this coffee shop had a 'No Firearms' sign on the door? Maybe it wouldn't have mattered... but I kind'a think one of 'us' might have changed that scene...
There were four armed, trained police officers in the coffee shop and they were not able to defend themselves. What makes you think an armed citizen could have reacted any faster?
The perp was supposedly focused on his targets, the officers. They were unable to defend themselves because they were taken totally by surprise and were the immediate target of a planned attack. A carrying citizen would have had time to react because the target was somebody else, could take him by surprise to some degree because his attention was elsewhere, and might have been able to save one or more of the officers' lives.

virgil47

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
virgil47 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
I'm wondering if this coffee shop had a 'No Firearms' sign on the door? Maybe it wouldn't have mattered... but I kind'a think one of 'us' might have changed that scene...
There were four armed, trained police officers in the coffee shop and they were not able to defend themselves. What makes you think an armed citizen could have reacted any faster?
The perp was supposedly focused on his targets, the officers. They were unable to defend themselves because they were taken totally by surprise and were the immediate target of a planned attack. A carrying citizen would have had time to react because the target was somebody else, could take him by surprise to some degree because his attention was elsewhere, and might have been able to save one or more of the officers' lives.
Nice thought.

Solar

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

This is an atrocity by any stretch... 'nI hope the perp or perpsis/are brought down SOON!
Unfortunately whether there was a sign or no firearm policy would have made no difference. There were four armed, trained police officers in the coffee shop and they were not able to defend themselves. What makes you think an armed citizen could have reacted any faster? The only thing that would likely to have happened would be that a very quick thinking citizen would have ended up in a gun fight with the perpetrator as he was exiting the coffee shop. If the citizen would have shot the perp as he was retreating he very well could have found himself/herself charged with a crime. Sad but true in this day and age.
If the perp just SHOT AND KILLED for cops(or civs) you would not be tried for anything. As soon as he commits murder and is armed it doesn't matter that he is retreating or not.

virgil47

imported post

Solar wrote:
virgil47 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

This is an atrocity by any stretch... 'nI hope the perp or perpsis/are brought down SOON!
Unfortunately whether there was a sign or no firearm policy would have made no difference. There were four armed, trained police officers in the coffee shop and they were not able to defend themselves. What makes you think an armed citizen could have reacted any faster? The only thing that would likely to have happened would be that a very quick thinking citizen would have ended up in a gun fight with the perpetrator as he was exiting the coffee shop. If the citizen would have shot the perp as he was retreating he very well could have found himself/herself charged with a crime. Sad but true in this day and age.
If the perp just SHOT AND KILLED for cops(or civs) you would not be tried for anything. As soon as he commits murder and is armed it doesn't matter that he is retreating or not.
I would hope that you are correct however if you look closely you'll find that shooting anyone in the back especially if they are retreating is a punishable crime in Washington State.

G27

imported post

If four police officers failed to draw their weapons to return fire, I highly doubt that any civilian would be able to do the same. No amount of training can make you faster than someone with a gun in their hand determined to kill you; Especially if you're doing something as innocent as enjoying a cup of coffee before work.

I believe this whole piss match and comments on this thread between people is in very poor taste and I can see why a lot of the members who used to be here are no longer. Four people are dead and you guys turn it into this? Very disappointing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

virgil47 wrote:
SNIP I would hope that you are correct however if you look closely you'll find that shooting anyone in the back especially if they are retreating is a punishable crime in Washington State.

Somehow, I think in this situation, the police would investigate such a citizen shooting in a very slip-shod manner. A prosecutor would have to think twice about the political fallout from such a shooting, no?

Separately, I wouldn't want to be the guyon who the police suspicion falls. Y'all see the video of the guy whogot hold of a detective's gun in the interrogation room and shot the detective dead? He showed up in court in a spit mask, his face beaten beyond any possibility of recognition.

Batousaii

imported post

Keeping perspective is important.

- First off, my condolences to the Families, Partners and friends of the officers, and to the department as a whole. This is an awful event that carriesominous implications to all good citizens and

- This is a horribly grim situation, the targeted individuals were all (i am sure) wearing body armor, armed, and trained to deal with an eminent threat in an instant, yet were instantly incapacitated and unable to respond. The reality of this situation brings stark light to all of our presumptions of prowess. None of us are superman, no one here can say they could make a difference, for under those circumstances, any one of us could have also been included in the target selection if the perp identified us as a threat. To an assailant of that caliber, any good citizen identified as a potential threat could have easily been dispatched as well. Be not so brazen as to forget one's own mortality, lest we judge our adequacy beyond it capability to secure our own demise. Be humble in your dealings where death may stand at your side. These brave souls lost have shown us that our lives too should be considered as frail. I shall continue to walk with a .45 Colt at my side, and accept my civicduty with honor and respect for those that died to procure it for me.

Be humble before the dead, for they are humble for you.

:cry:Bat.

ElJefe1911

imported post

As much as I agree that vigilante justice can be a very bad thing, I truly believe that when we as a society say that we have had as much of this crap as we are going to take and we will not stand for this monster being sent to jail where we will spend thousands of dollars a month to keep him housed and fed so he can become a hero to all the other criminals while his victims families will suffer with the tragedy of his actions for generations to come. Eventually enough has to be enough.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Batousaii wrote:
Keeping perspective is important.

- First off, my condolences to the Families, Partners and friends of the officers, and to the department as a whole. This is an awful event that carriesominous implications to all good citizens and

- This is a horribly grim situation, the targeted individuals were all (i am sure) wearing body armor, armed, and trained to deal with an eminent threat in an instant, yet were instantly incapacitated and unable to respond. The reality of this situation brings stark light to all of our presumptions of prowess. None of us are superman, no one here can say they could make a difference, for under those circumstances, any one of us could have also been included in the target selection if the perp identified us as a threat. To an assailant of that caliber, any good citizen identified as a potential threat could have easily been dispatched as well. Be not so brazen as to forget one's own mortality, lest we judge our adequacy beyond it capability to secure our own demise. Be humble in your dealings where death may stand at your side. These brave souls lost have shown us that our lives too should be considered as frail. I shall continue to walk with a .45 Colt at my side, and accept my civicduty with honor and respect for those that died to procure it for me.

Be humble before the dead, for they are humble for you.

:cry:Bat.
+1 well said

amlevin

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
Solar wrote:
virgil47 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

I would hope that you are correct however if you look closely you'll find that shooting anyone in the back especially if they are retreating is a punishable crime in Washington State.
YOU nught want to read this:

[align=right][/align]
[/b]The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody; (which would include a citizen's arrest of the actor ina situation such as the one being discussed).

And:

[align=right][/align]
[/b]Private citizens aiding a police officer, or other officers of the law in the performance of their duties as police officers or officers of the law, shall have the same civil and criminal immunity as such officer, as a result of any act or commission for aiding or attempting to aid a police officer or other officer of the law, when such officer is in imminent danger of loss of life or grave bodily injury or when such officer requests such assistance and when such action was taken under emergency conditions and in good faith.

When either of these statutes are applied, in a situation similar to the one being discussed where a citizen was to shoot the fleeing suspect, I seriously doubt that there would be any prosecution. In a case like this, where 4 armed police officers have been shot, I would certainly believe that there is still a clear and present danger from the actor and wouldn't hesitate to shoot him if I had the clear opportunity.

I there WAS a prosecutor dumb enough to bring charges, what do you think the chances that anyone shooting this worthless waste of DNA would have to pay any of his defense costs?

44Brent-

When someone declares war on the Police as this person apparantly has, I see no problem with him making his final trip off the streets in a body bag.

virgil47

imported post

amlevin wrote:
virgil47 wrote:
Solar wrote:
virgil47 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

YOU nught want to read this:
[align=right]
The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody; (which would include a citizen's arrest of the actor ina situation such as the one being discussed).

And:
[/align]
Private citizens aiding a police officer, or other officers of the law in the performance of their duties as police officers or officers of the law, shall have the same civil and criminal immunity as such officer, as a result of any act or commission for aiding or attempting to aid a police officer or other officer of the law, when such officer is in imminent danger of loss of life or grave bodily injury or when such officer requests such assistance and when such action was taken under emergency conditions and in good faith.

When either of these statutes are applied, in a situation similar to the one being discussed where a citizen was to shoot the fleeing suspect, I seriously doubt that there would be any prosecution. In a case like this, where 4 armed police officers have been shot, I would certainly believe that there is still a clear and present danger from the actor and wouldn't hesitate to shoot him if I had the clear opportunity.

I there WAS a prosecutor dumb enough to bring charges, what do you think the chances that anyone shooting this worthless waste of DNA would have to pay any of his defense costs?

44Brent-

When someone declares war on the Police as this person apparantly has, I see no problem with him making his final trip off the streets in a body bag.
You did not address the retreating portion of my text. As far as this debate I'm going to stand on the sidelines from now on as it has become political in nature.

amlevin

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
You did not address the retreating portion of my text. As far as this debate I'm going to stand on the sidelines from now on as it has become political in nature.

There is a marked difference between fleeing and retreating. This party was fleeing from a heinous crime. Do not confuse it with "retreating" when the actor turns and leaves before comitting his crime.

The defense would center around your attempting to apprehend a fleeing felon, meaning in this case the killer.

REX681959

imported post

My condolences to the families.

We all need to stop & think about this. My opinion & I'm sorry to say this, the guy that did this knew how to handle a firearm. He killed 4 officers before any of them could get off a shot. That's training of some kind, not just a crackhead mad at cops. I assume they had on body armor, that means 4 head shots. Think about that for just a minute. Even if he stepped out of nowhere, still not something your average joe could do. Another thing to thik about, I don't know about you guys but I get mistaken for a cop alot. So not saying don't OC but this could happen to one of us just as easy as these 4 poor LEOs. Godspeed catching this B*****d.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just saw this on the news a few minutes ago.

That is just horrible.

I hope the man is caught, by whatever means necessary and anyone else involved.

Peace be unto those four officers, their families, friends, and law enforcement colleagues.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

He shot and killed 4 police officers, he obviously was concentrating on them another armed patron would have had a very good chance of changing the odds.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Just saw update on TV - no link. One of the officers apparently got off some shots and the perpetrator may have been hit. I so, will require medical attention somewhere.

Yata hey

kwiebe

imported post

First off, condolences to the families.

I wonder how long it will be before the media and local pols start blaming the availability of guns for what happened. :banghead:

killchain

imported post

G27 wrote:
If four police officers failed to draw their weapons to return fire, I highly doubt that any civilian would be able to do the same. No amount of training can make you faster than someone with a gun in their hand determined to kill you; Especially if you're doing something as innocent as enjoying a cup of coffee before work.

I believe this whole piss match and comments on this thread between people is in very poor taste and I can see why a lot of the members who used to be here are no longer. Four people are dead and you guys turn it into this? Very disappointing.
Word. Every time a police officer dies they do this.