• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Four officers gunned down in Lakewood

virgil47

imported post

It was a cowardly act by the so called scruffy individual. It was not however an ambush as he did not lie in wait and attack from a concealed position. To shoot people when they are seated, drinking coffee and using their laptops is the kind of sneak attack only a coward would employ. I hope the police find this guy and give him his just reward.

After watching the news I'm very concerned by the police response to this atrocity. The news media are not helping the public perception of the shooter. Some of their comments appear to glorify this pervert.

I hope the news media and the police that are involved use the atrocity as a learning experience and correct their perceived deficiencies before more police needlessly lose their lives.

44Brent

imported post

I hope the police find this guy and give him his just reward.

That's a very, very bad thing to wish for. What youshouldwish for is for a JUDGE and JURY to apply a punishment after a fair trial.

What you are requesting is vigilante "justice", and that is something that is a threat to the innocent. How would you like the police to decide that you are the "suspect" in the case because you OC, and that they should administer "justice" to you.

A society that employs police officers to administer justice, is not one that should be employing police officers.

virgil47

imported post

44Brent wrote:
I hope the police find this guy and give him his just reward.

That's a very, very bad thing to wish for. What youshouldwish for is for a JUDGE and JURY to apply a punishment after a fair trial.

What you are requesting is vigilante "justice", and that is something that is a threat to the innocent. How would you like the police to decide that you are the "suspect" in the case because you OC, and that they should administer "justice" to you.

A society that employs police officers to administer justice, is not one that should be employing police officers.
Do you know the meaning of the word "just" as it pertains to my comment? If not please look it up .

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I'm wondering if this coffee shop had a 'No Firearms' sign on the door? Maybe it wouldn't have mattered... but I kind'a think one of 'us' might have changed that scene...

This is an atrocity by any stretch... 'nI hope the perp or perpsis/are brought down SOON!

tyguy808

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
... but I kind'a think one of 'us' might have changed that scene...

Maybe if I was there with my "baby armor"people wouldn't be hiding indoors in Tacoma. Maybe people would see that good guys with guns CAN stop criminal activity.

Also, my condolances to the families and friends of OUR fallen heroes!

virgil47

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I'm wondering if this coffee shop had a 'No Firearms' sign on the door? Maybe it wouldn't have mattered... but I kind'a think one of 'us' might have changed that scene...

This is an atrocity by any stretch... 'nI hope the perp or perpsis/are brought down SOON!
Unfortunately whether there was a sign or no firearm policy would have made no difference. There were four armed, trained police officers in the coffee shop and they were not able to defend themselves. What makes you think an armed citizen could have reacted any faster? The only thing that would likely to have happened would be that a very quick thinking citizen would have ended up in a gun fight with the perpetrator as he was exiting the coffee shop. If the citizen would have shot the perp as he was retreating he very well could have found himself/herself charged with a crime. Sad but true in this day and age.

44Brent

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
Do you know the meaning of the word "just" as it pertains to my comment? If not please look it up .

I know exactly what you mean. You are asking in a veiled manner that the police do one of the following:
  1. Findsuspects and physically beat them.
  2. Findsuspects and physically torture them.
  3. Find suspects and kill them.
All without the benefit of a trial.

The police are not paid to administer "justice", they are paid to enforce laws.

virgil47

imported post

44Brent wrote:
virgil47 wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. You are asking in a veiled manner that the police do one of the following:
  1. Findsuspects and physically beat them.
  2. Findsuspects and physically torture them.
  3. Find suspects and kill them.
All without the benefit of a trial.

The police are not paid to administer "justice", they are paid to enforce laws.
As you seem to be unable to find the definition of "just" allow me to provide it for you.

just1 AC_FL_RunContent = 0;var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "15", "  /
thinsp.png
dʒʌst/ Use just[/b] in a SentenceSee web results for just[/b]See images of just[/b] –adjective 1. guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness: We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations. 2. done or made according to principle; equitable; proper: a just reply. 3. based on right; rightful; lawful: a just claim. 4. in keeping with truth or fact; true; correct: a just analysis. 5. given or awarded rightly; deserved, as a sentence, punishment, or reward: a just penalty. 6. in accordance with standards or requirements; proper or right: just proportions. 7. (esp. in Biblical use) righteous. 8. actual, real, or genuine.
Do you now understand the meaning of "just" as I used it?

suntzu

imported post

my condolences to the families of the officers. This is a tragedy.

Get ready for the antis to be screaming for more gun control....as if gun control can stop any of this...