• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Four officers gunned down in Lakewood

kwiebe

imported post

This is getting picked up by the national news too --- as an "ambush". It really pains me to watch the news, it's of such poor quality. Words matter.

Is it too much to ask of the news media that they report news *accurately*? I wish I had the funds, I'd send pallet loads of dictionaries to all the so-called news outlets.

Seriously, some of the stuff I've heard today was worse than what you'd hear from a vocational- or college-level student broadcast. Laughable if it weren't so sad...

opencarrybilly

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
First off, condolences to the families.

I wonder how long it will be before the media and local pols start blaming the availability of guns for what happened. :banghead:

Yes. Condolences to the families. This is a terrible loss to all.

As to the media debate to come:

Probably not long. Maybe we ought to be ready with answers like, “If the majority of ordinary Joes and Janes were armed and trained (and OCing), the bad guys would not dare to shoot. This is why 'a well regulated militia' is necessary. . .”

opencarrybilly

imported post

Or, unless I am just getting carried away, how about a t-shirt or sweat shirt to be worn when OCing that says:

To Protect
· Self
· Neighbors
· and Our Valued Police Officers

(I mean, haven't we had enough?)

FunkTrooper

imported post

I'm really starting to wonder if this is related to the Seattle shooting, I remember hearing someone talk about how the person who shot the cop in Seattle was a "freedom fighter" I really don't know much about either shootings. My heart goes out to all the victims of violence across the world.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
It was a cowardly act by the so called scruffy individual. It was not however an ambush as he did not lie in wait and attack from a concealed position. To shoot people when they are seated, drinking coffee and using their laptops is the kind of sneak attack only a coward would employ. I hope the police find this guy and give him his just reward.

After watching the news I'm very concerned by the police response to this atrocity. The news media are not helping the public perception of the shooter. Some of their comments appear to glorify this pervert.

I hope the news media and the police that are involved use the atrocity as a learning experience and correct their perceived deficiencies before more police needlessly lose their lives.

WTF?

Can we stop with this 'coward' @#$%...

We were attacked by 'cowards' on 9/11...

We were attacked by 'cowards' on 12/7/1941

The fact is, whenever someone gets their ass handed to them, all the sudden the other side is 'a coward'...

A sneak attack is a good strategy, and far from being cowardice, takes BIG balls to go after 4 KNOWN armed targets vs. only one of you..

We got our ass kicked on 9/11 by SMART people.

We got our ass kicked on 12/7/1941 by SMART people.

These officers were killed by someone with big balls, but not necessarily very smart, and probably a @#$%ing nutjob.

It #(%&ing sucks, I hope they catch the guy and I hope he resists with a firearm still... That way they won't have a choice but to remove him from the gene pool.

But I'm tired of all the #(%&# about people being cowards just because they got the better in a situation.

Does it suck, F yeah, but that in no way means someone is a coward just because they won the battle (in a war they will eventually lose).

Just like a damn lib.. 'I don't like it so I'm gonna label it something that noone can disagree with'...

Edited to add: Underestimating your enemy, labelling him 'dumb' , 'a coward', etc etc is a surefire way to get your ass in a sling, AGAIN. How many EMPIRES have fallen because of someone underestimating the enemy and their intelligence/means/weapons,etc etc.

You must ALWAYS understand and respect your opponents strengths. Technically speaking, he did a good job (ignoring the situation itself, of course), 1 person took out four armed targets, obviously there was some planning, and it seemed to be executed pretty well, since it obviously worked.

To ignore the fact that it was successful, would be a folly leading to a repeat situation.

NEVER underestimate your opponent. Ignorance = death.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

opencarrybilly wrote:
Or, unless I am just getting carried away, how about a t-shirt or sweat shirt to be worn when OCing that says:

To Protect
                             ·       Self
                             ·       Neighbors
                             ·       and Our Valued Police Officers

(I mean, haven't we had enough?)

Might I suggest 'community' instead of 'our valued officers', makes it seem demeaning, and the officers are a part of the community.

amzbrady

imported post

I hope if and when he's caught, they dont say he had a permit to carry. None of these shootings are helping to preserve our rights.

My Condolances to our fallen heros and their families.

opencarrybilly

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
opencarrybilly wrote:

To Protect
· Self
· Neighbors
· and Our Valued Police Officers

Might I suggest 'community' instead of 'our valued officers', makes it seem demeaning, and the officers are a part of the community.
Good thinking. But, would some people miss that we are including the police officers, as well as our neighbors, as an important part of the community - and the part that does put themselves on the line. . .? Can we declare here that we are also putting ourselves on the same side of that sameline with them? What do you think?

virgil47

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
virgil47 wrote:
It was a cowardly act by the so called scruffy individual. It was not however an ambush as he did not lie in wait and attack from a concealed position. To shoot people when they are seated, drinking coffee and using their laptops is the kind of sneak attack only a coward would employ. I hope the police find this guy and give him his just reward.

After watching the news I'm very concerned by the police response to this atrocity. The news media are not helping the public perception of the shooter. Some of their comments appear to glorify this pervert.

I hope the news media and the police that are involved use the atrocity as a learning experience and correct their perceived deficiencies before more police needlessly lose their lives.

WTF?

Can we stop with this 'coward' @#$%...

We were attacked by 'cowards' on 9/11...

We were attacked by 'cowards' on 12/7/1941

The fact is, whenever someone gets their ass handed to them, all the sudden the other side is 'a coward'...

A sneak attack is a good strategy, and far from being cowardice, takes BIG balls to go after 4 KNOWN armed targets vs. only one of you..

We got our ass kicked on 9/11 by SMART people.

We got our ass kicked on 12/7/1941 by SMART people.

These officers were killed by someone with big balls, but not necessarily very smart, and probably a @#$%ing nutjob.

It #(%&ing sucks, I hope they catch the guy and I hope he resists with a firearm still... That way they won't have a choice but to remove him from the gene pool.

But I'm tired of all the #(%&# about people being cowards just because they got the better in a situation.

Does it suck, F yeah, but that in no way means someone is a coward just because they won the battle (in a war they will eventually lose).

Just like a damn lib.. 'I don't like it so I'm gonna label it something that noone can disagree with'...

Edited to add: Underestimating your enemy, labelling him 'dumb' , 'a coward', etc etc is a surefire way to get your ass in a sling, AGAIN. How many EMPIRES have fallen because of someone underestimating the enemy and their intelligence/means/weapons,etc etc.

You must ALWAYS understand and respect your opponents strengths. Technically speaking, he did a good job (ignoring the situation itself, of course), 1 person took out four armed targets, obviously there was some planning, and it seemed to be executed pretty well, since it obviously worked.

To ignore the fact that it was successful, would be a folly leading to a repeat situation.

NEVER underestimate your opponent. Ignorance = death.
My use of the word cowardly was not accidental but in response to chan. 5 news stating on the air that the shooter was one of the most dangerous people in Washington. The news folks in effect were giving the shooter props for being such a bad ass much as your post does. I'll not call a sneak attack that of a bad ass. The shooter is a COWARD and should be addressed as such.
You should never give your opponent the satisfaction of giving him accolades for a job well done as he will rinse and repeat every time.

Kildars

imported post

Person of interest identified.

21755994_300X169.jpg

Troyer said Clemmons has an extensive violent criminal history from Arkansas, including aggravated robbery and theft. He has also recently been arrested and charged in Pierce County for assault on a police officer and for rape of a child.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Police-officers-shot-78089882.html

TechnoWeenie

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
My use of the word cowardly was not accidental but in response to chan. 5 news stating on the air that the shooter was one of the most dangerous people in Washington. The news folks in effect were giving the shooter props for being such a bad ass much as your post does. I'll not call a sneak attack that of a bad ass. The shooter is a COWARD and should be addressed as such.
You should never give your opponent the satisfaction of giving him accolades for a job well done as he will rinse and repeat every time.

I didn't call him a bad ass, and of course I disagree with what he did.

Calling him a coward does nothing but set up a possible situation where he is underestimated, which will of course lead to something else...

Ever hear someone say 'he's not smart enough to do that' or 'he'd never do that' , and they end up doing it?

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR ENEMY.

virgil47

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
virgil47 wrote:

Calling him a coward does nothing but set up a possible situation where he is underestimated, which will of course lead to something else...

Ever hear someone say 'he's not smart enough to do that' or 'he'd never do that' , and they end up doing it?

I agree that we should never underestimate an opponent however claiming he is the most dangerous person in Washington causes him to be looked up to by gang members. If all of the shootings were labeled as cowardly many of the shooters may give their actions a second thought as they do not wish to be considered cowards. That is not to say that the police should underestimate them but use the label against them.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
virgil47 wrote:

I agree that we should never underestimate an opponent however claiming he is the most dangerous person in Washington causes him to be looked up to by gang members. If all of the shootings were labeled as cowardly many of the shooters may give their actions a second thought as they do not wish to be considered cowards. That is not to say that the police should underestimate them but use the label against them.
Kinda like naming us terrorists or 'gun nuts' ? I mean, we're talking bout labels that people use for their own benefit right?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kildars wrote:

21755994_300X169.jpg

Troyer said Clemmons has an extensive violent criminal history from Arkansas, including aggravated robbery and theft. He has also recently been arrested and charged in Pierce County for assault on a police officer and for rape of a child.

Chilling: The police say he is not a suspect, he is aperson of interest. They have evidence he was in the area; and they think he is avoiding them.

So, they name him on television news. But, remember, he is not a suspect.

George Orwell strikes again.

swatspyder

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Kildars wrote:

21755994_300X169.jpg

Chilling: The police say he is not a suspect, he is aperson of interest. They have evidence he was in the area; and they think he is avoiding them.

So, they name him on television news. But, remember, he is not a suspect.

George Orwell strikes again.
Legal reasons. He is the suspect.

opencarrybilly

imported post

OK, folks. Can we move on?

Can we leave off the usual and find some ways to express our deepest sympathy for the families, friends, and colleagues of those four? Can we find an appropriate expression for our solidarity for our public servants in support of those American principles given us by the Founders? Can we somehow say that we stand with them in their grief as well as in their sincere desire to uphold the Constitution and abide by the laws of the land in the performance of their duties - and ours? Can we speak to them in such a way that they might come to understand that they and we hold the same principles at the core and that the choice between safety and those principles is, indeed, a false choice, as our President has suggested?