• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Four Police Officers Shot and Killed at Coffee Shop

woody510

imported post

Now here is something to think about, what if these two armed men would have walked up and seen every day average citizens openly carrying outside this coffee shop or even inside for that matter do you think its a good possibility they would have had second thoughts or not even followed through with what they where about to do?

Or what if they wouldn't have stopped with the officers and just started to gun down innocent people.

whats every ones take on this? and people want to know why we choose to exercise or 2A right

I just found this out as well but was anyone else aware that the same department also had a lone officer gunned down on Halloween while he was training a second officer i don't feel this is a coincidence sounds like they may have a pair of cop killers on there hands

Gundude

imported post

Is some patrons were armed, they may have suceeded with the killing, but they would never have gotten out of there alive. My sympathies to their families

leoffensive

imported post

woody510 wrote:
Now here is something to think about, what if these two armed men would have walked up and seen every day average citizens openly carrying outside this coffee shop or even inside for that matter do you think its a good possibility they would have had second thoughts or not even followed through with what they where about to do?

Or what if they wouldn't have stopped with the officers and just started to gun down innocent people.

whats every ones take on this? and people want to know why we choose to exercise or 2A right

I just found this out as well but was anyone else aware that the same department also had a lone officer gunned down on Halloween while he was training a second officer i don't feel this is a coincidence sounds like they may have a pair of cop killers on there hands

i think its more likely that the two armed men would have noticed the armed citizens and not have gone through with their actions but, we dont know their motives so you cant really say for sure. but one this is for sure and that is people would much rather have armed citizens there to have some kind of fighting chance if something like this happens again

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't mean to sound cold, and I don't know all the details, but it looks like the officers were in condition white. This just reinforces the fact that you need to always be aware of your surroundings, especially in public.

SouthBayr

imported post

woody510 wrote:

If they were able to get the drop on 4 trained professionals, I doubt any OC'ers would have had a chance.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
If they were able to get the drop on 4 trained professionals, I doubt any OC'ers would have had a chance.
That's the one nice thing about OCing, we don't have to wear uniforms. This guy specifically targeted the police officers. It would have been great if some citizen would have stopped this murderer before he could kill these officers.

On a related note, it's sad that OCers usually carry to protect themselves and others from people exactly like this murderer, but a lot of California police officers view us as a threat and not as an ally. We both want crime to be non-existent, police officers are definitely needed to help accomplish this goal, but armed citizens have their place as well. We need to work together to prevent tragedies like this from occurring.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
We both want crime to be non-existent, police officers are definitely needed to help accomplish this goal...
Cite?

Haha, ok sorry. I just couldn't resist after getting a request for citation over a debatable, non-legal position the other day.

yelohamr

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Cite?

Haha, ok sorry. I just couldn't resist after getting a request for citation over a debatable, non-legal position the other day.
Was that when you were getting kicked around in the Arizona OC Forum?

bigtoe416

imported post

marshaul wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:
We both want crime to be non-existent, police officers are definitely needed to help accomplish this goal...
Cite?
Heh...fair enough! I don't have a citation, as you might expect. I imagine armed citizens could reduce crime significantly through deterrence, but I'm fairly certain somebody would have to be paid to track down criminals that get away with crimes. So if those people are police officers, or private investigators seeking a reward, or whatever, somebody has to investigate crimes which were successful.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yelohamr wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Cite?

Was that when you were getting kicked around in the Arizona OC Forum?
Actually, although that was amusing, this occurred in the thread about the Militia Movement. I was talking about racial pride being generally OK but race-based nationalism being bad, and I was asked for a cite by a budding Stormfronter.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:
Cite?
Heh...fair enough! I don't have a citation, as you might expect. I imagine armed citizens could reduce crime significantly through deterrence, but I'm fairly certain somebody would have to be paid to track down criminals that get away with crimes. So if those people are police officers, or private investigators seeking a reward, or whatever, somebody has to investigate crimes which were successful.
I agree.

Citizen posted in another thread an analysis of the history of American law enforcement, with focus on the Constitutionality of professional police forces.

Very interesting reading. Recommended.

http://www.constitution.org/lrev/roots/cops.htm

woody510

imported post

A little off the subject but i took a P.O.S.T PC.832 its a crash course for reserve police officers who are looking to go strait to the field it was through the sheriffs department they qualified us and everything but i remember one of the statistics that will always stand out in my mind and i will never forget. An instructor told me that something like 70% of crime goes unreported or unsolved i couldn't believe this but the instructor verified it and told us that the police wont disclose info like this to the general public there was other stuff to but that was one thing that stuck out the most

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've failed to report a crime before. It simply isn't worth dealing with LEOs who are going to be more interested in laws you're breaking than in resolving the law broken in violation of your property. And I'm not even a criminal!

In fact, that's one reason I'm here today, advocating proactive, armed citizenry but notably not professional police (as some of you may have noticed ;)).

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

What I have a hard time comprehending is how can all 4 cops have been taken out so swiftly by one man? Surely at least the 3rd or 4th officer could have reacted fast enough to shoot back and take the bg out! Maybe they all were a bit complacent and not using their SA (situational awareness). Anyway it is very sad what happened.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

woody510 wrote:
A little off the subject but i took a P.O.S.T PC.832 its a crash course for reserve police officers who are looking to go strait to the field it was through the sheriffs department they qualified us and everything but i remember one of the statistics that will always stand out in my mind and i will never forget. An instructor told me that something like 70% of crime goes unreported or unsolved i couldn't believe this but the instructor verified it and told us that the police wont disclose info like this to the general public there was other stuff to but that was one thing that stuck out the most
Most crime goes unsolved or unreported for various reasons. I have been the victim of crimes and attempted crimes and in all cases the police do little but take a report.

Even in the case of me being stabbed the police still said there wasn't much they could or would do.

Instead they prefer to knock on my door and tell me I am playing COD4 too loud and hassle me when I am washing my clothes OC.

But I think the public in truth knows that the politics of crime solving and policing are not doing the job, and that in the long run is why we are getting the pendulum swinging back in our direction. We trusted the government to reduce crime and keep us safe, they failed. . . now we want the power back.

As for the shooting, I would give just about anything to say that these officers were targeted because they were officers. It is probably personal or gang-related. In this circumstance there would have been little that anyone could have done to prevent this tragedy, but they may have been able to prevent the escape of the perpetrators.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
Actually, the "trained professionals" are notoriously bad when it comes to gun fighting. Cops generally don't do a lot of shooting; many do only the minimum required to keep their job.

At least that's what I read here.

For those too lazy to click and read through, they found that criminals who commit assault on police officers practiced MUCH more than the average police officer. Lots of other interesting findings in the study... stop being lazy and click over!

I believe armed citizens are much more likely to be more enthusiastic about target shooting and training. Therefore, I believe armed citizens would be more physically (muscle memory) and mentally prepared to defend their lives.

bad_ace

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Actually, the "trained professionals" are notoriously bad when it comes to gun fighting. Cops generally don't do a lot of shooting; many do only the minimum required to keep their job.

I'm not surprised. I was talking shop with two San Francisco Officers at an event they were pulling security for. When I asked them what they carried, they had no idea, not make or model. One removed the strap on his holster and lifted it out enough to catch the make :)

I asked what type of ammo they preferred, they answered "what ever the department gives us". He pulled out a magazine and by the looks of it, winchester rangers FMJ.

In this case It's obvious the officers were specifically targeted and an OCer at best might have been able to stop the shooter from leaving the scene.

I've been involved in shootings (OEF OIF) and you'd be surprised how much can take place 'before' you react, if you react at all.