• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it better to have a cheap riffle rather than none?

bigdaddy1

imported post

I read very often about how poor a riffle an AK47 is, and that the AR is such a superior weapon. However you can buy 2 AK's for the price of 1 AR. I would LOVE to have an AR (style) riffle, but I just cant get past the price tag. I feel its better to have a reliable weapon you can afford, rather than wishing for one you cant.

office888

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I read very often about how poor a riffle an AK47 is, and that the AR is such a superior weapon. However you can buy 2 AK's for the price of 1 AR. I would LOVE to have an AR (style) riffle, but I just cant get past the price tag. I feel its better to have a reliable weapon you can afford, rather than wishing for one you cant.
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=161&

Enjoy your $599.95 AR15.

Although I did jump on Dunham's Black Friday sale. $279 for a WASR10 Single-Stack.

-Richard-

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

office888 wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:

Enjoy your $599.95 AR15.

Although I did jump on Dunham's Black Friday sale. $279 for a WASR10 Single-Stack.

-Richard-
WOW, AWESOME deal on the 599.95 AR15 !!! , thats like 300-400 off regular price, they want to flood the market with them. that's awesome.

if the SHTF the AK-47 is a ok rifle, Very Reliable, but accuracy is not so good.
AR-15, very reliable, needs to be cleaned regularly and lubed regularly, accuracy is High with open sights , but much much more accurate with a red dot or rifle scope.
30 round magazine are plentiful & cheap for both weapons , but ammo is not so cheap anymore for either. I got ride of my Yugo, underfolder AK-47, will never part with the AR15 , I am currently working on a AR Build so I will have 2.

suntzu

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Poor? The AK takes a lot of abuse and still fires...the AR/M16/M4 fails...the military has experienced more than a few failures of the M4...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,563883,00.html

No gun if failure proof, but the AK is more reliable in my opinion than any AR/M16/M4 you can find and for half the cost. You can even tactical it up and make it look a lot better than any AR you could find-again IMO.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I feel its better to have a reliable weapon you can afford, rather than wishing for one you cant.

Your feeling is correct. If you don't already have a SKS, go out right now and buy one... Seriously...:cool:

You can still find them for $200 or so.

Either puta scope on it or a set of Tech-Sights. You will be amazed at what you can hit with it and how far away. If you don't plan to learn how to use the aperture sights, just stick with a scope. Get a decent scope and not a cheap red dot or the $10 telescopic type they advertise for the SKS. You do not have to spend alot. A $35 Simmons 8-point or Blazer will do just fine. With a little practice, at 300 yds you should be able to hit a9" pie pan consistently. That is a deadcritter if you are shooting atanything coyote size orlarger...;)

Forget about those goofy hi cap mags. 10 rd factory internal mag and your extra rounds on stripper clips will do you well. When you are so good with it that it isn't a challenge hitting anything, then worry about spending 3x as much on a AR.

For all of you AK enthusiasts who are AR bashers, I have a challenge for you. I know that any of your rifles are capable of shooting 4MOA.You can use your AK and I will use an AR. PlaceFive 8 1/2"x11" sheets of paper which each havingfive 1" squares on them evenlyspaced outon the sheet at 100 yds. Each rifleshould have fired 500rds ofWolfammo without being cleaned before the challenge. Let's see who can hit all 100 squares at least once in the shortest amount of time.I promise not to use the forward assist......:dude:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
An AK ? LOL.....the most inaccurate weapon ever made , ok...you and your Buddies AK-47, since you can't afford your own... , against me and MY AR-15 at 100 yards.....

PS. Myself and Interceptor are good friends, we also shoot together on a regular basis. We don't always agree on everything, but then again who does. Competition wise, Interceptor has better toys than me, hands down...but I am trying to catch up:celebrate, thinking about buying a FA toy from Henry late next year.:D

Glock34 wrote:
if the SHTF the AK-47 is a ok rifle, Very Reliable, but accuracy is not so good.
AR-15, very reliable, needs to be cleaned regularly and lubed regularly, accuracy is High with open sights , but much much more accurate with a red dot or rifle scope. 30 round magazine are plentiful & cheap for both weapons , but ammo is not so cheap anymore for either. I got ride of my Yugo, underfolder AK-47, will never part with the AR15 , I am currently working on a AR Build so I will have 2.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lets see. The AK in one form or another has been in production for 60 years and so far the world has built more over 90 Million of them. Variations of the Stoner design have been in production since 1960 and the best info I have found so far is that there are about 9 million of them.

As for the crap about AR reliability, a lot of that is rumor based on issues when the design first went into the field in the 1960's and most of those problems have been solved for many years.

So lets see. Your choice is between the most produced rifle in history that is so common that even people who know nothing about guns can identify one on sight. A weapon that works in the dirt, without cleaning or high grade maintenance, and that can be repaired by untrained labor in the wilderness using nothing more than basic blacksmithing skills, but is of foreign design. Or a rifle that costs twice as much, is a high precision instrument that is somewhat high maintenance is recognized as accurate by many and is a variant of the US battle rifle.

It kind of depends on your planned use. If you plan to use this in the next war on American soil, you might do better to base your decision on the availability of ammo under battle conditions. If you think we will get invaded, you might want to consider the AK cause that is what the invader may be carrying and your ammo can come from them. If you think it will be a domestic issue, then go with the AR. Or you can get the AR in the same caliber as the AK and have the best of both worlds.

The fact is if you plan to compete get the AR if you just need to toss lead and might on occasion need to reach out and touch someone, get the AK.

Regards

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Lets see. The AK in one form or another has been in production for 60 years and so far the world has built more over 90 Million of them. Variations of the Stoner design have been in production since 1960 and the best info I have found so far is that there are about 9 million of them.

As for the crap about AR reliability, a lot of that is rumor based on issues when the design first went into the field in the 1960's and most of those problems have been solved for many years.

So lets see. Your choice is between the most produced rifle in history that is so common that even people who know nothing about guns can identify one on sight. A weapon that works in the dirt, without cleaning or high grade maintenance, and that can be repaired by untrained labor in the wilderness using nothing more than basic blacksmithing skills, but is of foreign design. Or a rifle that costs twice as much, is a high precision instrument that is somewhat high maintenance is recognized as accurate by many and is a variant of the US battle rifle.

It kind of depends on your planned use. If you plan to use this in the next war on American soil, you might do better to base your decision on the availability of ammo under battle conditions. If you think we will get invaded, you might want to consider the AK cause that is what the invader may be carrying and your ammo can come from them. If you think it will be a domestic issue, then go with the AR. Or you can get the AR in the same caliber as the AK and have the best of both worlds.

The fact is if you plan to compete get the AR if you just need to toss lead and might on occasion need to reach out and touch someone, get the AK.

Regards
if we get invaded, it would be by China....and they don't use AK47's anymore , and the weapons they now use, does not fire the AK47 7.62X39 ROUND, so once the AK47 toting thugs waste the 400 rounds of ammo they got, by shooting from the hip in a spraying motion & not hitting anything....what good is the AK47 ? yup, a so so club. yet, the AR15 guys , prefer the aimed, one shot one kill thang..and they normally stock pile Thousand of rounds of ammo, like myself...so a Month after the war starts, which rifle will still be in use ?

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
It kind of depends on your planned use. If you plan to use this in the next war on American soil, you might do better to base your decision on the availability of ammo under battle conditions. If you think we will get invaded, you might want to consider the AK cause that is what the invader may be carrying and your ammo can come from them.
Unless you plan on Somalia or Ethiopia invading us, you are SOL... Neither the Sovietsnor the Chineseuse the 7.62x39as their primary round......:cool:

If you are in a conflict on American Soil, you would be better off with a .30-30, .30-06 or .270.....;)

bigdaddy1

imported post

office888 wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:

Enjoy your $599.95 AR15.

-Richard-
Went for the double stack myself.:lol:

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Went for the double stack myself.:lol:

The primary difference between the 2 rifles can be eliminated in only about 10 minutes with a Dremel....;)

They both start out as the same single stack rifle when they arrive on American Soil. The mag wells are hogged out for the hi cap mags and American parts are swapped in to make them 922(r) compliant. That is it in a nutshell.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I don't think there will be any invading going on any time soon. I am not one of the Mad Maxer'swaiting for armageddon. I do believe in being prepared just in case some sh*t does happen.:p