• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Because I can carry a full sized service pistol

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
atlantis wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I saw two holes in this story (no pun intended). It says the officer shot the BG in his left leg, severing his femoral artery. That artery is in the right leg.

Really irrelevant to the conversation... but you brought it up as a hole in the story.... I assure you each lower extremity has a femoral artery.
The left leg has a larger femoral artery.

While it is true that there is a femoral artery in each leg, they are both nominally the same size. Any difference in this regard is strictly due to natural variation in biological organism growth patterns.

Regards

Bull Frog

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
atlantis wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
I saw two holes in this story (no pun intended). It says the officer shot the BG in his left leg, severing his femoral artery. That artery is in the right leg.

Really irrelevant to the conversation... but you brought it up as a hole in the story.... I assure you each lower extremity has a femoral artery.

While it is true that there is a femoral artery in each leg, they are both nominally the same size. Any difference in this regard is strictly due to natural variation in biological organism growth patterns.

Regards

Both still bleed - damage to one will result in death in approximately four minutes.

He must be right legged. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
atlantis wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Since when?? Maybe if your left leg is larger than the other or some other physical oddity
If either of your femoral arteries are severed, you have very little time to stop the blood flow before you are unconscious, something like 30 seconds. if the flow is not stopped or slowed, you have about 5 minutes before too much blood is lost to save you.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
atlantis wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Since when?? Maybe if your left leg is larger than the other or some other physical oddity
If either of your femoral arteries are severed, you have very little time to stop the blood flow before you are unconscious, something like 30 seconds. if the flow is not stopped or slowed, you have about 5 minutes before too much blood is lost to save you.
because the femoral artery for the right leg branches off from the main femoral artery, which is on the LEFT side of your body (remember your circulatory system is NOT symmetrical)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
atlantis wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

because the femoral artery for the right leg branches off from the main femoral artery, which is on the LEFT side of your body (remember your circulatory system is NOT symmetrical)

The artery in both legs is nominally the same size and while the system is not perfectly symmetrical it is approximately symmetrical as shown in the image below. The only variation is due to natural differences and imperfections in biological growth patterns. You know ... we are all like snowflakes ...

14295_39_1.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
atlantis wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Sorry gentlemen. I stand corrected.

SlowDog

imported post

Several years ago I was carrying an AMT Back up 380. In it was Corbon +p's. I was forced to defend myself. That little round everyone belittles hit said BG in left thigh. It broke his thigh bone and put him on his face. I was very lucky because that was #4 which means I missed three times with 2 left.

simmonsjoe

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
Several years ago I was carrying an AMT Back up 380. In it was Corbon +p's. I was forced to defend myself. That little round everyone belittles hit said BG in left thigh. It broke his thigh bone and put him on his face. I was very lucky because that was #4 which means I missed three times with 2 left.
I don't belittle the 380. The hot loads have better ballistics than the .38 special out of a 2" barrel. And I used a .38 snubbie to defend myself, double tapping center chest a few years ago (no misses). I now carry a .380 if I'm not carrying a full sized .45

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
SlowDog wrote:
I don't belittle the 380. The hot loads have better ballistics than the .38 special out of a 2" barrel. And I used a .38 snubbie to defend myself, double tapping center chest a few years ago (no misses). I now carry a .380 if I'm not carrying a full sized .45
I'll admit, I'm not above acquiring a .380 while I can't afford a HK P9S in .45. There was a Bersa Thunder on craigslist but I didn't get a reply.

SlowDog

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
SlowDog wrote:
I'll admit, I'm not above acquiring a .380 while I can't afford a HK P9S in .45. There was a Bersa Thunder on craigslist but I didn't get a reply.
Go to gunbroker.com. There are tons of them.....just sayin.....

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

SlowDog wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
SlowDog wrote:
Go to gunbroker.com. There are tons of them.....just sayin.....
Yeah, but GB isn't really set up for trading between broke people.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

yale wrote:
It's difficult to conceal a fullsized Ruger P-89 when dressing for typical south Louisiana weather. I could opt for a smaller weapon and/or one in a smaller caliber or fewer rounds but I'm not comfortable doing that.
The P89 was my first CC weapon. I'm a skinny guy, too. I'm not sure where you're having the difficulty. Aluminum Frame, Stainless Slide. No Rust!

I carried IWB 6 O'Clock. OC isn't an option here. North Florida ain't much different from Southern Louisiana. It was actually the most comfortable and accessible carry mode I ever had... The small of my back is the only place I can really put anything of reasonable size and have it not print.

zack991

imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
atlantis wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Regards

Both still bleed - damage to one will result in death in approximately four minutes.

He must be right legged. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
I thought I was the only one who had this opinion. :D

Sig229

imported post

IMO - This day and age, a revolver or a 1911 with 6 or 7 rounds is NOT adequate.

Many bad guys have far more rounds in they're pistols and or rifles.

I dont care if you are the best pistol shooter in the world and you can hit the X ring with your eyes closed.

In a tactical situation, there will be moving targets, sometimes behind cover and your adrenaline is going to be pumping through you like crack cocaine.
You will most likely miss half the times you shoot.

I too am glad I can OC, because I carry my Sig 229-R with 13 rounds and an extra 12 round magazine on my belt.

Just my 2¢