Thread: Just bought a Mosin-Nagant 91/30!

Post imported post

I can't wait to shoot it! Anyone know of a place in the Kalamazoo area where one could go to shoot such a rifle?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

Allegan Public Range is free.

Take Monroe Rd. out of Allegan, it's about 2 miles down.

Maximum range is about 150, maybe 200 yards.

Remember, corrosive ammo! Either pour hot water down the barrel before cleaning, or run a few windex-swabs through it to neutralize the corrosive salts.

-Richard-

Post imported post

Thanks for the info. Is the range open anytime? Unsupervised?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

Ya clean all of the cosmoline out of it?

Which one did ya get? 91/30, m38 , m59 or an M44
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

i love my mosin nagant! Kicks like a mule though. i have the m44. Always brings a smile to ones face when they shoot it for the first time.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Is the range open anytime? Unsupervised?
    Unsupervised.

Open liikke 9am to Sunset (7pm).

Usually no one there, although sometimes there's one or two people sighting in deer rifles, or plinking with .22 LRs.

Not many people know about it.

-Richard-

Post imported post

I can't find an address online anywhere - what's the closest cross street?

I'm looking at Google maps right now and see something that looks like it could be an outdoor range. It's just west of where Monroe merges with 118th ave, west of town. Is that right?

Post imported post

Autosurgeon - I don't know the difference between those guns. From what I've researched, it's just a 91/30. I'll post pics shortly.

Post imported post

A good place to learn all about your new rifle!

http://7.62x54r.net/

How to clean up if you shoot surplus corrosive ammo.. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu13.htm

NOTE I only shoot surplus for plinking and I get it from Aim Surplus online.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Here are mine.

1925 m91/30 Hex Receiver

1945 M44

Post imported post

Darn - I don't know how to post pics. Do I have to upload them to the internet somehow?

Where can I find the non-corrosive not-surplus ammo?

Post imported post

Same place www.aimsurplus.com.

Gander Mountain has it too but way high on price.

I use a photo bucket accoout and then copy and paste the .img links into the post

Post imported post

Here's mine!

Post imported post

Autosurgeon - you said you only shoot surplus ammo for plinking - is there better ammo out there for casual shooters?

Post imported post

Also, the cleaning rod on the rifle is only long enough to go about halfway down the barrel. What do I do about that?

By the way, thanks for all the help! I'm glad people here are willing to volunteer their time to educate others!

Post imported post

To be perfectly honest the surplus stuff is just fine it is just as accurate as any new production ammo. You just have to clean the corrosive salts out when you are done shooting.

Post imported post

Any ammo that is marked 7.62x54r will shoot just fine.

Post imported post

But the newer ammo is non-corrosive, right?

Post imported post

Wolf, brownBear and all of the US manufactured stuff is Non Corrosive.

But NOTE corrosive amm is no big deal you just have to run a couple of patches wet with windex or water down the barrel and then clean as usual. You also want wipe the bolt face.

Another thing you will want to do if the serial number on the bolt is diff from the receiver is have the head space checked before firing OR hold the gun far away from you face and fire into the ground for the first shot.

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    I can't find an address online anywhere - what's the closest cross street?

I'm looking at Google maps right now and see something that looks like it could be an outdoor range. It's just west of where Monroe merges with 118th ave, west of town. Is that right?
    It's like 3680 Monroe Dr, just after Bayview drive. Gravel parking lot, with the sidewalk. It's small, but it's free and better than not shooting.

-Richard-

Post imported post

Excellent!

Spray windex or some other ammoniated cleaner down the bore, and clean it out thoroughly in the standard manner even if you only shoot a few shots.

Corrosive ammo is just fine if you clean your gun. But it's completely unforgiving if you don't.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Autosurgeon (or anyone who can answer) - two more questions and I think I should be good for now...

1) Do I need to get a longer cleaning rod if mine only goes halfway down the barrel, or should I just clean it from both ends?

2) If I don't take it to a gunsmith to have the headspace checked before I shoot for the first time, is the rifle safe if it doesn't explode on the first shot? Or could it still have a headspace issue and shoot fine for a bit, then explode on the 10th round I shoot?

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    Autosurgeon (or anyone who can answer) - two more questions and I think I should be good for now...

1) Do I need to get a longer cleaning rod if mine only goes halfway down the barrel, or should I just clean it from both ends?

2) If I don't take it to a gunsmith to have the headspace checked before I shoot for the first time, is the rifle safe if it doesn't explode on the first shot? Or could it still have a headspace issue and shoot fine for a bit, then explode on the 10th round I shoot?
    1.) Yes, you'll need a longer rod.

Ideally, you should NOT make up-down passes. You should put the rod through the barrel...then put the patch on the rod. So you're only pulling crud/carbon/fouling UP, OUT the muzzle. You'll find your cleaning goes a LOT faster, because you don't just push stuff around in the middle.

2.) You should be fine.

I've never heard of a headspace issue with a mosin. Although I'd still fire the first round from the hip, just to be sure. Check the case, look for excessive bulging near the rear.

-Richard-

Post imported post

Thanks for the help!

Post imported post

Get a cleaning Kit with a brass rod.