• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just bought a Mosin-Nagant 91/30!

office888

imported post

Allegan Public Range is free.

Take Monroe Rd. out of Allegan, it's about 2 miles down.

Maximum range is about 150, maybe 200 yards.

Remember, corrosive ammo! Either pour hot water down the barrel before cleaning, or run a few windex-swabs through it to neutralize the corrosive salts.

-Richard-

office888

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Is the range open anytime? Unsupervised?
Unsupervised.

Open liikke 9am to Sunset (7pm).

Usually no one there, although sometimes there's one or two people sighting in deer rifles, or plinking with .22 LRs.

Not many people know about it.

-Richard-

EM87

imported post

I can't find an address online anywhere - what's the closest cross street?

I'm looking at Google maps right now and see something that looks like it could be an outdoor range. It's just west of where Monroe merges with 118th ave, west of town. Is that right?

EM87

imported post

Autosurgeon - I don't know the difference between those guns. From what I've researched, it's just a 91/30. I'll post pics shortly.

autosurgeon

imported post

Here are mine.

1925 m91/30 Hex Receiver

p1000516.jpg

1945 M44

P1080754-1-1-1.jpg

EM87

imported post

Darn - I don't know how to post pics. Do I have to upload them to the internet somehow?

Where can I find the non-corrosive not-surplus ammo?

EM87

imported post

Also, the cleaning rod on the rifle is only long enough to go about halfway down the barrel. What do I do about that?

By the way, thanks for all the help! I'm glad people here are willing to volunteer their time to educate others!

autosurgeon

imported post

Wolf, brownBear and all of the US manufactured stuff is Non Corrosive.

But NOTE corrosive amm is no big deal you just have to run a couple of patches wet with windex or water down the barrel and then clean as usual. You also want wipe the bolt face.

Another thing you will want to do if the serial number on the bolt is diff from the receiver is have the head space checked before firing OR hold the gun far away from you face and fire into the ground for the first shot.

office888

imported post

EM87 wrote:
I can't find an address online anywhere - what's the closest cross street?

I'm looking at Google maps right now and see something that looks like it could be an outdoor range. It's just west of where Monroe merges with 118th ave, west of town. Is that right?
It's like 3680 Monroe Dr, just after Bayview drive. Gravel parking lot, with the sidewalk. It's small, but it's free and better than not shooting.

-Richard-