• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
visited eye doctor on Friday where nobody in the clinic said a word as i OC'd. as i was checking out and the main desk, there was an adult in the waiting room with what appeared to be a small 'badge' on their ball cap and reading a binder w/big sheriff's decal on the cover.

being engrossed in his binder, he never saw my sidearm until i left walking by with my sidearm right at his eye level...if he would have had a cold he would have died as he gasped, quit breathing, choked, his hands on the chair arms as if he thought about quickly getting up, but by then, i was out the door.

glad i don't need glasses as i watched the whole thing go down out of the corner of my eye

then to shopping in the goldsboro mall...again nobody said a word...

ipse
LOL - sometimes the tactically unaware forget to inhale......or exhale :lol:

Jamesm760

Both Goodwill and The Salvation Army are anti-gun. I'm surprised you found a store without a gunbuster or verbiage on the door. I OCed in to the Goodwill off Maynard Rd in Cary, since they had a sign on the door banning CC, not OC. The confused manager told me that she "wasn't asking me to leave, but wanted to know if I didn't mind leaving." She didn't even say someone came up to her saying they were afraid, she said someone came to her and made it known that I was carrying, and she could "sense they might have been scared." I went back at a later time, and they got rid of the "no concealed weapons" sign and put up a "no weapons" sign. Every one I have been to in the Triangle now has this message on the door.

When I was at the SA store on Tryon Rd in Raleigh, a manager came up and asked if I was an officer, and I asked why he was inquiring. He replied that they only allow officers to OC in the store. I asked if this was his rule, or the corporate office's rule. He replied it was a corporate decision, and there was a sign on the door. I told him I always check the door before I come in, and there is no sign. He takes me to a corkboard inside of the building where people post lost pet signs, for sale posters, etc, and removes several layers of people's crap to display his gunbuster sign. -.-

He then taped the sign to the door, and while he was doing that, I informed him that a criminal wishing to do harm to you/customers or rob the place doesn't care about your sign..it only keeps the law-abiding from giving you their money. He replies, "Well, we aren't worried about that."

I haven't seen any gun signs at the Goodwill where I go. Employees have not said anything to me about me carrying there. Everytime I go in though I always check the doors again just in case. If I am ever asked to leave... then I'll leave and I'll stop going there. I also OCed at a salvation army with no signs on the entrance, without a problem.

beardandbrass

First Ever Inconvenient Encounter

First let me preface by saying I'm new to the forum and OC but I've learned so much after reading through this thread. So thanks to everyone for your knowledge, wisdom and endless sarcasm.

I've been OCing for a couple months now regularly in the Washington/Greenville area with absolutely no encounters until this past weekend. While walking through the Greenville mal with my wife, her mother and sister, I was approached by a security guard who inquired "Excuse me, are you a LEO?" "No sir, why?" He began to inform me that there was a strict No Gun policy (my first thought being "than why even ask if I'm LEO?" But I held my tongue) and that I would need to leave my gun in the car. I politely refuted that I've entered the mall multiple times, doing due diligence to look for No Gun signage and have never seen any or had any problems carrying in the mall before. He told me there were signs and after asking him to he led me to one. Located in between the outside doors and the entrance doors (in that little lobby type area) off about 15 feet to the right and around the corner he pointed out the mall policy stating "Display of weapons, IN A THREATENING MANNER, is prohibited. Well that opened up a new can of worms. I asked first how I had been threatening and second, why this, the only sign, was not conspicuously displayed? He continued with "it really means no guns at all." Well that's not how they taught me to read in kindergarten but thanks for educating me. I of course asked to speak with a manger on duty but there were none because it was a weekend. I was directed to the head SG only to have the same conversation, insulting my knowledge of the English language. I will say one good thing, the head SG was very polite and instructed me to call the General Manager during business hours saying that if enough people made a stand a change could come of it. I intend to do just that. I called yesterday with no luck and will do so again today, and again and again until I reach him. I will update everyone on the conversation as well as post the name and number for all my Greenville OC friends to make the call as well.

Sorry I was lengthy.

WalkingWolf

All the malls in NC seem to be the have the same rules of conduct posted in the food court. The only place giving any indication and in small print on top of that. But it is a futile waste of time to debate the issue, keep contact minimal only IMO to get further contact information. When told to put my gun in the vehicle I respectfully decline because security is too inept to stop parking lot theft, then I leave. I have not been in a mall in 20 years, don't miss them at all, in some communities they are dying. The country is returning to strip malls instead without the stupid policies and wannabe cops/mall security, screw them.

Personally I do most of my shopping online, waiting for three packages today. If I want to go for stroll I take walk down the road, outside of waiving at residents and passing motor vehicles I have little contact with zombies of the mall.

solus

officially welcome to the forum, (seems you have lurked for a bit before posting) and sorry your mall OC excursion was problematic but it sounds like you held presence of mind to get through the ordeal with professionalism.

one consideration is entering through the mall's capstone store(s) as you discover they do not normally post gun buster signs.

one aspect for you to be aware of, there are several malls in the state who have set up their own 'special police' (not mall ninja mentality) who go through NC LE training, are sworn LEs with arrest powers and have been known to get cranky when mall shoppers push back at their absolute excellent advice based on their infallible perspective of mall etiquette (oh wait, there is that sarcasm you referred to...).

finally, always remember, you can not win an argument with an idiot and you can't lower your self to their level and hope to win as they have more practice being an idiot than you do. (or pack of management idiots, as the case might be)

ipse

solus

funny thing happened while standing in line at burger king ~ the grandmth of a young 4-5 yo, standing in line specifically pointed out my pistol to the youn'g which started a conversation in childise of why i have a gun, am i a police man, do you shoot birds with it, sure your not a police man? Grandmth helped by saying i use it to protect myself from bad guys where the youn'g quickly looked horrified, swiftly looking around for the 'bad guys'!! this conversation ended, thankfully, when they got to the order window, but resumed as we all waited for our food to be brought out.

i got even by asking grandmth in my clearest voice ~ why aren't you carrying your pistol? at which point the youn'g continued the mantra through their lunch: ya why don't you have a gun to protect us from the bad guys? she glared, i smiled...waving at the youn'g as they left the store.

ipse

razor_baghdad

i got even by asking grandmth in my clearest voice ~ why aren't you carrying your pistol? at which point the youn'g continued the mantra through their lunch: ya why don't you have a gun to protect us from the bad guys? she glared, i smiled...waving at the youn'g as they left the store.

ipse

Spectacular come back!! ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I love my grandchildren enough to want to protect them from bad people. That gets the gears whirring.

papa bear

Hey BEARDandBrass, welcome to the forum.

maybe we should have a carry and walk around the mall. as rights advocates we should let our presents be known more

beardandbrass

Thanks guys for the welcome. Still no word on the mall incident. The GM called back but we've had conflicting schedules.

I'm down for a mall meet-up papa bear. Maybe a Chick-Fil-A lunch. Hey, I love guns, chicken and Jesus!

tiggy1190

Oh how I love ignorant people!

Went to Huddle House in Biltmore for lunch Thursday. The waitress ringing us out burst out with a "he's got a gun", but in a joking manner. I didn't find it too funny myself. Then she asked if I had a permit, and I gave her my schpill, and she said I was wrong. Then she said "my son had to get one to carry", and I replied that was probably for CC. She called me a liar, and said I need to learn the law. She stated that "no one can just openly carry a fire arm". I tipped her $2, and told her to have a good day.

solus

more gracious that i would have been...after being called a liar. i'd stuck the 2 bucks in the change for children normally in front of the register.

come on over to the huddle house off 117 in goldsboro, nobody has said a word as i eat there weekly.

ipse

325rto

Went to Huddle House in Biltmore for lunch Thursday. The waitress ringing us out burst out with a "he's got a gun", but in a joking manner. I didn't find it too funny myself. Then she asked if I had a permit, and I gave her my schpill, and she said I was wrong. Then she said "my son had to get one to carry", and I replied that was probably for CC. She called me a liar, and said I need to learn the law. She stated that "no one can just openly carry a fire arm". I tipped her $2, and told her to have a good day.

She sounds very unprofessional for someone in the hospitality industry. Might I suggest speaking to her manager and lodging a complaint?

Last edited:

325rto

Related story - but unrelated.

A situation happened to my wife a couple of years ago at a local food lion. She, and my kids, were in the checkout line and racial comments were made to her, we are White. The store associate just laughed and actually supported the comments of the other customers, they were all black.
She was publicly humiliated, in front of our young girls.
Now this is a store that we frequented several times a week, to the cost of about 200-250 dollars a week. Although there were other grocery stores closer, we spent our money there in support of the past experiences with the store associates.
When she told me about that incident, I wrote a bad review on that store's internet site, complained to the store manager, and sent an email to their corporate office.
The store manager called me and offered a gift certificate, which I never picked up. We now shop at a food lion that is closer to the house, and have never stepped foot in the other food lion. BTW: the associate was fired.
Money talks- ******** walks.
Sorry for the long winded post.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

A situation happened to my wife a couple of years ago at a local food lion. She, and my kids, were in the checkout line and racial comments were made to her, we are White. The store associate just laughed and actually supported the comments of the other customers, they were all black.
Now this is a store that we frequented several times a week, to the cost of about 200-250 dollars a week. Although there were other grocery stores closer, we spent our money there in support of the past experiences with the store associates.
When she told me about that incident, I wrote a bad review on that store's internet site, complained to the store manager, and sent an email to their corporate office.
The store manager called me and offered a gift certificate, which I never picked up. We now shop at a food lion that is closer to the house, and have never stepped foot in the other food lion. BTW: the associate was fired.

We shopped in one Fayettnam Food Lion, ONCE! It resulted in a call to corporate, and it had nothing to do with carry. Not sure why this district manager has not been fired.

XD40sc

I haven't seen any gun signs at the Goodwill where I go. Employees have not said anything to me about me carrying there. Everytime I go in though I always check the doors again just in case. If I am ever asked to leave... then I'll leave and I'll stop going there. I also OCed at a salvation army with no signs on the entrance, without a problem.

Goodwill in Asheville is not posted.

XD40sc

All the malls in NC seem to be the have the same rules of conduct posted in the food court. The only place giving any indication and in small print on top of that. But it is a futile waste of time to debate the issue, keep contact minimal only IMO to get further contact information. When told to put my gun in the vehicle I respectfully decline because security is too inept to stop parking lot theft, then I leave. I have not been in a mall in 20 years, don't miss them at all, in some communities they are dying. The country is returning to strip malls instead without the stupid policies and wannabe cops/mall security, screw them.

Personally I do most of my shopping online, waiting for three packages today. If I want to go for stroll I take walk down the road, outside of waiving at residents and passing motor vehicles I have little contact with zombies of the mall.

I often shop at local retailers, but I have not set foot inside the mall here in decades, (I hear it is posted) But it is not because of the gun-buster signs, but because there is not a single over priced store in any mall I would spend a dime in.

Jamesm760

$0 would have been my tip for her, and I would have also asked to speak with a manager.

I'm glad they did something about your incident. FL is pretty good about OCing while shopping. Every now and then you will have employees that don't act right, but that's for any company. FL tries to make sure the customers are happy unlike other companies that could give a crap what their employees do.

We shopped in one Fayettnam Food Lion, ONCE! It resulted in a call to corporate, and it had nothing to do with carry. Not sure why this district manager has not been fired.

Was the incident involving the district manager? :uhoh:

WalkingWolf

$0 would have been my tip for her, and I would have also asked to speak with a manager.

I'm glad they did something about your incident. FL is pretty good about OCing while shopping. Every now and then you will have employees that don't act right, but that's for any company. FL tries to make sure the customers are happy unlike other companies that could give a crap what their employees do.

Was the incident involving the district manager? :uhoh:

Rudeness, and lack of customer service, as well as basic customer support has been a longggggg on going problem for Fayetteville stores. I am talking years of the downright customer abuse. When you have that going on YES it involves the district manager. In customer related retail operations the poop flows up, and the buck stops with the district managers. If they cannot get it under control, they need to be let go.

I met one of the district managers in Pittsboro about a decade ago, he was introduced to me by a employee. He was a very rude person and dismissed me as a nothing in the interaction. I told him he would not last, and he didn't, it didn't take very long. But customers in places like Pittsboro are wayyyy less willing to put up with anything less then stellar service.

Last edited:

tiggy1190

I should have been more clear. She was only ringing us out. My 2 bux was to go to the waitress that served me not her.