• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Dreamer

OC'd while out running errands with the family today. Only two places that I unholstered was at my daughters school and another school during a meeting for my son. Nobody said a word. Then running to Walmart and ate dinner at Ci-Ci's Pizza on Western. Alot of looks there but nothing unusual. Even had a very pleasant conversation with a OCSD Deputy (who's name I have puposely forgotten to Protect the innocent) regarding the best place to go from my CCW class. Heard from him that the Sheriff himself has a CCW, along with his wife, just to show support for the 2nd Amendment. Overall, a great day!

The Deputy probably lied to you.

LEOs do not need a permit to carry concealed ANYWHERE in NC, or in the entire USA, for that matter. NC State law exempts them from needing a permit in NC, and Federal law (LEOSA) gives them the privilege in EVERY State and municipality in the USA, and their LEO credentials serve as a "carry permit".

Any LEO who would get a permit is a fool, because 1) he's ALREADY allwed to CC anywhere in the country on his LEO credentials, and 2) he's throwing good money to get a permission slip that he doesn need.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

LEOs do not need a permit to carry concealed ANYWHERE in NC, or in the entire USA, for that matter. NC State law exempts them from needing a permit in NC, and Federal law (LEOSA) gives them the privilege in EVERY State and municipality in the USA, and their LEO credentials serve as a "carry permit".

Any LEO who would get a permit is a fool, because 1) he's ALREADY allwed to CC anywhere in the country on his LEO credentials, and 2) he's throwing good money to get a permission slip that he doesn need.

Unless he had the permit prior to being elected to the position and wishes to retain it considering that he might leave for any number of reasons w/o having obtained minimum service requirements of LEOSA- is possible, yes? That and of course his job would not carry with it the benefit of his wife carrying w/o a permit.

Think maybe a bit is lost in translation between the Sheriff, the officer and the user/poster here where we read the words 3rd or 4th hand - just saying.

WTFOVER

I tend to agree with your post but this one just blows me out of the water. So, not knowing the deputy and or the poster you deducted from reading a paragraph that the deputy lied to the poster? Man, is it rough living in your world where everyone in law enforcement is bad?

********** Did you stop and think long enough that maybe they got their's before the law was enacted? I know plenty of LEO's that have concealed carry permits for the simple fact that before NC enacted certain laws they wouldn't have to get a PP. Also it allowed them to carry out of state before Bush signed the law in.

Last edited by a moderator:

chiefjason

What, did she think it was - a squirt gun? And if I had decided to use the gun for whatever insane reason was in her head - what would standing a foot over toward her do? Perhaps this lone encounter she had with a MWAG that didn't turn out to be some nutcase - just some guy with a dog sitting and minding his own business - gave her a different perspective on things. One can only hope...

spock-kirk.jpg

DocWest8404

Or Here's an Idea.... Maybe, Just maybe....Now stay with me on this one, it's CRAZY..... Maybe the Sheriff and his wife went out and got their CCP's for no other reason than to show support for our rights....... I know, It's crazy..... But just maybe.....

FlyBoy276

Ah, you saw through my thinly veiled questions. :lol:

Welcome to our world, glad to have you aboard. Is there any follow up to the OP?

Thoroughly enjoyed my time in Raleigh - lived off of Avent Ferry Rd. down by Lake Johnson.
No follow up to the OP...but I did have a nice experience, today. I stopped by the Food Lion near Triangle Town Center on Capital Blvd while on my lunch break, and was stopped by a guy in the parking lot.

Him: Excuse me..sir!
Me: Yes?
Him: Two things...first off..
Me: (Here it goes...)
Him: ...thank you for open carrying. Secondly, thank you for being a black guy and still open carrying.
Me: :lol:

I didn't catch his name, but he's an OCDO member...I may have been mistaken, but I think he had the 2A tattooed on the inside of his right arm? Anyways, I wasn't having the best of days, and that encounter turned it around. At least until I got back to work. :p

Avent Ferry, eh? Im off Jones Franklin, myself. Howdy, ex-neighbor! :)

Last edited:

jag06

I met a friend of mine and his girlfriend for a late breakfast today at Tex and Shirley's Pancake House at Wendover and Penny Rd in High Point (the one across the street from the Palladium). He just got back in town from being commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in the US Air Force and will be heading to flight school next week. I was OC'ing my G21. When we finished we went to the counter to pay. There was a hostess next to the counter to seat people and then the lady at the register. My friend was paying and then the hostess looked at me and said, "Why are you carrying a gun?" Then the lady at the register said I never noticed he had one. The hostess then said I saw it the first time I walked past him. I replied that it was for self defense and with the tough times that we are in, you cannot turn on the news without seeing a restaurant being robbed or someone being mugged and shot. I then told her that I knew police officers and some say that when seconds count they are only minutes away. I told her that the only person you can count on to protect yourself, is yourself. You cannot count on the police to be there to protect you. The whole time both of the ladies were nodding their heads in agreement. About that time my friend said OC was legal in NC without needing a permit. The hostess apologized several times for being nosy and said she was just wondering if I was a police officer or something and said she has learned if you don't know the answer to a question to just ask. I told her I did not mind her asking. We talked for a minute and then me and my friend headed for the door. They smiled most of time of and when we headed for the door told us to have a nice day and we said the same to them. The lady that asked seem more curious and not the, "OMG why are you carrying a deadly device that randomly kills people?!?". Both agreed that you cannot expect the police the be there to defend yourself and you must be able to defend yourself. They both seemed to like the I was OC'ing after talking to them. Good experience overall.

62 Caddy

No follow up to the OP...but I did have a nice experience, today. I stopped by the Food Lion near Triangle Town Center on Capital Blvd while on my lunch break, and was stopped by a guy in the parking lot.

Him: Excuse me..sir!
Me: Yes?
Him: Two things...first off..
Me: (Here it goes...)
Him: ...thank you for open carrying. Secondly, thank you for being a black guy and still open carrying.
Me: :lol:

I didn't catch his name, but he's an OCDO member...I may have been mistaken, but I think he had the 2A tattooed on the inside of his right arm? Anyways, I wasn't having the best of days, and that encounter turned it around. At least until I got back to work. :p

Avent Ferry, eh? Im off Jones Franklin, myself. Howdy, ex-neighbor! :)

Hey Neighbor, off Jones Franklin myself.

Medic1210

OC'd while out running errands with the family today. Only two places that I unholstered was at my daughters school and another school during a meeting for my son. Nobody said a word. Then running to Walmart and ate dinner at Ci-Ci's Pizza on Western. Alot of looks there but nothing unusual. Even had a very pleasant conversation with a OCSD Deputy (who's name I have puposely forgotten to Protect the innocent) regarding the best place to go from my CCW class. Heard from him that the Sheriff himself has a CCW, along with his wife, just to show support for the 2nd Amendment. Overall, a great day!

Sure hope you parked well off the school grounds, especially since you're talking about it online.:eek:

papa bear

i was at ORiely's getting a part the other day and a guy came in looking for a job. he looked abit rough. when he show i was carrying he exclaimed" whoa dude are you some kind of security. me "no". "well why are you carrying a gun are you a cop". well i looked at him and a mean strike went through me. i said "i 'm sorry i can't answer that question". he said "really". i said "and you sir have a good day". nodded at the guy behind the counter and left

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
i was at ORiely's getting a part the other day and a guy came in looking for a job. he looked abit rough. when he show i was carrying he exclaimed" whoa dude are you some kind of security. me "no". "well why are you carrying a gun are you a cop". well i looked at him and a mean strike went through me. i said "i 'm sorry i can't answer that question". he said "really". i said "and you sir have a good day". nodded at the guy behind the counter and left

+1, papa bear

SharpEye

OC'd for the first time today, in a pretty populated gas station (ShortStop in Hope Mills). Had a couple looks but no seconds. Felt the nervousness as it was my first time but walked out with a sense of accomplishment.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OC'd for the first time today, in a pretty populated gas station (ShortStop in Hope Mills). Had a couple looks but no seconds. Felt the nervousness as it was my first time but walked out with a sense of accomplishment.

The more you do it, the easier it gets. The easier it gets, the more you will do it. :lol:

Carry a good digital recorder (always on) and keep your tactical awareness as a constant.

SharpEye

Will keep my Android voice recorder on at all times until I can purchase a standalone.

Question: Does anyone know if the Best Buy on Skibo Rd in Fayetteville has a gunbuster sign?

Last edited:

madcitysw

Been open carrying the last two weeks or so now. Must say the first time I opened carry into Walmart was very breathtaking because I didn't know what to expect. At my local Walmart, I did however had a little girl jump backwards saying "Oh crap" as I was turning around to get something else. Aldo had a couple that looked at me kinda funny too. However I open carried at my next door store (which is right where I live) and the owner's wife stated that she knows about our rights to carry one, but was nice to let me know that they are not comfortable having guns in the store so that will be one store I won't able to bring a gun next time. I also went into Gamestop today to buy the new Ghost Recon game and everyone was friendly. Other than that, so far everything is good for me.

Medic1210

I hope you told that nice lady that you will be taking your business elsewhere if they choose to infringe on your right to protect yourself while shopping there...

bc.cruiser

PrestonW

BB is not posted.
The Olympus 7000 works well.

Read this, and then you will see why I do not patronize BB. http://www.radicalislam.org/analysis/why-best-buys-support-cair-such-big-deal

Dang, guess no more Best Buy for me, oh well no big loss since I rarely went there to begin with.

However I open carried at my next door store (which is right where I live) and the owner's wife stated that she knows about our rights to carry one, but was nice to let me know that they are not comfortable having guns in the store so that will be one store I won't able to bring a gun next time.

I personally wouldn't disarm, I'd have a civil conversation with the owner and wife on why I carry. If they still didn't like it I would regretfully inform them that I would respect their opinions and would no longer bring my sidearm into their store, unfortunately for them my sidearm stays with me and I would not be going into their store as well.

Back on topic, been OC'ing around the Morehead City, Newport, Cape Carteret, Swansboro areas without much incident the past month or so. Only had one guy give me the evil eye in Cox's Family Restaurant down by the Golden Corral in Morehead while I was paying for my wife and I's breakfast, but I just smiled at the gentleman bid him a good morning and wished him a safe day and walked to my car. Handed out a flyer and talked to a delivery driver for either Dominos or Papa Johns [forget which] last week when I answered the door with my 6906 holstered on my hip.