• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

lpb8733

OC'd at Lowe's and Aldi in Hendersonville. Have done so at those locations on more than one occasion. No 2nd looks or comments; all quiet, as it should be.

solus

ArmyxSoldier, first thanks for your service to our country...it is appreciated.

second, you have been welcomed to the forum, you will find the tarheel subforum is also a great place to discern about the state's OC'g.

now i recommend some reading material:

1. the NC AG has put together a good read: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

2.here is a good link where you will find NC statutes with an excellent search function in the upper right corner:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutestoc.pl

again thanks and welcome...

carry safely

ipse

Jamesm760

Hey eveyone,
My name is Marcus and my family and I just moved from Miami, Fl to Asheville, NC. Im very happy to learn more about this open carry thing we got up here. Now quick question. When I look through the OC code, I find it hard to get the straight answers I'm looking for. I do realize I might not be in the right thread for this but I'm tired of clicking buttons.

1) While OC'ing, can my .45 be loaded, or does the clip have to be separated from the weapon on my hip?

2) While OC'ing, does the holster have to be a certain type? (Meaning does it have to have a snap button harness, etc...)

I'm sure I will be posting more often questions I have. I was going to ask the cop this morning at the gas station, but there were 3 civilians in line and I didnt want to be the dumbass floridian asking stupid questions.

I'll be waiting for a response, thank you for your time.

1) Yes, have the MAGAZINE loaded, in the pistol, and even have a round in the chamber.

2) No, you can tie it with some rope and hang it around your neck if you wish... not sure how much of a good idea that would be though. :p I personally use a retention holster just in case that infamous crackhead ever decides to sneak up behind me and attempts to take my pistol. ***Sarcasm*** Also if you look at the picture at the top of the page, you can use both outside the waist band and inside the waist band holsters... just make sure it is always visible.

3) like someone else already said, don't ask LEOs (law enforcement officers) any questions... ever. (just my opinion)

Extra1) OC in vehicle... for the most part everyone will agree that passenger seat and dash is "OC" other people will say that they just keep it in their holster... your call.

Extra2) Always carry a recording device with you, if you have a cell phone... that should be ok if it has at least voice recording.

Extra3) Make sure you check out the links that Solus linked you with.

Welcome to the OCDO (the forum) and NC!! :banana:

dmatting

I experienced the oddest comment that has been directed to me regarding oc the other night at Kroger in Durham. I was bagging our groceries and an older guy walks past and says that he'll be sure not to tickle me on that side. I didnt have a response for him. I mean, what the heck are you supposed to say to that??

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I experienced the oddest comment that has been directed to me regarding oc the other night at Kroger in Durham. I was bagging our groceries and an older guy walks past and says that he'll be sure not to tickle me on that side. I didnt have a response for him. I mean, what the heck are you supposed to say to that??
Thank you?

77zach

Publix is good to go, no looks no nothing, the way it should be! Went to the one by S. Tryon & Arrowood needed a few things, never been inside service was pretty good & they have boars head cold cuts yum!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

That's funny, Publix is going North. They're one of the only games in town in Florida and south Georgia, been that way for generations. They're also very anti-gun but follow state law as it relates to carry. They fought OC here in 2011 through the Fl retail federation, successfully.

Last edited:

r1dramma

That's funny, Publix is going North. They're one of the only games in town in Florida and south Georgia, been that way for generations. They're also very anti-gun but follow state law as it relates to carry. They fought OC here in 2011 through the Fl retail federation, successfully.

Wow that's crazy. They have been open for a few months in this area, the deli manager came by several times and even asked if I was been taking care of. While checking out I walk right by the cs desk and several people just said have good day and come back soon. Interesting, they have another location about 3 miles away, next time I'm going to have to try that one.

77zach

Wow that's crazy. They have been open for a few months in this area, the deli manager came by several times and even asked if I was been taking care of. While checking out I walk right by the cs desk and several people just said have good day and come back soon. Interesting, they have another location about 3 miles away, next time I'm going to have to try that one.

They all follow corporate policy, which is to follow state law. They are very polite, sometimes to the point of chik-fil-a obsequiousness. I just hate them for what they did to OC in Fl, and the fact that a lot of their berries usually suck like most grocery stores. It may have just been a Fl thing with ignorant people in charge here. OC never hurt them in Georgia so not sure why they cared so much.

Vagrant

Just had a minor altercation with the security working at the chipotle off west wendover in greensboro, I exited out of chipotle with my burrito bowls in tow, and as I was leaving the security kinda quickly said hey, so I turned around and he asked "do you have your concealed carry?" And I plainly said no, to which he said well I'm sorry but you can't bring your firearm inside, to which I casually said, only if the store manager tells me I cant, which I turned around and continued along, as he kinda meekishly said "God Bless" to me, which I replied with a simple thanks.

jtitus07

Just had a minor altercation with the security working at the chipotle off west wendover in greensboro, I exited out of chipotle with my burrito bowls in tow, and as I was leaving the security kinda quickly said hey, so I turned around and he asked "do you have your concealed carry?" And I plainly said no, to which he said well I'm sorry but you can't bring your firearm inside, to which I casually said, only if the store manager tells me I cant, which I turned around and continued along, as he kinda meekishly said "God Bless" to me, which I replied with a simple thanks.

I don't even give them the pleasure of telling them no. I simply reply that I don't need one and leave it at that.

PS. Since when does Chipotle have security?

PLUR

Long time lurker, wanted to sign up so I could reply.

Rockingham county resident, been around guns all my life but only recently started carrying in the last year. I open carry of course, I was planning on getting my CCP at some point but money became an issue so I didn't want to go through the trouble. I will eventually get it just in case I ever need it though.

Current daily carry is a Sigma 9mm, I know it isn't a favorite around these parts (or anywhere) but mine has been good to me. I've put lots of ammo through it over the last year and never had any issues. Love the gun and the price was just right (purchased it new from a local dealer). I tried out a few Glocks but none of them felt as good in my hands as the Sigma, plus they were a little out of my price range.

I've had no issues carrying anywhere in the county. The Wal-Marts, Dollar Generals, Food Lions, gas stations (mostly local ones, but go into Sheetz regularly as well) and all the fast food places have never said a word to me. I have gotten the odd look here or there, but less often then the nod of approval from other folks.

My first day OCing I went to the Biscuitville in Eden for breakfast. There were a bunch of us in there waiting on our orders, this was back around the start of last year when we got that big snow storm. I was a bit nervous about it even though I knew I was following the law to the letter. Anyway I look over and the guy next to me is OCing, and as we're waiting another guy is in line ordering his breakfast and he was OCing too.

Since then I've gotten used to it and people have gotten used to me OCing. No one ever says a word, some nights I work late and end up in the Sheetz at 2-3am when all the local LEOs are in there hanging around. They've never said anything to me about it and don't seem to care.

I've done a few road trips down to Concord for work and OCed for every one of them. No issues with any places between here and there although I rarely make many stops. So far I've had no issues anywhere I've gone but I do always check for a sign before entering a new place of business.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
My first day OCing I went to the Biscuitville in Eden for breakfast. There were a bunch of us in there waiting on our orders, this was back around the start of last year when we got that big snow storm. I was a bit nervous about it even though I knew I was following the law to the letter. Anyway I look over and the guy next to me is OCing, and as we're waiting another guy is in line ordering his breakfast and he was OCing too.

Since then I've gotten used to it and people have gotten used to me OCing. No one ever says a word, some nights I work late and end up in the Sheetz at 2-3am when all the local LEOs are in there hanging around. They've never said anything to me about it and don't seem to care.
Welcome to the forum PLUR.

Three OCers unknown to each other in the same restaurant for breakfast = well protected location.

Where "seldom is heard a discouraging word", simply the way it should always be. :)
http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/home-on-the-range.html

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO!:D

Before somebody else does it I will tell you that it is CHP in NC. And yes during weather emergencies people tend to carry more OC and CC. We went to McDonalds(yeck/barf) in Sanford after that snow storm for internet access. There were three others OCing in the restaurant that day. Usually I am lucky to see one other person OCing, except for Wally World. It seems Wally World has become the OCers paradise, a good thing for Wally World and us.

PLUR

Three OCers unknown to each other in the same restaurant for breakfast = well protected location.

Yea I got a bit of a chuckle out of it. My first thought was man you'd be an idiot to try something in here. I don't entertain any fantasies about begin a bad ass but it put me at ease about having my own for sure. It was kinda funny to run into two other guys begin so casual about it on my first day. I didn't speak with them, wish I would have now.

Before somebody else does it I will tell you that it is CHP in NC. And yes during weather emergencies people tend to carry more OC and CC. We went to McDonalds(yeck/barf) in Sanford after that snow storm for internet access. There were three others OCing in the restaurant that day. Usually I am lucky to see one other person OCing, except for Wally World. It seems Wally World has become the OCers paradise, a good thing for Wally World and us.

Ah thank you I wasn't sure exactly what the correct term was. I intended to start classes way back in the spring but things came up. I'd like to have the option and the classes seem interesting. Just can't justify the cost/time in going at the moment. :(

That day was an oddity for sure. I don't see people carrying openly too often, but you're right usually when I do they're in Wal-Mart. I try to avoid going in there if I can but you know how it is (I just hate shopping in general).

Thanks for the welcomes BTW.

Oh one last thing! It struck me as odd and I haven't figured out exactly what the guy was up to yet. We recently had a murder happen near my home (one teen shot another, really sad) and the local LEO's have been out in force lately keeping an eye on things. I stopped in at my usual gas station for smokes one night and ran into a friend of a friend.

We were standing near the door outside talking about guns, he asked about mine then preceded to go off on a bit of a rant. We talked for a bit about rifles since I am planning on getting a new one for deer hunting. While this is going on a guy exits the store and passes by us. He stopped and stood there for longer than usual and I caught him staring at my firearm. I took a step back (he was kinda close and on my right side) and just kept on with the conversation I was having. He stood there a little while longer then walked away and got in his car.

I don't know if he was just a weirdo but he didn't give me the impression that he was or that the gun bothered him in the "I'm shocked" kind of way. I think he might have been an off-duty LEO, he carried himself like one and looked the part at least. Given the circumstances of the week (the shooting had happened a day or two before just a mile away) I don't blame him for taking the time to make sure we were on the level. The guy I was talking with is kinda animated and loud so he might have thought we were arguing at first.

It just came off as odd to me is all.

Last edited:

dmatting

... Ah thank you I wasn't sure exactly what the correct term was. I intended to start classes way back in the spring but things came up. I'd like to have the option and the classes seem interesting. Just can't justify the cost/time in going at the moment. :( ...

This is one of the big arguments I have against the whole licensing garbage just to carry CC. People who have CHPs are a privileged class. You have to pay to play - and it isn't necessarily cheap. By the time all is said and done, you have to put out close to $200 - and you still have to purchase a pistol and a proper holster. There are arguments out there that justify the cost - but I don't see it. There are many who see $200 as a LOT of money - enough to completely deter them from even starting the process. While spending money on a tangible item like a pistol can be justified - the expense of the privilege card cannot. It is an elitist club of government approved privilege holders and keeps many who need it from obtaining it.

For full disclosure, I am a member of the aforementioned elitist club because I do have a CHP. I mainly use it for carry purposes in other states (SC and FL, mostly) and occasionally here in NC as well. Perhaps that makes me a hypocrite, IDK. The fact that I have the CHP does not make me a proponent of it, though.