• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

WalkingWolf

Dairy Queen Sanford gun buster sign

We were going to stop at DQ in Sanford after visiting the doctor and saw the gun buster sign on the top of the door. Drove down the road to Hwy 55 for hot dogs, and a brownie sundae. So sorry DQ, you don't get my money, plus the service at 55 was great.

solus

We were going to stop at DQ in Sanford after visiting the doctor and saw the gun buster sign on the top of the door. Drove down the road to Hwy 55 for hot dogs, and a brownie sundae. So sorry DQ, you don't get my money, plus the service at 55 was great.

the 55s are great on service and their food has been fairly consistent across this part of the state...

sorry to hear about the DQ tho...sum'n bout their blizzards....yummmmy

ipse

CDT COX

the 55s are great on service and their food has been fairly consistent across this part of the state...

sorry to hear about the DQ tho...sum'n bout their blizzards....yummmmy

ipse

Are they formerly Andy's?

WalkingWolf

Are they formerly Andy's?

Yes, they were Andy's before. Good food, good service, no hassles. And for us since we don't eat much economical. We shared a hot dog basket, and brownie sundae. The sundae was huge, good thing we did not order two. Though for me my half got kinda melted, a patron stopped to talk to me about open carry.

REDFIVE48

Exit Strategy

Had company in town so decided to do an adult night out and have fun. Went to Exit Strategy to see if we could escape the room (we failed miserably), but before could get into the room, one of the front desk people looked a little freaked out and disappeared to the back. In comes the owner of the place asking if I was law enforcement. When I informed him I wasn't, he said they don't allow guns in the building (building was not posted). Since there were a lot of us and I wasn't going to ruin the night I asked if they were taking responsibility if it gets stolen from my car parked in their lot. He allowed me to store the weapon in the lockers they have for people to use for gear not going into the room with you. My friend with me, who does have a DHS badge, asked if it mattered for law enforcement. Owner said even law enforcement has to disarm, and he used to be law enforcement.
Anyway, can't seem to report on friend or foe as it can't find the business, but thought you should all know.
Went to Mac's Speedshop after to eat and had no issues.

solus

Had company in town so decided to do an adult night out and have fun. Went to Exit Strategy to see if we could escape the room (we failed miserably), but before could get into the room, one of the front desk people looked a little freaked out and disappeared to the back. In comes the owner of the place asking if I was law enforcement. When I informed him I wasn't, he said they don't allow guns in the building (building was not posted). Since there were a lot of us and I wasn't going to ruin the night I asked if they were taking responsibility if it gets stolen from my car parked in their lot. He allowed me to store the weapon in the lockers they have for people to use for gear not going into the room with you. My friend with me, who does have a DHS badge, asked if it mattered for law enforcement. Owner said even law enforcement has to disarm, and he used to be law enforcement.
Anyway, can't seem to report on friend or foe as it can't find the business, but thought you should all know.
Went to Mac's Speedshop after to eat and had no issues.

you made yourself and your 'cause' (stolen from lot) known to the proper individual and they admitting they are former LE explains a lot about their mentality...right he would cross the blue line and make his goode ole brother'n disarm...

good job...

ipse

solus

got a call from an acquaintance who knows i OC and asked me about it, so we chatted and then he told me he called Wayne sheriff's department and was told 'nope you can't OC in this county'.

drafting a letter to the newly elected Sheriff asking him to please ensure his deputies are appropriately informed and trained, if necessary, to ensure they have the proper knowledge base to know OC'g activities are not illegal within the state, let alone the county he is the highest peace officer over!

anybody else need to be info'd, on this letter? sheriff's association or a waste of a stamp?

ipse

CDT COX

got a call from an acquaintance who knows i OC and asked me about it, so we chatted and then he told me he called Wayne sheriff's department and was told 'nope you can't OC in this county'.

drafting a letter to the newly elected Sheriff asking him to please ensure his deputies are appropriately informed and trained, if necessary, to ensure they have the proper knowledge base to know OC'g activities are not illegal within the state, let alone the county he is the highest peace officer over!

anybody else need to be info'd, on this letter? sheriff's association or a waste of a stamp?

ipse

Sheriff's association couldn't hurt. Maybe they'll remind all hundred of them.

nobama

The first mistake they made was to call the Sheriff. We all know better, because we know what the answer will be 90% of the time.

papa bear

The first mistake they made was to call the Sheriff. We all know better, because we know what the answer will be 90% of the time.

Unfortunately WTP, these are the LE we would have to deal with. If this is the attitude of the office, then we have a real problem. It is good for SOLUS to point this out and hopefully do something about it

Maybe we could have a showing there

FlyBoy276

I was furniture shopping recently, and a sales associate at one of my stops noticed my 1911 and jokingly stated, "Hey, um...if you're here for me, I swear I'll get that check in the mail in the morning! :lol:" I assume he meant backed child support, or something? Haha.

Also, I was leaving the local Harris Teeter when 2 guys in their early to mid twenties (who were loitering outside) noticed my sidearm.

Guy: "I see you're carrying...what kind?"
Me: "It's a 1911."
Guy: "I know, but what make? I mean, which company manufactured it?"

I thought he might ACTUALLY be knowledgeable about firearms and wanted to chat, from that statement..

Me: "It's a Springfield GI."
Him: "Nice. Is it single, or double-action?"

...I was wrong. :lol:

WalkingWolf

I was furniture shopping recently, and a sales associate at one of my stops noticed my 1911 and jokingly stated, "Hey, um...if you're here for me, I swear I'll get that check in the mail in the morning! :lol:" I assume he meant backed child support, or something? Haha.

Also, I was leaving the local Harris Teeter when 2 guys in their early to mid twenties (who were loitering outside) noticed my sidearm.

Guy: "I see you're carrying...what kind?"
Me: "It's a 1911."
Guy: "I know, but what make? I mean, which company manufactured it?"

I thought he might ACTUALLY be knowledgeable about firearms and wanted to chat, from that statement..

Me: "It's a Springfield GI."
Him: "Nice. Is it single, or double-action?"

...I was wrong. :lol:

Para's are made in NC, maybe he thinks all manufacturers make LDA 1911's. Orrrrr you could be right just the same.

BBGun

First time OC to a store

If you had read my first thread regarding restaurant confusion, you may had thought I disappeared. No, I've just been reading this thread and am almost 70 pages in.

So I didn't do the Wally Walk, but I did go to my local Food Lion. I only had to pick up 4 things, so here is my succinct report:

Open carried at Food Lion today in SE Raleigh. Before entering, I double-checked signage at the door... no smoking, no buying/selling food stamps... nothing about handguns.
No one said a word to me. It was pretty busy (around 6pm), lots of parents with children around. I had to go all the way across the store to the left-back. The uniformed Wake County corrections officer behind me in line didn't say a word to me, but he may have been too busy talking on his phone.

I was very happy with myself when I returned home. I did have a copy of the flyer in my back pocket in case I needed it.

Last edited:

nobama

If you had read my first thread regarding restaurant confusion, you may had thought I disappeared. No, I've just been reading this thread and am almost 70 pages in.

So I didn't do the Wally Walk, but I did go to my local Food Lion. I only had to pick up 4 things, so here is my succinct report:

Open carried at Food Lion today in SE Raleigh today. Before entering, I double-checked signage at the door... no smoking, no buying/selling food stamps... nothing about handguns.
No one said a word to me. It was pretty busy (around 6pm), lots of parents with children around. I had to go all the way across the store to the left-back. The uniformed Wake County corrections officer behind me in line didn't say a word to me, but he may have been too busy talking on his phone.

I was very happy with myself when I returned home. I did have a copy of the flyer in my back pocket in case I needed it.
Good for you!! You will learn that its hardly taboo.

wcbhoy

First post to this thread, and possibly anywhere on here. More of a sighting than an
experience. But I'm going for the unicorn here...

What i believe i glanced as an M&P, open carried, in Durham, at a yoga studio.

Didn't really have time for more than that, it was changeover between classes; i was
leaving she was signing in and still in street clothes.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First post to this thread, and possibly anywhere on here. More of a sighting than an
experience. But I'm going for the unicorn here...

What i believe i glanced as an M&P, open carried, in Durham, at a yoga studio.

Didn't really have time for more than that, it was changeover between classes; i was
leaving she was signing in and still in street clothes.
Three years since registering - taking things carefully I presume. :)

Good first post.

Now come on out and meet some of the people. Think you'll like what you find.

solus

just another uneventful OC'g morning at my trusted auto repair facilities (dean's suspension & auto tech) where besides discussing the ailments of my vehicle, we chatted about handguns for over an hour, including being shown a .475 wildey...call me impressed!!

ipse

BBGun

I've been wearing quite uneventfully driving to and staying in Boone.

Had my first gun comment today as I stood outside of the Food Lion near my house. A guy was walking out while talking on a cell phone and said: "There's a guy out here with a pistol on his hip. The man ain't playin'."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk