• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

solus

cdt cox, thanks for the kind perspective, but like your impromptu interjection, it provides purpose to my life...

anything else you wish me to change?

ipse

Last edited:

The Truth

WTH does ipse mean anyway?

OC'd all down I-85 on my way through NC to SC. Bojangles, a couple gas stations. Never an issue. Good job, NC - except for your silly requirement to display my pistol in my vehicle. Unnecessary handling of my pistol is not appreciated. (one on my hip, one in the glovebox except in NC and SC)

WalkingWolf

There is no requirement to display your firearm in NC. You just cannot conceal it without a permit. NC has no laws as to display in a vehicle.

INAL but unless you run across a rouge LEO you should be fine with carrying the same in the vehicle as on foot.

The Truth

There is no requirement to display your firearm in NC. You just cannot conceal it without a permit. NC has no laws as to display in a vehicle.

INAL but unless you run across a rouge LEO you should be fine with carrying the same in the vehicle as on foot.

Note where I said I had one on my hip and one in the glovebox in VA, but once I cross into NC I may not CC in the truck. Wouldn't that mean I have to display AKA take it out of the glovebox?

I feel so stupid if this is not true.

WalkingWolf

Note where I said I had one on my hip and one in the glovebox in VA, but once I cross into NC I may not CC in the truck. Wouldn't that mean I have to display AKA take it out of the glovebox?

I feel so stupid if this is not true.

Not if your glove box is locked. But make sure that insurance and registration are outside the glove box. Once you unlock the glovebox to get papers the gun becomes concealed. But I never carry those papers in the glovebox, they are clipped to the visor. It is just much safer that way.

The Truth

Not if your glove box is locked. But make sure that insurance and registration are outside the glove box. Once you unlock the glovebox to get papers the gun becomes concealed. But I never carry those papers in the glovebox, they are clipped to the visor. It is just much safer that way.

Well I keep my glovebox unlocked, although I do keep important papers on the visor as well. So, I did it right. I'd rather have access to the pistol than have to lock it in a glovebox.

.40 S&W on hip, .460 Rowland on the seat. Never know when artillery is needed.

Does NC say that I can conceal in my truck as long as it's not "on or about my person?" AKA if it's in the cargo area of a Jeep Cherokee, I can't reach it, so it's cool to conceal it?

WalkingWolf

NC does not have a statute on concealing in a vehicle, but general opinion is that is if the gun is in reach and under a seat or clothing or other objects it is concealed. Personally I do not like leaving a gun laying on the seat, as it will go flying in hard braking. But when I was carrying revolvers I carried two guns on my belt.

tiggy1190

They were very vocal in their approval as to how I handled it. The detective introduced himself when he came to my house the next day, and immediately stated he was not going to tell me I did wrong. He said he wouldve closed the case immediately, but was forced by the higher ups to make sure I wasn't a nut with a gun.

SD contracted me yesterday, and let me know the case had been closed, and I was clear of all wrong doing. I gotta go to the lock up room today, and get my weapon back.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
SD contracted me yesterday, and let me know the case had been closed, and I was clear of all wrong doing. I gotta go to the lock up room today, and get my weapon back.

Will there possibly be a civil suit? That's a good way to drive home points for the good guys and get compensation for your suffering.