• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

WalkingWolf

I'm visiting a relative in the state for a bit. I've OC'd some although haven't visited much yet other than some gun shops and a Jersey Mike's near Mebane / Burlington ... oh and a Dairi-O northwest of Winston-Salem. Going to Carolina Gunrunners now and will grab lunch after. Dunno if the Raleigh folks will freak out but hopefully not.

Nope should be no problem in Raleigh, I have OC'd both in Raleigh and Cary, but that was about ten years ago. Too many Yankees up there I hardly go there anymore. Some people did have problems in Cary years ago, but I didn't. I guess because I am so ugly people don't notice my guns.

solus

I'm visiting a relative in the state for a bit. I've OC'd some although haven't visited much yet other than some gun shops and a Jersey Mike's near Mebane / Burlington ... oh and a Dairi-O northwest of Winston-Salem. Going to Carolina Gunrunners now and will grab lunch after. Dunno if the Raleigh folks will freak out but hopefully not.

well welcome to the tarheel state...glad you escaped to a civilized (for the most part anyway) OC state.

i see you are visiting and attending to the higher class joints in the state but if in Raleigh (garner actually) you might enjoy lawman's guns and right up the road is personal defense & hand gun...both rite friendly places. depending where you will be roaming, but if you come smidgen (being relative) further east, hollar via pm with 24 hours notice and lets grab a bite.

ipse

SpaceCase721

New to OC in NC

I started OC'g about a week ago. I've gone to Food Lion, 3 or 4 different gas stations and Wal-Mart

I had one lady walk up to me in WM the other day and say " You've got guts"
I asked her what she meant and she said "carrying that gun around like that. I CC and would never OC"
I responded, "Well ma'am, that's your right, as this is mine"

Other than that I've had no other incidents.

solus

welcome SC, what part of the tarheel start are you located so the opportunity exists to extend an invitation to say hello over a coffee/chai/bite to eat.

ipse

papa bear

I was doing so.e work in Madison, NC, and as I was going down a road, I saw a slim young woman standing in a driveway. She was definitely carrying open. Look like a retention holster.

She was dressed in regular clothes, so I don't know if she was LE or not. I was tempted to stop and ask but I had work to do

solus

I live in Willow Spring...Southern Wake Co

outstanding, perhaps tag up in one of the local firearm's stores nearby as i toddle up to Garner's Protection, Lawman's, Gander, or the newly anticipated Cabelas :)banana:) etc., gun stores quite regularly, tho not down to F/V's one gun store cuz i got thrown out couple of years ago for interceding in a salesman's pitch to sell an obviously inappropriate firearm to a female customer. however, I am sure with the passage of time i could walk in again if that is closer.

your call i am normally available with 24 notice. thanks for sharing...

ipse

dmatting

Dropped the shitzhu off at the dog groomer's in Creedmore this morning. They didn't care a whit about my sidearm. They also weren't bothered by puddle the dog left on their counter...

Last edited:

KainVictus

@Dmatting: Good to know they have their priorities in check :p

@the rest of the crew from round these parts: Long time no see everyone. Been away for a while haven't been able to carry too much but I still get the occasional odd OC in once in a while. Hope everyone is well. I see the "experience reports" page had a stint in the "lets chat about random crap that should probably be in a different thread" catagory. :p

razor_baghdad

Dropped the shitzhu off at the dog groomer's in Creedmore this morning. They didn't care a whit about my sidearm. They also weren't bothered by puddle the dog left on their counter...

Laughed out loud at this. I'm an OC regular at Petsmart Skibo Rd Fay and my dog is a "marker".

solus

btw, welcome back from where ever you've been...:eek: serving (don't want you to have to invoke if i tell ya, i have to shoot your tired arse mentality)

hollar when you and ron wish to say hello over a coffee/chai or after leaving the equipment in the vehicle ~ a pint, or two!

thanks for your service

ipse

Last edited:

mdak06

Just an FYI to all, I didn't encounter any OC-related incidents in my time down there (I left a week ago but just got back around to posting here). AFAIK I didn't get any crazy stares from anyone, but who knows.

solus - sorry I didn't have time to make it out your way - I'll try to next time I'm in the state. I appreciate the offer.

By the way ... what's the deal in Chapel Hill? There's a minimum length requirement for OC? Or is it banned? I wasn't sure what the story was there so I refrained from OCing in that town.

BlowMonkey5

OC'ed in Bojangles on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh over the weekend. I got the "bug-eyes" from a rent a cop sitting by the door when I walked in. I just smiled and said "good morning" and kept on walking. He finally stammered "morning" as I strolled past. The whole time I was eating, I could see him try to sneak a peek without me knowing. However, I could see him clearly in the reflection in the windows. :rolleyes: I guess he had gun envy:lol:
l

bc.cruiser

Just an FYI to all, I didn't encounter any OC-related incidents in my time down there (I left a week ago but just got back around to posting here). AFAIK I didn't get any crazy stares from anyone, but who knows.

solus - sorry I didn't have time to make it out your way - I'll try to next time I'm in the state. I appreciate the offer.

By the way ... what's the deal in Chapel Hill? There's a minimum length requirement for OC? Or is it banned? I wasn't sure what the story was there so I refrained from OCing in that town.

The minimum length is measured from muzzle, back along the top and down the backstrap to the heel. It would take a very small pistol to be under 6". I have not seen this in Chapel Hill's ordinances.

Chapel Hill ordinances (excerpted)
Sec. 11-15. - Prohibition on possession of weapons on town property.
No person shall carry, possess or use any firearm or other dangerous weapon within any town-owned building and their appurtenant premises, in any town-owned building that is leased by the town for town purposes or upon any municipal recreational facility.

Sec. 11-15.1. - Posting of signs prohibiting possession of concealed handguns on town buildings, appurtenant premises, and recreational facilities.

Sec. 11-16. - Prohibition on possession of weapons on public streets temporarily closed to regular traffic for street fairs and other special events.
No person shall carry, possess or use any firearm or other dangerous weapon within any public right-of-way or street while such right-of-way or street is temporarily closed for a street fair, concert, art display, bicycle race or other special event. This section shall not apply to law enforcement or other government personnel acting within the scope of their employment. This section shall not apply to any person who obtains a permit to carry a weapon at such an event from the Chapel Hill Police Department where the carrying of such weapon is part of the display, program or event for which the street or right-of-way is temporarily closed.

Violation of this section shall be a misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisonment for not more than thirty (30) days.

Sec 12-3:
(m) No person shall openly carry or use any firearm or other dangerous weapon within any town owned park, greenway or open space area.

Sec. 12-4. - Penalty for violation of section 12-3.
Each violation of the provisions of section 12-3 shall be a misdemeanor and be subject to a fine of five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisonment for not more than thirty (30) days; except, however, that a violation of section 12-3(d.1) and section 12-3(w) shall be subject to the penalty as provided in section 21-38(e) of this Code.

Last edited:

dmatting

The prohibition on open carry of "small handguns" is found in 11-134:
Code:
Sec. 11-134. - Prohibition on display of small handguns.

(a) No person shall display, on any street, sidewalk, alley or other public property any handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed.

(b) For purposes of this article, the term "handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed" shall mean any handgun or other firearm with an overall length of less than six (6) inches; provided, however, that in the case of a handgun or firearm that does not have a handgrip, this term shall mean any such handgun or firearm with an overall length of less than eight (8) inches.

(c) For purposes of this article, the length of a handgun shall be determined as follows:

(1) As the length of a line drawn from the tip of the barrel of the handgun along the length of the barrel to the point where that line intersects with a perpendicular line drawn up from the point on the back of the handgrip farthest from the tip of the barrel; or,
   (2) If the length of the handgun measured along the barrel extends back beyond the point where the lines described in (c)(1) above intersect, the length shall be determined by the length of the gun measured straight back from the tip of the barrel for the full length of the gun; or
   (3) If the handgun does not have a handgrip, the length shall be determined by measuring the overall length of the weapon by a straight line connecting the tip of the barrel to the point farthest away from the tip of the barrel.

(d) This section shall not apply to persons authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their duties.

The minimum length is measured from muzzle, back along the top and down the backstrap to the heel. It would take a very small pistol to be under 6". I have not seen this in Chapel Hill's ordinances.

Chapel Hill ordinances (excerpted)
Sec. 11-15. - Prohibition on possession of weapons on town property.
No person shall carry, possess or use any firearm or other dangerous weapon within any town-owned building and their appurtenant premises, in any town-owned building that is leased by the town for town purposes or upon any municipal recreational facility.

Sec. 11-15.1. - Posting of signs prohibiting possession of concealed handguns on town buildings, appurtenant premises, and recreational facilities.

Sec. 11-16. - Prohibition on possession of weapons on public streets temporarily closed to regular traffic for street fairs and other special events.
No person shall carry, possess or use any firearm or other dangerous weapon within any public right-of-way or street while such right-of-way or street is temporarily closed for a street fair, concert, art display, bicycle race or other special event. This section shall not apply to law enforcement or other government personnel acting within the scope of their employment. This section shall not apply to any person who obtains a permit to carry a weapon at such an event from the Chapel Hill Police Department where the carrying of such weapon is part of the display, program or event for which the street or right-of-way is temporarily closed.

Violation of this section shall be a misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisonment for not more than thirty (30) days.

Sec 12-3:
(m) No person shall openly carry or use any firearm or other dangerous weapon within any town owned park, greenway or open space area.

Sec. 12-4. - Penalty for violation of section 12-3.
Each violation of the provisions of section 12-3 shall be a misdemeanor and be subject to a fine of five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisonment for not more than thirty (30) days; except, however, that a violation of section 12-3(d.1) and section 12-3(w) shall be subject to the penalty as provided in section 21-38(e) of this Code.