• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

KainVictus

Omg its been ages for me! Im back and i am officially out of the military and working a wonderful job! How are my old peeps on here?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
got a wild hair and decided to look into the hyperbole i have heard for the last several years which concerned the NC conceal carry training certificate expiring a year after training, even tho there is no expiration concept mentioned in 12NCAC 009f or the statutes.

they were kind enough to respond as i just received a note back from my DOJ query...NCGS 14-415 which addresses the CCH Permit program, states that once the certificate of completion is issued to the students the Sheriff’s Office is responsible for the processing the CCH Permit application, therefore it is up to the Sheriff’s Office whether or not to accept the certificate of completion.

sigh, the best laid plans...

ipse
What? Not so thinks I.

"...successfully complete a firearms training and safety course that has been designed by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Standards Commission...."
https://penderso.permitium.com/ccw/start

The course successfully completed > numbered certificate issued > evidence given to Sheriff's office = no latitude/wiggle room whether to accept it or not.

bc.cruiser

I think you are trying to make an issue of no basis. The references given do not put a time limit on the certificate nor does it give allowance to the sheriff office to deny an otherwise valid certificate. The law itself does not require the training to be local; note the word "any" in 14-415.12 (a)(4), third sentence.

bc.cruiser

And what does either of your latest two posts have to do with the validity of the CHP class certificate?

As far as your note of Cumberland county requiring a DD214, read 14-415.12(b)(7). It would appear the other counties you mention don't require proof of discharge characterization; maybe they are wrong. Information regarding the applicant's military status is also required under 14-415.14(a).

Somehow this OC experience thread got side-tracked to CC/CHP issues and you further cloud it by mixing in misleading information which relate only to the PPP (ie. "14 days" time frame).

How about we get back to OC experiences?

TWC office is posted so I did not go there. Wells Fargo is still OC friendly (my branch, anyway) so I still do business there.

Last edited:

nobama

The GF and I went to Cosco in Greensboro Sat afternoon, got told "cant let you in with that firearm". I told him I don't see a sign, then he says its in his rule book, I then asked if it was meant for employees only? He showed me and yes he was correct.I had to go leave it in the truck. I thought this might have been discussed before about Cosco, but wasn't sure.

solus

The GF and I went to Cosco in Greensboro Sat afternoon, got told "cant let you in with that firearm". I told him I don't see a sign, then he says its in his rule book, I then asked if it was meant for employees only? He showed me and yes he was correct.I had to go leave it in the truck. I thought this might have been discussed before about Cosco, but wasn't sure.

this has been discussed in numerous threads out here ( http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?130063-COSTCO-Corporate-Formally-Bans-Firearms)

their catch is cosco is a 'private' membership enterprise where you sign a contract to abide by their security clause...paraphrasing: we do not believe our members need to bring their firearms in...

why i shop at sam's and walmart exclusively!!

ipse

added: recording devices are not allowed either...

Last edited:

solus

... one of the People of WalMart, I KNEW I had seen him somewhere before.

The local - fifty miles away - WalMart shares the parking lot with Pick n' Save or some such. I sit in the X5 while Milady Wife shops at P n' S and marvel at the wildlife that crawls staggers slimes oozes in and out of WalMart.

perhaps you should put your attention back towards your Greek and other mythical reading pleasures while waiting in your Trabant until your partner returns from their shopping spree.

ipse

solus

toddled to barnes & noble in fayetteville this afternoon and as i was getting out of the vehicle, spied the nice pd vehicle parked by the door as well as a citizen in jeans and Tshirt, w/a 45 with, what appeared to be an expensive set of grips, purplish red color from a distance.

got inside, quick witted & humored sales lady showed me were i would find the subject matter i was seeking and left me to roam. as i looked over the magazines, i discovered who the police vehicle belonged to as he came rushing around the aisle, glanced at me, slightly hesitated, then briskly walked to the end turned and scanned the shelf. i walked back down the mag rack, then towards the front to pay where the nice officer hurried briskly to the front counter to right by the door and end of the counter trying very hard to look disinterested at the only customer at the registers.

paid, walked by him, and out the door!

ipse

bc.cruiser

While that particular Barnes and Noble store, and its employees, remain gun friendly, the night time outside security person is no longer allowed to carry.

" jeans and Tshirt, w/a 45 with, what appeared to be an expensive set of grips, purplish red color from a distance". Sounds like me and mine, but I was somewhere else.:D

Last edited:

solus

well enjoyed lunch at zakby's as i was leaving a young man who arrived OC'g...invited him to the forum to enjoy the camaraderie...

ipse

solus

Camadarie (sic)? Only between you and Grapeshot.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

truly...tho i do suppose it affords your post count to advance, kinda like the post you put in the Washington sub thread...

my mommy always said, if you don't have something to contribute ~ sit there and be quiet...

ipse

solus

standing in local lowes yesterday chatting with an acquaintance when a man in a bright red shirt screamed through the door and disappeared...

then standing in Sams getting a hot dog ~ best deal on the earth $1.50 dog & drink, a young man was standing in front of me carrying..

all and all a great day for OC in rural religious NC!

ipse

rogue66

Still carrying everyday in the GSO/HP/Burlington area and have yet to have anyone seem to notice.

Carried in Cracker Barrel in Lexington Saturday without a problem. I did go IWB, but was wearing a tucked in T-Shirt so it was in full view. I'm not sure of their policy and did not want to bring up the subject with anyone.

Went to the new Academy Sports in GSO today and walked around for an hour. Nice store and enjoyed talking with the young guys at the gun counter. Prices were higher then I'd hoped and it reminded me too much of F&S. I was hoping for some better deals. No problems with OC encountered.

I did pickup up a few boxes of 223 and the better half found a few shirts and we were out. No problems at all.

Gotta love this area

solus

ate breakfast at IHOP, visited lowes, then off to wally world where i saw a gentleman long reddish beard carrying what appeared to be a S&W shield in an uncle mike's hooked on to his nylon gym shorts...

i know he didn't see me per se.

only commentary was from a 6-yo boy in Wally who asked if that was a gun, and when i said yes, mother and child disappeared w/o another word ~ and no it wasn't my breath!!

ipse

Last edited:

moonie

Still carrying everyday in the GSO/HP/Burlington area and have yet to have anyone seem to notice.

Carried in Cracker Barrel in Lexington Saturday without a problem. I did go IWB, but was wearing a tucked in T-Shirt so it was in full view. I'm not sure of their policy and did not want to bring up the subject with anyone.

Went to the new Academy Sports in GSO today and walked around for an hour. Nice store and enjoyed talking with the young guys at the gun counter. Prices were higher then I'd hoped and it reminded me too much of F&S. I was hoping for some better deals. No problems with OC encountered.

I did pickup up a few boxes of 223 and the better half found a few shirts and we were out. No problems at all.

Gotta love this area

Cracker Barrel has been discussed before, as a company they are anti firearm, individual managers may not have an issue but the corporate stance is no firearms in their restaurants.

solus

off to the local shoe repair where i enjoyed a conversation w/the proprietor about the firearm on my hip...seems his father/family taught him to be deathly afraid of them, but by the end of the conversation he was willing to be shown the rudimentary aspects of gun safety, handling, as well as shooting a firearm in the near future.

then to arby's then DMV to wait in line to get some vehicle documents attended to, all while OC'g and yet nobody ran screaming into the streets as they saw me and my firearm!

all in all a good day!

ipse