• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

FlyBoy276

I was walking around the neighborhood yesterday evening when a young lady approaches from the opposite direction:

Her: "I know that's right!"
Me: :)

solus

Oh Bother...-(urban dictionary definition )

seems my favorite & closest McD's (13/117) has posted no weapons on their doors.

letter time to local owners to point out the obvious...sigh!!

on the plus side the deputy who was waiting for his breakfast was quite chatty and fulll of good cheer as we bantered about each others age...

ipse

Last edited:

tiggy1190

I must be in one of those parts in NC where everyone is a crotch watcher. I am asked on a daily basis about my side arm. I did have an odd encounter at a local Hardee's. Several employees were commenting about the ability to OC when the girl (heavy set black woman) taking my order boasted she can OC/CC because " I am Air Force Special Forces". I sighed, and said " here we go again". As an 11yr Army Vet, I encounter this often. Since when did the AF start infiltrating our FF resturaunts with Para Rescue?

solus

I must be in one of those parts in NC where everyone is a crotch watcher. I am asked on a daily basis about my side arm. I did have an odd encounter at a local Hardee's. Several employees were commenting about the ability to OC when the girl (heavy set black woman) taking my order boasted she can OC/CC because " I am Air Force Special Forces". I sighed, and said " here we go again". As an 11yr Army Vet, I encounter this often. Since when did the AF start infiltrating our FF resturaunts with Para Rescue?

you army punks believe anything your told dontcha...
(sent with a smile from a member of one of the other services) :p
you must have something for ppl to watch in your crotch as you just got hit on...

cuz sug, she'd just likes to be special to all the forces...

ipse

trailkiller91

over the weekend....OC'ed in Smithfield's BBQ in Knightdale (someone was heavy-handed with the vinegar) and Great Clips in Wake Forest...good times

I have often wondered about this, whenever I go to my favored barbershop I leave my handgun locked in my car. The way I see it once they put the barbers cape on you are no longer open carrying because at that point it is concealed, much the same as sitting in a car with it holstered. Can anyone elaborate on this?

ron73440

I have often wondered about this, whenever I go to my favored barbershop I leave my handgun locked in my car. The way I see it once they put the barbers cape on you are no longer open carrying because at that point it is concealed, much the same as sitting in a car with it holstered. Can anyone elaborate on this?

My wife usually cuts my hair, but on the rare occasions that I have gotten it done at a barber I just let the pistol be covered and never thought twice about it.

Also I drive my truck all the time with the pistol holstered at my waist. Been pulled over a couple of times, no issues.

Jamesm760

That is a very good question... I've never thought about it before but I would personally consider the cape covering the gun CCing.. The vehicle thing is different because it is only not visible depending on where the officer is standing, but the cape covering the gun is not visible at all. My sugestion would be to purchase a see through cape and gift it to your barber, or just take it in there for them to use while cutting your hair. Problem solved.

WalkingWolf

My wife usually cuts my hair, but on the rare occasions that I have gotten it done at a barber I just let the pistol be covered and never thought twice about it.

Also I drive my truck all the time with the pistol holstered at my waist. Been pulled over a couple of times, no issues.

Just never cut your hair, that is what I do.

Seriously if you fall down and your gun is in the dirt it cannot be seen, but you would not be arrested. Also sitting in a booth the gun cannot be seen but is still OC. Plus consider being on private property, and NOT the one who concealed the gun. I doubt they would charge the barber. Plus remember US v Black the police would have to have RAS to look under in the first place.

carolina guy

That is a very good question... I've never thought about it before but I would personally consider the cape covering the gun CCing.. The vehicle thing is different because it is only not visible depending on where the officer is standing, but the cape covering the gun is not visible at all. My sugestion would be to purchase a see through cape and gift it to your barber, or just take it in there for them to use while cutting your hair. Problem solved.

It is not completely covered since the LEO could look UP from the floor, if he is *that* curious. ;)

ron73440

Or, don't worry about it because there is no problem to solve.

Brian D.

Others have addressed the notion that you're worrying too much about this from a legalistic point of view. Meanwhile, you leave your gun where you can't get at it to save your life. Weigh those two considerations against each other.

solus

warning graphic image...

barber chair.jpg
(Umberto Anastasio ? - 1957) quote The brutal and violent head of the Mangano/Gambino family mob was brought down while in his barber’s chair. His bodyguard had conveniently taken a walk when two masked gunmen burst into the shop and opened fire on Anastasia. They continued to shoot until he collapsed to the floor dead, and then shot him point blank in the back of the head. It is believed that Larry and Joe Gallo carried out the murder under a contract from Don Vito Genovese. Anastasia’s wife maintained his innocence of any mob involvement or violence and wanted him to be remembered as a loving and devoted, churchgoing, husband and father. Yeah, right. unquote.

so of course, maintaining strict SA and vigilance as well as a competent bodyguard could also depend on your level of nefarious occupation wouldn't it?
(http://mentalfloss.com/article/28300/7-major-mafia-murders-warning-gruesome-photos)

ipse

Last edited:

The Truth

I always take my handgun from my hip and put it on the dashboard when stopped by cops (before they come to my door, of course). It can't be considered concealed on the dashboard.

IMO this is a horrible idea. You basically just admitted to brandishing.

Solus, is NC the same as VA in that OC on the person is OC in the car too? I was under the impression that this was the case. This would further invalidate the claim that it is a good idea to remove your pistol from its holster when pulled over.

WalkingWolf

Solus, is NC the same as VA in that OC on the person is OC in the car too? I was under the impression that this was the case. This would further invalidate the claim that it is a good idea to remove your pistol from its holster when pulled over.

There are no statutes either way, but generally yes. There are people who put the gun on the dash, and it can only be brandishing if you tell the officer you put the gun on the dash. Far as he knows it was there all the time. This is where KYBMS, comes into play.

solus

NO, not really. first we do not have brandishing in this neck of the woods.

second, as has been stated previously, ad nausm, on this subforum, NC has no specific regulatory statutes covering how to carry any un/loaded firearm in a vehicle. (see cite below: Section III D, pg 22) the AG's position is 'officer safety' is paramount. as such, laying the firearm on the seat or anywhere in plain sight is one perspective used. it could be perceived by the nice LE stopping you, if you firearm is on your hip, it is concealed and therefore you must immediately notify and proffer your CHP.

as professed in the past, when i leave my immediate area on road trips within NC and elsewhere, i maintain an open padded lockable (ace key'd) box on the front seat with the gun laying in it and if stopped, immediately close the lid while rolling to a stop. key is not maintained in the cab, therefore, i have no immediate access to it, thus assuring 'officer safety' during my hopefully short encounter with the nice LE. my understanding from paid legal advice is the box is exempt from heller and requires a warrant per se.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

hope that clarified vice muddied the conversation. hollar if not...

ipse