• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

HPmatt

Glad she made it out of the hell-hole that Bamster and Biden allowed that country to turn into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solus

well a new experience for me...was at the McD on outskirts of town on w-bound 70, just ordered and was trying to back away from the counter, when someone touched me on the upper arm above my holster. i jerked away, started to swing violently around when i heard say as i turning around:

thanks for carrying your firearm today!!

as i stared at a short elderly, white haired gentleman who was exhibiting the classic Cheshire grin at me. once i got my composure back, i noticed he wasn't OC'g so quietly asked where his was...he patted his pocket. he wouldn't join me for lunch, but came up afterwards and we exchanged business cards. and he went on his way after being told about the forum.

after he left the couple sitting off to the side from loudly started talking about trump's recent comments about gun-free zones being the issue not gun control...15 minutes later we shook hands and they stated they have their CHPs but do not carry, for now...after our conversation they stated they understood the need and would be in the future...again forum addy provided.

ipse

solus

well i thought the McD was the hilite of the week, but last night at 1115ish, house closed up and completely dark, i'm in the back of the house running in normal attire ~ underwear only mode, when there was a loud banging at the front door...(added for clarity...to get to my front door you have to open a gate through the fence 7 feet away from front door which doesn't have a doorbell)

grabbed the firearm, peeked out the window couldn't see anything...got by the side of the door, flipped on the light, pointed my firearm midsection, jerked the front door only open, and screamed who is it?

i discovered my neighbour, eyes open wide due to the bright porch light looking only at my firearm pointed at him, stated in in a jerky voice...uh do you have jumper cables?

lowered the firearm, and explained sorry, no i have AAA...and bid him good night, shutting the door in his face.

now why on earth would he do a stupid move like that at that hour when it is obvious, with the house completely dark & the occupants have turned in is beyond me...every neighbor on the cul de sac have been given my fone number not sure why he didn't call.

dumb *hit...i believe his underwear was damp as he walked away...

ipse

now the dogs on the other hand were told no treats for a week for not keying on someone banging on the door. darn things bark at the bloody birds outside chirping, but not someone banging on the door in the middle of the night...really ~ good dogs are hard to find these days!!

Last edited:

ron73440

Kicked out of Havelock Chili Fest!

I haven't posted here lately, OC in my neck of the woods has been spectacularly uneventful.

Went to the Havelock Chili Fest on Sat, ate some good chili and walked around for a while. I think we were there for an hour, but as we were leaving a pair of Havelock cops came over to me. Only one cop did all the talking.

Cop: You can't be armed here.
Me: Why not?
C:It's illegal.
M: No it's not.
C:This is a festival.
M:So?
C:You can't carry here, not even concealed, just like a place that charges admission, or a parade.

I jokingly point to their pistols and say "but you're carrying"
C: You're just a citizen.
M:This isn't a parade or demonstration, so it's legal
C: No it isn't and you can either cooperate or...
He shrugged his shoulders a little and gave me a look. He didn't say it, but I knew what he meant. I couldn't keep my big mouth shut though.
M: I carried here last year, I also carry at the seafood fest and mum fest, cops definitely saw me.
C: if they didn't stop you they are wrong, are you going to put the weapon in your vehicle or not?
M: (deciding not being arrested) We were leaving anyway.

I just started walking towards the parking lot and they didn't say anything else. My wife says I need to work on my "angry face", and I know I talked a little more than I should have, but at least they didn't try to ID or disarm me.

I've looked and can't find anything that says it's illegal and think if they truly knew it was then they'd have arrested me.

Freedom is awesome.

solus

ron, send the chief a tersely worded note about his officer's behaviour and he might wish to looking to assuring DoJ's training as well as his own agency's training practices to assure his officers do not embarrass him that much again because you have put it on social media and everyone is laughing at his agency as country bumpkins!!

ha ha ha...now the social media comment is truthful.

ipse

solus

another uneventful OC'g adventure day in RREastern NC...

tho at local WWorld while standing at the counter someone popped off behind me in a really loud voice...hey are you LEnforcement? turned responded- NO!; same loud voice - ah security? turned again - NO!
at which point the counter person popped up and said 'he isn't and doesn't need a permit!!' so as i walked toward the 30ish young man, who started to back up, i reiterated in a calm voice this state doesn't need a permit to OC and if you are eligible to own a firearm you can OC w/o a permit.

then at the check out an elderly gentleman in front of me popped off with a "good for you' as he looked at my firearm & further stating 'mine is in my pocket'. he continued by stating when he was in the military he learned only a 45 had the appropriate stopping power and ppl who didn't carry one of those were something unrepeatable on a family forum. believe it or not i couldn't get in a word edgewise and he chatted away, al the while paying then sauntered out to the parking lot. he timed it so he passed me walking out the door said good talking to ya and i thanked him for his service which got a big smile.

like i said...uneventful...oh visited my dentist also and the nice receptionist handed me her PD firearm asking if i could fix it and clean it for her since her Coastie partner is in VA. have to look at it...if i can't figure out the problem will take it to my gunsmith to look at...

ipse

Ken56

Been in the Asheville area the past couple days enjoying the rainy weather and local cuisine. Been 2 times to the Moose café, both OC with no word said to me pro or con. Took a day drive down to Saluda and had lunch at Wards grill. OC there too and again, nothing said to me about it. Busy there too. Good food, if you are in the area do stop in. Also been in a few antique shops along the way with no issues at all.

solus

well, went and checked on my pride and joy which was getting it's front joints replaced and the owner (good olde boy) who has engaged in conversations about firearms over the last several years asked if i had seen this caliber before, as he grinned broadly from ear to ear. he handed me an olde original cardboard box with French on one long side and English on the other long side. on top was in big numerals .455!

can honestly say i have never seen this caliber of ammo before and as we talked i 'casually' (read as darn i was hoping i could see the bloody firearm) asked if he could bring the firearm in so i could see what this ammo worked with...smile got broader as he ran to his vehicle and got this: 151028 1914 new service.jpg

after we removed the ammo from the revolver, i took the s/n and this evening discovered it is a Colt 1914 New Service 455 eley ~ a British/Canadian firearm used during the Great War.

only taken 3+ years and i am being quietly shown the family treasures ~ his father purchased it in Canada late '50s/early '60s while hunting up there. the gentleman felt it might only be from the mid fifties...i can't wait to see his smile tomorrow when i show him the documentation on it's actually age. apparently they are quite plentiful and it is only worth about 1.0-1.5 k.

ipse

solus

did a dump run to Wayne cty's main drop off point and encountered an overseer of the 'bins', a gentleman who wasn't shocked nor scared of my sidearm. being slow, we engaged in conversation and he is now seriously contemplating OC'g ~ once he gets a handgun! i offered to provide insight on a few things to aid his search and he was quite enthused and couldn't wait to tell his darling partner about the encounter so she can also see about getting one. seems they have been thinking about it for a couple of months after the unrest amongst local groups began earlier this year.

we shall see if he follows through.

ipse, ThD

bc.cruiser

Cruising through WalMart this afternoon, confirming the absence of .22 ammo, I was thanked for carrying (5" 1911) by a fellow in a powered cart. I laughed and said he should get a pintle mount on his cart. He replied there was a Glock in residence, it just wasn't obvious.:cool:

Supper at Smithfield's; nobody seemed concerned, let alone afraid.

325rto

Been carrying in the local Hope Mills/Fayetteville area. Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Walmart. Working on Bragg and picking daughters up after school, on school property, obviously has placed restrictions on where carry is allowed.

bc.cruiser

Rode the Beemer K-bike to Lowe's, OCing the 1858 Remy .44. I wore it cross-draw on a belt outside my jacket; comfy, secure, and easy to reposition.
Inside, a man working the tool section commented that my choice of cross-draw was unusual, so I explained why. He likes to see people carry and wished employees could. Turns out his carry gun is a Ruger Security Six of which he has renewed and upgraded the finish. Back out at the bike I realized I had left my sunglasses and part of my intended purchase in the hardware section. On the way a man called from behind asking if the gun was a Colt. So I 'splained what it was; he liked it. In line again at the cashier another man asked if I was after bear. I replied that I have occasionally done dumb things, but not stupid things.

Several contacts with decent conversation, a couple of laughs, and nobody got hurt.:D

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Picked up some last minute shopping in Wally World tonight. Met a few nice folks that commented on my GP100. One of those was a fellow OCer with a Springfield 1911, and is now a new member of OCDO. I will let him introduce himself when he is ready.

From Wally Word we went to Verizon, my phone has been shutting itself off all by itself, turns out somehow it got water damage. Left with a new waterproof phone, and our monthly service plan actually went down. The pretty girl asked me some questions on my rig, which I am always happy to converse, and take compliments. Of course it is ego breaking that my gun gets all the compliments.

BC I have not carried my Remy in a very long time. I will have to let it out of the safe one of these days.

Last edited:

papa bear

Met a follow open carrier as I was competing out of Robby's surplus, an everything store, here in Mayberry. Spoke for a couple of minutes. Told him about this site hope he joins

A couple of days later. A couple stopped me in front of Wally world. Asking about the laws in NC. They were from LA. They were surprised you did not need your government permission to carry a gun.

Wasn't sure about LA laws. Told the about his site and invited them to look it up