• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

solus

neighbours broke out the inflatable holiday decorations (read yippie) and chatting as they tried to get the decorations to hold air.

while i knew they were aware i OC'd, i was surprised when out of the blue during our conversation, they volunteered how surprised they have been to see 'so many people caring firearms in the last couple of weeks' while they have been out shopping.

i just smiled and stated glad to see the rural, religious, eastern NC citizens were finally getting a clue.

ipse

solus

a couple of days after flooding from Raleigh opening the flood gates abated, the neighbour came down the street to talk with representative putting the new roof on my home. been in the area awhile and yet never personally interacted with them, waved at their boys playing basketball in the street as we drove by, but that was about it!

rep wasnt there only workers, so we chatted, bout myrid of things and conversation finally floated to..."uh, why are you carrying that gun (h&k usp 9 - work around the house carry) openly?" neighbour seem quite interested in open carry and we ended with ~ if you want to go to the range...hollar!

wed nite knock at the door and there stands the neighbour, with his 15yo son and daughter. he came to the point and asked when we could shooting and if i would/could include his son? sure! as we are discussing schedules to meet, then it was stated, seeing the son is on school holiday, i was asked about just showing & educating his son about handgun safety.

sure was my response, which was met with a huge smile from his son. dad signed an ad hoc permission slip stating his minor child had parental blessing and we arranged to meet Friday for several hours covering safety, handling, handgun types, proper shooting tecniques, etc.

for his first time the young man, at 10 yards, did exemplary well with saucer sized groupings w/multiple firearms of different calibers >9mm.

i think i will see him again over the holidays!

a young convert for life created...

ipse

Last edited:

solus

Resized_Screenshot_20161224-155232.jpg

individual seen in raleigh wally world sporting handguns on both hips, with obvious bulges on both ankles...and knife klip sticking out of their pocket...

brings to mind the quip...whatcha afraid of as you sport'g all those guns...."nuthin, unless you know of a new threat?"

ipse

solus

just another day in paradise as i ran through the gauntlet getting the beater (vehicle!!!) inspected, then off to stand in line at the local dmv to get the new vehicle registration...not a soul blinked nor comment about the sidearm on my hip.

ipse

bc.cruiser

Went to the DMV office in Spring Lake today. They have expanded the office by taking over space vacated next door. No increase in the number of employees, but the good news, so far, is that the notice of "No guns allowed" is gone. I decided not to ask.

solus

Went to the DMV office in Spring Lake today. They have expanded the office by taking over space vacated next door. No increase in the number of employees, but the good news, so far, is that the notice of "No guns allowed" is gone. I decided not to ask.

glad to hear they lost the sign...

ipse

eric1668

Nashville, NC

OC'd for the first time on Friday. Murphy gas station and Wal Mart, no problem. Also Food Lion on 97. No problem there either.

solus

eric, what took you so long in exercising that opportunity?

welcome to the forum

ipse

drsysadmin

Welcome Eric! Glad to have another OC'er out there. Every one of us is an ambassador just by minding our own business and exercising our rights!

j.clay507

Me and my wife just got pistols Monday night. I went with the Glock 19 gen4 and she got the Glock 26 gen4. I live in Greensboro and have seen other people open carry but have never done so until yesterday and today. I carried in my local Harris Teeter with no problems. I also carried in Walmart with no issues. Being my first time I was nervous and I felt like everyone was looking at me but no one said anything to me. Overall a great first experience and I'm excited to be carrying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk