• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Blakeyon2asd

I live in Greensboro near the Colosseum bad side of town close to west Florida street. My house is on a dead end road and at the end of my road is Peck Elementary school so I have to walk by it when I go to walk my dog. I always stay on the other side of the road and I never go walking during school hours and I've never had any problems I communicate with people when I see them so they know I'm a friendly so to speak. I often talk to a lady who lives on the same road the school is on who does crime scene investigations and stuff for GPD most. She's completely cool with me and understands why I carry most of the time we talk she has just gotten off work and has a gun also. But I digress I was walking my dog yesterday (mind you I've been doing this since I was 18) and all of the sudden a women bust out of her house yelling "he got a gun I'm calling the cops I'm calling the cops that's illegal you cantst be doing that mister". This is the first time I've ever had any negative reaction out of anyone in my neighborhood most people know me and think it's cool that I carry a gun or just don't care. I've even had a conversation with a man who brought up the fact that if someone sees me walking with a gun they are less likely to commit crimes or do anything around the school which is true I guess. It was a pretty awkward situation so I didn't say anything to the women even though she was yelling profanities at me I just kept walking and acted like I didn't hear her. I thought about calling the cops and letting them know what was going on so they didn't show up and draw guns in my face because I have no clue what she said I was doing to them. I ended up not calling and I just walked back home in my normal route but I walked a little slower so if they were called they could make contact with me and know that wasn't doing anything wrong. So it took me about five minutes longer to get home than it normally does I never heard any sirens or anything. All in all it's was a pretty bad experience and I hope when I walk my dog this afternoon that she will have calmed down. I wont stop doing what I've been doing for so long just because it offends her and to me my safety is more important than her piece of mind. It may come off as inconsiderate but I believe I have as much right to carry as she does to complain.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Blakeyon2asd

Presume you are aware of the Gun Free School Zone Act and therefore have a permit. The school not being open has nothing to do with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Yes I'm aware of the law but I'm also permitted by law to carry a firearm on me as I do have my CWP and I'm also in an area that makes it difficult to travel without going into another school zone so I don't see any reason as to why I can't carry. By the way the lady that came out of her house was well over 1000 feet I just added that I carry there because I wanted everyone to understand the details of how I was carrying and do carry. Unless I'm missing something or not understanding of something then I'm not breaking any laws by walking down the street in which I have no other ways to travel because of the location of the school.

solus

blake, you did well to walk away without engaging the woman, but imho you should have put in a call to get the event on record and for your story to be there first. especially if something occurs in the future when you walk by, your reports then shows a pattern of harrassment towards you by this female.

keep on walking though and good job.

ipse

Blakeyon2asd

Thanks my main concern was her calling and saying that I was doing something I wasn't. I'm typically a cool headed person and prefer to just walk away whenever possible. It seems that she just wanted to create a scene so I just didn't give her any attention. When I went walking today someone was outside of the house playing basket ball but I just said hey in which I didn't get a reply but I just kept on walking. Maybe they will come around to me carrying hopefully not via tying up police time just to find out I'm not doing anything wrong. I don't hold anything against them as they probably just don't know the law or are only used to seeing the Greensboro thugs around here carry guns to commit crimes. But who knows hopefully we can have a conversation one day and come to an understanding that I'm just a guy walking his dog and don't mean any harm to anyone.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Presume you are aware of the Gun Free School Zone Act and therefore have a permit. The school not being open has nothing to do with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fre...es_Act_of_1990
Yes I'm aware of the law but I'm also permitted by law to carry a firearm on me as I do have my CWP and I'm also in an area that makes it difficult to travel without going into another school zone so I don't see any reason as to why I can't carry. By the way the lady that came out of her house was well over 1000 feet I just added that I carry there because I wanted everyone to understand the details of how I was carrying and do carry. Unless I'm missing something or not understanding of something then I'm not breaking any laws by walking down the street in which I have no other ways to travel because of the location of the school.
What makes it legal is the fact that you do have a permit issued by your state. W/O a permit, your actions would be illegal - though this is seldom prosecuted as a primary offense.

Blakeyon2asd

What makes it legal is the fact that you do have a permit issued by your state. W/O a permit, your actions would be illegal - though this is seldom prosecuted as a primary offense.

Yeah but from what I understand even if you don't the police at a local level don't have the authority to enforce the law. I think a lot of it is because they are subject to it also even on duty law enforcement that isn't an SRO just setting in the parking lot would be subject to the law. Honestly even when I didn't have my CWP I didn't see it as a problem nor did any of the police officers that drove by and saw me. Like you said unless you're doing something else or are on school property it's a hard law to convict anyone of breaking. You just can't tell people what they can and can't do because they live near a school. Especially when the law that tries to prevent it is border line unconstitutional. To get a conviction requires some type of aggravating factor.

solus

carried at the wayne county dump sat, the olde gentleman working w/his spit stained beard asked what i was carrying, and we discussed firearms and he again seemed surprised it was lawful in the county and state. he went away with a different perspective about open carry.

ipse

Jamesm760

I had my first encounter with an anti gun person today.

Was at goodwill and a guy that was standing behind me in line asked if I needed a permit. I told him none is needed to OC. Before you know it he was saying that it was very easy for someone to come up behind me and take my gun. I told him that I am always aware of my surroundings and I am wearing a retention holster so it wouldn't be easy to simply come up behind me and take my gun. He said that if he came from the other side of where the gun was he could take it away, I asked him how many seconds he thought it would take for me to see what was going on and do something about the situation. He said "what if I kicked you in the back of the leg, that would give me the extra seconds I needed, thats why I would carry concealed if I had a weapon." I said yea well thats why you train for situations that my present themselves. I then said "Besides, you don't know if there is one in the chamber, you also don't know if I am carrying a back up concealed. The thing is, unless you can predict the future, you don't know if OC or CC is going to be better." He thought about it. Then I said, also conceal carrying requires a permission slip, open carry is a right, what happens if they take your permission card away? guess you would have to begin OCing or not carrying at all. He said, carrying a firearm is not a right protected by the constitution...( at this point I was like :banghead:) He said that only people with in a well regulated militia are covered by the second amendment. I told him I guess if that is your interpretation of the 2nd A. Too bad we can't go back in time to have it clarified for us... Conversation was longer and more interesting but that was pretty much it. Oh yea he also said that if an officer came up to him and he was OCing that he would simply give his sidearm to the officer if he requested it... I told him there is no way I am giving anyone my loaded firearm. The more it gets handled the more chance there is of a ND. No reason for anyone to handle my loaded firearm. What if the officer makes my gun go off while he is attempting to unholster it and shoots me? You think a "sorry" is going to cut it? he was nice though, I payed for my items and told him to have a nice day.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was at goodwill and a guy that was standing behind me in line asked if I needed a permit. I told him none is needed to OC. Before you know it he was saying that it was very easy for someone to come up behind me and take my gun. I told him that I am always aware of my surroundings and I am wearing a retention holster so it wouldn't be easy to simply come up behind me and take my gun. He said that if he came from the other side of where the gun was he could take it away, I asked him how many seconds he thought it would take for me to see what was going on and do something about the situation. He said "what if I kicked you in the back of the leg, that would give me the extra seconds I needed, thats why I would carry concealed if I had a weapon." I said yea well thats why you train for situations that my present themselves. I then said "Besides, you don't know if there is one in the chamber, you also don't know if I am carrying a back up concealed. The thing is, unless you can predict the future, you don't know if OC or CC is going to be better." He thought about it. Then I said, also conceal carrying requires a permission slip, open carry is a right, what happens if they take your permission card away? guess you would have to begin OCing or not carrying at all. He said, carrying a firearm is not a right protected by the constitution...( at this point I was like :banghead:) He said that only people with in a well regulated militia are covered by the second amendment. I told him I guess if that is your interpretation of the 2nd A. Too bad we can't go back in time to have it clarified for us... Conversation was longer and more interesting but that was pretty much it. Oh yea he also said that if an officer came up to him and he was OCing that he would simply give his sidearm to the officer if he requested it... I told him there is no way I am giving anyone my loaded firearm. The more it gets handled the more chance there is of a ND. No reason for anyone to handle my loaded firearm. What if the officer makes my gun go off while he is attempting to unholster it and shoots me? You think a "sorry" is going to cut it? he was nice though, I payed for my items and told him to have a nice day.

The 4th Federal Circuit Court has said that OC where legal is not RAS to stop - my reply is "No thank you" and I keep walking.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?112888-4th-Circuit-rules-OC-not-RAS-to-stop

Jamesm760

"... but what if ... if ... if?? The road to Hell is paved with what-ifs.

I agree... people like that always seem to want to test you on random quickly made up BS scenarios. Quick way to stop it is by saying that no one can tell the future so until the situation presents itself, you don't know what is going to happen. What if godzilla and king kong suddenly spawn and try to rob you? :eek:

FlyBoy276

Was at goodwill...

Both Goodwill and The Salvation Army are anti-gun. I'm surprised you found a store without a gunbuster or verbiage on the door. I OCed in to the Goodwill off Maynard Rd in Cary, since they had a sign on the door banning CC, not OC. The confused manager told me that she "wasn't asking me to leave, but wanted to know if I didn't mind leaving." She didn't even say someone came up to her saying they were afraid, she said someone came to her and made it known that I was carrying, and she could "sense they might have been scared." I went back at a later time, and they got rid of the "no concealed weapons" sign and put up a "no weapons" sign. Every one I have been to in the Triangle now has this message on the door.

When I was at the SA store on Tryon Rd in Raleigh, a manager came up and asked if I was an officer, and I asked why he was inquiring. He replied that they only allow officers to OC in the store. I asked if this was his rule, or the corporate office's rule. He replied it was a corporate decision, and there was a sign on the door. I told him I always check the door before I come in, and there is no sign. He takes me to a corkboard inside of the building where people post lost pet signs, for sale posters, etc, and removes several layers of people's crap to display his gunbuster sign. -.-

He then taped the sign to the door, and while he was doing that, I informed him that a criminal wishing to do harm to you/customers or rob the place doesn't care about your sign..it only keeps the law-abiding from giving you their money. He replies, "Well, we aren't worried about that."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Both Goodwill and The Salvation Army are anti-gun. I'm surprised you found a store without a gunbuster or verbiage on the door. I OCed in to the Goodwill off Maynard Rd in Cary, since they had a sign on the door banning CC, not OC. The confused manager told me that she "wasn't asking me to leave, but wanted to know if I didn't mind leaving." She didn't even say someone came up to her saying they were afraid, she said someone came to her and made it known that I was carrying, and she could "sense they might have been scared." I went back at a later time, and they got rid of the "no concealed weapons" sign and put up a "no weapons" sign. Every one I have been to in the Triangle now has this message on the door.

When I was at the SA store on Tryon Rd in Raleigh, a manager came up and asked if I was an officer, and I asked why he was inquiring. He replied that they only allow officers to OC in the store. I asked if this was his rule, or the corporate office's rule. He replied it was a corporate decision, and there was a sign on the door. I told him I always check the door before I come in, and there is no sign. He takes me to a corkboard inside of the building where people post lost pet signs, for sale posters, etc, and removes several layers of people's crap to display his gunbuster sign. -.-

He then taped the sign to the door, and while he was doing that, I informed him that a criminal wishing to do harm to you/customers or rob the place doesn't care about your sign..it only keeps the law-abiding from giving you their money. He replies, "Well, we aren't worried about that."

The only thing accomplished by pushing the point on the sign is to make it more visable to the general public and that does not benefit us :(

FlyBoy276

The only thing accomplished by pushing the point on the sign is to make it more visable to the general public and that does not benefit us :(
He mentioned the sign, not I. All I said was that there was no sign, and he strapped on his miner's hat and dug it out from under layers of advertisements. I do understand that a, "where's your sign!?" only encourages people that don't know about the law to put one up.

BlowMonkey5

big day of OC

yesterday, I OC'ed at Bojangles in Wake Forest for lunch...at the Honda, Audi, and Toyota dealerships all in Raleigh...the Walmart in Knightdale....no problems at all....people just don't notice their surroundings

solus

visited eye doctor on Friday where nobody in the clinic said a word as i OC'd. as i was checking out and the main desk, there was an adult in the waiting room with what appeared to be a small 'badge' on their ball cap and reading a binder w/big sheriff's decal on the cover.

being engrossed in his binder, he never saw my sidearm until i left walking by with my sidearm right at his eye level...if he would have had a cold he would have died as he gasped, quit breathing, choked, his hands on the chair arms as if he thought about quickly getting up, but by then, i was out the door.

glad i don't need glasses as i watched the whole thing go down out of the corner of my eye

then to shopping in the goldsboro mall...again nobody said a word...

ipse

Last edited: