• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

bc.cruiser

No, I would still be griping, an anti is anti in any color. It would not make a difference if there was a NC only OC group. WE DO have OCDO which probably has had the most influence on OC across the nation. Paul Valone YOUR leader came here to directly insult OCers, I cannot see how having anything besides OCDO changing his rabid mind.

I have not been on either NCGO, or GRNC, one leaves a bad taste, the other if they do not moderate to restrict rabid OC hatred would be no different then GRNC. So since you are a member, if I visit tell me I will find none of this boorish behavior?

I agree that OCDO has a great effect nationally--in sharing information. This forum keeps us abreast of events and efforts of various state groups. I have not seen that, in and of itself, OCDO is directly involved in proposing or writing legislation. That is what GRNC has been doing.

The only frequent meet-and-greet event held by members of NCGO that I know of is the Clayton/Garner area. It's too late for me to sign up for the Feb 5 one, but I will be willing to go to the March (date not yet set) one and will invite you to come along. I have not attended these before because I don't care to go to that area. Alternatively, I would invite you to our next range day that is reasonably close for you. I figure that will be in April or May, either at Range 37 between Spring Lake and Lillington, or up near Warrenton at Front Line Defense range.

WalkingWolf

I agree that OCDO has a great effect nationally--in sharing information. This forum keeps us abreast of events and efforts of various state groups. I have not seen that, in and of itself, OCDO is directly involved in proposing or writing legislation. That is what GRNC has been doing.

The only frequent meet-and-greet event held by members of NCGO that I know of is the Clayton/Garner area. It's too late for me to sign up for the Feb 5 one, but I will be willing to go to the March (date not yet set) one and will invite you to come along. I have not attended these before because I don't care to go to that area. Alternatively, I would invite you to our next range day that is reasonably close for you. I figure that will be in April or May, either at Range 37 between Spring Lake and Lillington, or up near Warrenton at Front Line Defense range.

OCers do not need a political organization to get things done, I detest them. It is much the same as biker clubs, while I rode with, and liked many of the members I had much distaste for the attitude of the organizations themselves. The bully attitude of most of these type organizations is enough to make one puke. The idea that they all follow a mantra even if it is morally wrong without question makes them idiots.

CDT COX

I'm not a member of Grass Roots. I post on the NC Gun Owners forum and have not seen anything or felt that the posters there are against open carry.

solus

Really? The two of y'all are bickering like my grandparents at bingo. Cut it out. Your making the whole firearms community look bad regardless of how you carry a gun.

Whats amazing is that the two of you countinue to belittle each other, and ones being overly agressive over the requirement for a cite, while the rest of us just don't give a damn. How about if you dont agree with something, you write a rebuttal and YOU provide a cite. Jesus, its like ones taking his head out his ass while the other is going about sticking his in.

Grow up you too. Im probably half your age and can tell I have a better grasp on being a gentleman then both of you.

The thing I go by is if you really want to disagree with me, thats fine, but I like to solve problems the old fasion way behind the tool shed if you know what i mean. And for my Marines out there, we can go play in the tree line, no problem.

R/S

first, thanks for your service, it is appreciated sorry it got curtailed due to an accident.

second nice of you to chime in and join into the fracas...

and pray tell you whipper snapper, :rolleyes::rolleyes: you, to assist in your upbringing by your elders, the requirement for a cite is a forum rule, to allow members to disagree about the same set of topics instead of the emotionalization like you have just expressed.

further, what has the NC prepper done to advance the NC open carry cause while traipsing around the east coast and since you have been back?

ipse

Last edited:

nobama

I'm not a member of Grass Roots. I post on the NC Gun Owners forum and have not seen anything or felt that the posters there are against open carry.

Same here. Though once in a while you will get the anti-OC people, but mostly they are cool with it.

solus

well, enjoyed a day out and about which included a short visit to SAMs which was uneventful ~ tho the Loomis guard has to change his shorts as we passed in the exit and he saw my sidearm...

sidebar: the Loomis guard was carrying what appeared to be a crappy and olde revolver that look like the one Elliot Ness carried in an oversize holster.

otherwise, an eventful day out and about.

ipse

cinnabeard

Traveled to Ohio this past week. Open carried there with no issues. I did have to put it away at a particular fancy Kroger grocery store that had a wine bar though... OC'd around Jefferson and Boone. Nothing to report other than an older chatty guy who wanted to discuss Texas carry laws to some extent...

1j9l9f0

Banned
Been Open carrying all around Washington, Chcowinity, Grimesland, and Greenville with no issues. Had a misinformed citizen (ret. army) keep trying to tell me I needed a permit. Showed him some info and he was better off when I left him.

solus

amazing what a piece of paper (trifold) does when placed in the hands of someone who gets excited and they are told to read it and if there are questions please call me personally so we can discuss the points of concern.

ipse

PerBast

Im wh you

I am with you. I am very nervous when I walk into a new place with my handgun on my hip. I just hate confrontations.

I went down to the Uwharrie shooting range today. Carried in the Eldorado Outpost there at Uwharrie. Left there and came back through Locust. Stopped in the Tokyo Express and got some food. I carried everywhere, but I haven't convinced my dad to carry with me.

On an unrelated note, I'm still a little nervous when I carry. I assume that after a while, that feeling will go away and it will feel completely normal to carry around a gun on my side?

Michael

solus

I am with you. I am very nervous when I walk into a new place with my handgun on my hip. I just hate confrontations.

Michael

Michael, which part of the state are you located in and find a mentor to go walk with you in wally or other known establishments.

PM and lets set up a meeting and go from there...

ipse

papa bear

Michael

Do pm SOLUS. But just to let you know they have a meet and greet in Kernsvile the first Friday of the month

Met a guy coming out of food lion on Lebanon street in My Airy, the other night. He was carrying a Taurus. Stoped him to talk real nice fellow. He had just moved back to the area. From AZ.,was in 82 airborne. Told him about this site and I hope he comes here

bc.cruiser

Out and about yesterday (Friday). First stop was the Ford truck shop to check on latest repairs to the F350 and get the hitch moved to the F250, then to the hospital to pay the bill (posted; left the 1911 in the vault), then to Camping World to pick up my 5th wheeler. After lunch I took the Ranger in for inspection and then to the DMV in Raeford. Unlike Cumberland county DMV offices, the one in Raeford is not posted. I'm not sure anyone other than a couple customers noticed. The customers simply went about their business. Arriving back at home, I stopped to introduce myself to a new neighbor, a young Army sergeant. He had a Sig sticker on the car, and was OCing a .40. Except for all the money that was sucked out of my wallet, a good day.

solus

visited SAMs yesterday and ran into an acquaintance and her 12yo fraternal twins shopping. while we were chatting the youn's were being youn's and bored out of their minds ignoring the adults talking. after about seven minutes, one of the twins looked over at me and said loudly ~ "you have a gun, where did you get that??" since i was standing next to the mushrooms i moved a couple of packages looking for something, turned and said there were more there a moment ago?

mom burst out laughing, the other twin had this perplexed look as he hadn't seen my firearm either...and the quizzical twin who initially asked the question truly was confused. i could tell the twin with perplexed look wanted to ask, so i just said it is a 9mm!! mom burst out again in a loud laugh.

enjoyed the visit and left chuckling myself.

ipse

added...was a lowes and an elderly gentleman came up to me thanking me for carrying...and when i asked where his firearm was, he pouted and said at home and we chatted and he seemed invigorated about carrying his firearm.

ipse

solus

went to selma's robbins nest w/friends for brunch and they had an acquaintance come over and commented about my firearm and when i asked about their's, was told he carried in the past and didn't believe citizens should carry 'weapons'...i looked straight him in the eye and distastefully stated...oh LE, eh...turned and returned to finished eating...he left with a shocked look on his face. my friends laughed after their acquaintance left and said 'good for you' for calling him out on his pompous arse.

went to smithfield's lowes and chatted up several of the staff who commented on my firearm (wore the purdy one today!!) and went on about my business.

all in all an uneventful day in the tarheel state, specifically in rural religious eastern part.

ipse

PerBast

Lowes and Walmart off of 85 in Greensboro

Stopped by Lowes off of Elm street without any issues. Went into Walmart for a few pizza's and a Redbox movie without issue. A little nervous, but other than that one more step for mankind.

Has anybody tried out the 2Afriendly app. I recently downloaded it and am giving it a whirl. North Carolina seems to have a number of users. When I looked at SC (my future home for retirement) there were really very few users to the area that I was searching

Michael

PerBast

North Carolina / South Carolina OC laws

That is because South Carolina laws do not favor OC at all.

It is interesting how things vary so much between two states. Makes it a challenge for us new gun owners to learn the laws and travel. Hopefully my concealed carry permit will make it through the system before to much longer. At least the concealed carry laws are a little more similar.

Michael