• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

NC-Heel

Went on a motorcycle ride Sunday. Left Greenville SC and made a big loop up through NC before returning to Greenville. Stopped at the Burger King in Brevard and there was some kind of festival going on downtown. I was carrying concealed with my hybrid IWB, Decided that since the NC laws were requiring me to wear a helmet I would use the same laws to open carry. Also gave my side a break from the leather paddle. Tucked my t-shirt in around my pistol. Really didn't expect it to be too noticeable as most of it was inside my waistband.

Eating my sandwich and as one guy is leaving he says "I would be afraid I would lose my gun while riding". I replied, "It's not going anywhere while I am on the bike".

Bearfoot

NC-Heel...I too ride a motorcycle, and carry openly everywhere I can untill told otherwise. Everytime I jump on the cruiser, I often times wonder if the looks I get from people in other vehicles are directed at my sidearm, or my girlfriend. Either way, I just smile back and carry-on.

PrestonW...I am surprised you and I have not ran into each other somewhere in this neck of the woods. The girlfriend and I have been all over the eastern most part of the state this weekend, both on 2 & 4 wheeled transportation. Took two ferries, and made a few stops here and there. Covered much of the territory between Aurora, G'ville, New Bern, Beaufort, Morehead City, and Havelock. Lots of stank-eye looks from a few folks, and only one person asked was I a cop. My reply to them was, "No. Just a lawfully armed citizen keeping the 2A alive." They looked at me, smiled real big, and said, "You got my vote. I am definitely on your side."

NC-Heel...One thing I almost forgot. The holster I use is a Blackhawk Serpa. So far it has done well.

Last edited:

PrestonW

PrestonW...I am surprised you and I have not ran into each other somewhere in this neck of the woods.

Might be due to the times I've been out. I'm always carrying unless I'm heading to the CCC Campus, getting ready for civilian LEO training. I wish it's been on 2 wheels, but everytime I find a good deal on a bike I like, I'm unable to pay at the time and the wife hasn't been riding hers without me riding as well.

Only time I've seen another OCer was down in J-ville at the meetup. I'm almost always wearing an Air Force ballcap (or Air Force helmet rag when riding) and a lefty crossdraw.

NC-Heel

NC-Heel...One thing I almost forgot. The holster I use is a Blackhawk Serpa. So far it has done well.
I normally carry in a Blachawk Serpa but on the bike the shirt tends to ride up with it. I have been riding (in SC) and realized the shirt has blown up and I am inadvertently openly carrying. The Serpa is a very secure holster that I do not worry about retention but the hybrid IWB is just as secure if not more so when it is all strapped in.

Medic1210

Was OC in Walmart the other night with my family, and got approached (in a completely non-confrontational way) by a fella and his girlfriend. He asked if I had a CHP, or if I was a cop, to which I replied that I was not a cop, just a LAC who happened to have a CHP, but preferred to OC. I explained that it was perfectly legal in NC as long as you were legally allowed to own a firearm. He said he had been looking at getting his CHP for a while now, but just hadn't taken the class yet. I told him he should try OC since he didn't have to pay for a class and pay for a permit. Both he and his girlfriend were very receptive to what I told them, and seemed interested in learning more. I suggested he buy a quality holster from one of the LGS, and try OC for a while. Who knows... Maybe he'll give it a try. I enjoy talking to folks about carrying, and to date, have yet to have a negative experience. Knock on wood.

The last time I got to educate a couple folks on the law was at my local Farm Bureau when I went in to change my insurance policy. When I was checking out, my agent asked what gun I was carrying. When he said that, the clerk's eyes got real big, and she asked, "He's packing?!?" I thought for sure I had run across my first anti, but surprisingly, it was the opposite. She just didn't know it was legal to do that. Said she wasn't afraid of guns, that she had grown up around them. She just found it interesting I carried openly. When I told her why, she fully agreed with me. Another good experience. Just as a side note, not that it matters, but for those of you familiar with country singer Bucky Covington who got his start on American Idol, she is his step mother.

jag06

Took my brother over to Guitar Center in Greensboro beside Gander Mountain over the weekend to pick up a guitar. Both of us were OC'ing. When he was checking out the guy that had helped my brother pick out the guitar and was checking him out made a reference to his gun or motioned to it and asked him if he was in law enforcement. My brother said no just carried a gun for self defense. The guy responded, "That's cool.", and then proceeded to finish checking him out. While my brother was checking out I was talking to the repair guy that was at the counter asking about a repair job for a banjo I have. When we finished talking about the repair job him and his buddy that was working there were joking around and the repair guy said I will fix it for you if you shoot this guy for me (pointing to his buddy). I replied sorry, unfortunately for you I can't do that, fortunately for your friend but unfortunate for you. They both got a good laugh at that and at that time my brother finished and we head for the truck. On our way out they all waved and said have a nice day. Good experience overall at Guitar Center.

Greg Bradburn

Took my brother over to Guitar Center in Greensboro beside Gander Mountain over the weekend to pick up a guitar. Both of us were OC'ing. When he was checking out the guy that had helped my brother pick out the guitar and was checking him out made a reference to his gun or motioned to it and asked him if he was in law enforcement. My brother said no just carried a gun for self defense. The guy responded, "That's cool.", and then proceeded to finish checking him out. While my brother was checking out I was talking to the repair guy that was at the counter asking about a repair job for a banjo I have. When we finished talking about the repair job him and his buddy that was working there were joking around and the repair guy said I will fix it for you if you shoot this guy for me (pointing to his buddy). I replied sorry, unfortunately for you I can't do that, fortunately for your friend but unfortunate for you. They both got a good laugh at that and at that time my brother finished and we head for the truck. On our way out they all waved and said have a nice day. Good experience overall at Guitar Center.

The Guitar Center on Capital Blvd in Raleigh put up a no guns sign. I guess it's not a corporate policy.

DJohnson_NC

First time OCing in public today. I'm 21, and have been carrying my Glock 27 .40 in my truck when I travel. I always leave it in my truck. I discovered this site, and wanted to open carry, but wasnt sure how well it would be recieved. After reading some post and studying the law, I decided to try it today! Was in Benson, and needed some gas before heading home to Harnett County. I stopped at the BP across the street from the Waffle House off 50 HWY. I entered the gas station with my Glock on my hip, waited in line, then paid for my gas. I don't think the cashier noticed, but I noticed a male walked in the store and took a double take but said nothing and quietly entered the line behind me. Great first experience!

I'm impressed with this site, and so glad to see so many other North Carolinians practicing thier 2nd Amendment right!

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I'm curious to understand the choice behind a Glock 27 vs a Glock 26 when the 27 does not achieve as much penetration as the 26 and the ammo is more expensive.

Otherwise it's always good to see people doing perfectly legal things when they want to.

Medic1210

I'm curious to understand the choice behind a Glock 27 vs a Glock 26 when the 27 does not achieve as much penetration as the 26 and the ammo is more expensive.

Otherwise it's always good to see people doing perfectly legal things when they want to.

Never heard of a .40 cal round not being able to penetrate deep enough to strike vital organs. For some, nothing smaller than a .40 will do, while for others, they're happy with 9mm, while others won't settle for anything less than .45. If you can't hit your target, doesn't matter what you shoot.

cshe091

First post, and first open carry today. I started with a super baby step. I took the dog for a walk, and decided to OC since I have been reading this site and studying the law. I didn't even get a second look from anyone driving by. Next, I will try Gander Mountain, although that wont be a problem! After that I plan to head to Wal-Mart! :eek: Before I was out of my yard, I was really nervous/anxious, but by the end of my walk it didn't seem like a big deal at all.

papa bear

went into PRO-SHOTS in rural hall today, and thanked them for taking down the sign, "no loaded firearms past this point". talked to MORBUS, really nice fellow. he said they had a meeting about it. we talked awhile about the laws and of other states. he wanted some of those " no gun = no $" cards, so i gave him some. though they did have VCDL.org on them

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
went into PRO-SHOTS in rural hall today, and thanked them for taking down the sign, "no loaded firearms past this point". talked to MORBUS, really nice fellow. he said they had a meeting about it. we talked awhile about the laws and of other states. he wanted some of those " no gun = no $" cards, so i gave him some. though they did have VCDL.org on them

Nice job and we don't mind the plug. :D

Thought you guys had your own version.

jag06

Since you were there,you did go into Gander Mountain right? I OC in GM everytime I go.

No, did not make it in. I had just got back home at 1am that morning from being out of town for a week. Though this was 3pm, I was beat, and though tempted, did not go in. But I OC whenever I go into Gander and have not had and problems. In fact last time I was there was about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I was picking up a new knife sharpener. Talked to a couple employees asking about what they had and what was good. A couple of guys were in uniform and were armed where in the knife section as well, if I remember correctly that had a fish on their patch, but I never got a good look at their patch to see who they were with. I figure they were with the park service. They heard me and one of the employees talking about sharpeners and they jumped in giving advice. Not one of them acknowledged that they say my glock if there ever saw it.

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
Never heard of a .40 cal round not being able to penetrate deep enough to strike vital organs. For some, nothing smaller than a .40 will do, while for others, they're happy with 9mm, while others won't settle for anything less than .45. If you can't hit your target, doesn't matter what you shoot.

The .40 round is perfectly capable, but the Glock 27 does not give it enough barrel to perform with. The result is the 9mm in the Glock 26 outperforms the .40 in the 27.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
The .40 round is perfectly capable, but the Glock 27 does not give it enough barrel to perform with. The result is the 9mm in the Glock 26 outperforms the .40 in the 27.

{sarcasm}Based on what I've seen on this forum, you might want to consider rewriting that statement as your opinion or the moderators will threaten you with being banned for not citing your posts IAW the forum rules... {/sarcasm}

:uhoh:

--Moderator comment--
If you question the data/claim, it is more productive to call for a cite yourself.
That and we do not "threaten" - most often soft hand, only when egregious does the hammer come out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic1210

I'd be interested in seeing the data that backs that claim. I've seen ballistic tests of various .40 rounds fired from a G27 on youtube, and none of those have made me the least bit less confident carrying mine on a daily basis.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I'd be interested in seeing the data that backs that claim. I've seen ballistic tests of various .40 rounds fired from a G27 on youtube, and none of those have made me the least bit less confident carrying mine on a daily basis.

Same here. I bought a 27 to go along with my 23, which I have had for a couple years. Its nice to carry the smaller gun when I need deep concealment - it has 2x capacity of a j-frame & I can carry a G23 mag (or 22 for that matter) for reloads.

Granted, I've never had to shoot anyone with a Glock 27, but I've never seen any data suggesting that you can't get a .40 bullet to penetrate deep enough out of a 3" barrel. Both Mas Ayoob & Youtube's "Hickock45" have had only positive things to say about the 27.

I challenge anyone who thinks it is ineffective to sign a legal waiver & allow me to use them as a test subject =P

EDIT: If you can get adequate penetration shooting a .38 out of a 2" barrel then it shouldn't be a problem with the higher velocity .40 out of a 3". Right now I'm carrying 150 grain Cor Bon jhp's in my 27. They have been clocked at 1200fps out of a 4". I don't think they are losing much velocity out of a 3" (-50fps?). I'm sure that load will perform fine in my 27 ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: