• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

WalkingWolf

I don't ask permission,I have a chp so I oc into all restaurants I go to, never been an issue. They can say oc isn't covered in the spirit of the law, but the letter of the law doesn't agree.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD

If he asks permission he can legally consume alcohol, if he uses the CHP he cannot. I ask permission and it has yet to be denied, and I didn't have to spend all that money for permission slip.

nobama

I don't ask permission,I have a chp so I oc into all restaurants I go to, never been an issue. They can say oc isn't covered in the spirit of the law, but the letter of the law doesn't agree.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD

I agree but didn't want to be a test case. Nice to know.

solus

ran to the o'rileys in smithville and a mature gentleman approached me about my firearm and could i recommend an instructor so he could get the appropriate permit. I then asked him why he wanted to give the sheriff 80-90 bucks for a CHP plus the cost CHP instruction. i suggested he just OC ~ his shocked look was great!

he admitted he was 72 and stated after our conversation, he didn't know he could OC and he was surprised the sheriff's office hadn't said he could just OC. we finished with the gentleman stating he was going to start OC'g right after he goes home and gets his 357 w/holster.

ipse

tiggy1190

In the last two weeks I have been asked, "is that real", "hey man, what's with the pistol", "are you a detective", and "open carry much" (twice). So far seems as if everyone is on track with it. Had a convenient store clerk ask me when I started carrying, and said she wished Ida been there the night before when they had a bat swinging drunk terrorizing people in the parking lot. Let me give you a visual of myself. 42yo plumber that wears glue, and dirt stained jeans, two t-shirts, one tucked in the other out (so I don't show my best side while under a sink), and sometimes cargo shorts. Clean, tight military cut, and clean shaven face. I carry a full size .40 Beretta PX4 Storm in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. My father says I look like an off duty LEO doing home improvements. I get quite a look when asked if I'm a cop, and I respond "no, I'm a Plumber, why"? All encounters were in Candler. For those that don't know, Candler is on the western side of Asheville.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
We had a small OC lunch gathering on Saturday at the Parkway House restaurant in Concord. All was good, and it got even better when we got up to leave and the local LEO's head snapped around to our holstered sidearms. Afterwards, the group (including someone who joined just to learn more about OC and handgun choices) went to the range for some "group" therapy.

Jamesm760

ran to the o'rileys in smithville and a mature gentleman approached me about my firearm and could i recommend an instructor so he could get the appropriate permit. I then asked him why he wanted to give the sheriff 80-90 bucks for a CHP plus the cost CHP instruction. i suggested he just OC ~ his shocked look was great!

he admitted he was 72 and stated after our conversation, he didn't know he could OC and he was surprised the sheriff's office hadn't said he could just OC. we finished with the gentleman stating he was going to start OC'g right after he goes home and gets his 357 w/holster.

ipse

Great story!!

We had a small OC lunch gathering on Saturday at the Parkway House restaurant in Concord. All was good, and it got even better when we got up to leave and the local LEO's head snapped around to our holstered sidearms. Afterwards, the group (including someone who joined just to learn more about OC and handgun choices) went to the range for some "group" therapy.

G22 forgot to mention that the person who joined us was anti. That made my day when I found out he was previously anti and was going to the range with us. :banana: Now if we could only get all the anti's to see that banning anything will not solve a problem.

BlowMonkey5

Just OC'ed at Bojangles on Western Blvd. in Raleigh for lunch. For those who don't know, this Bojangles is right next to NC State, so a whole bunch of college kids and/or teaching staff eat there often. Place was packed, but nobody gave me a second look. I guess the chicken was more interesting than me. :p

tiggy1190

Worked at Wells Fargo in Marshall yesterday, and noticed no signage, so I asked the manager if she mind that I OC while I install their water heater, and she was happy to approve. Yes, I plumb armed. I guess it's a good way to ensure you get paid when finished. :lol: My company approves of me being armed at all times.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Worked at Wells Fargo in Marshall yesterday, and noticed no signage, so I asked the manager if she mind that I OC while I install their water heater, and she was happy to approve. Yes, I plumb armed. I guess it's a good way to ensure you get paid when finished. :lol: My company approves of me being armed at all times.

Good for your employer. It could be said that they are plumb responsible :)

razor_baghdad

mind posting that company? We don't know your name and they might find themselves with more business than they can handle. You'd be welcome in my house "armed" anytime.....work related, of course!! ;-)

BlowMonkey5

Had to stop at an atm last night (around 6 pm) on the way home from work. Said atm is located in a shopping center in what I would call a "safer" part of Wake Forest. The atm is one of the "stand-alone" types with about 25 yards of open space all around it. So, I pull up right in front of it, check to see it anyone was around-nobody was- and get out of car. The PF9 was sitting on my hip for the world to see. I was just finishing up when I see a guy walking really fast toward me out of the corner of my eye. He's about 15-20 yards away when I turn to face him. At this point, he sees my gun, turns around, and hauls ass the other way. I watch him get into a suv with two other guys on the other side of the parking lot and they quickly leave. I really think that I was about to be mugged/robbed:uhoh:. Glad I had my gun with me.

tiggy1190

I handed out my first NC OC flyer two nights ago. I was questioned about my Beretta while standing in the checkout line, and the man was shocked to hear that he could OC, and said that they never told him that in the CC course. We spoke briefly about the laws, and I could see some doubtful patrons with a look of anger on their faces in the next line over. That's when I decided to pull out the flyer, and stated to him that it would explain it all. The onlookers were a bit unsettled by this as I think they realized that I knew what I was talking about.

I also had a service call at a BB where the manager asked "do you put a real gun in that holster"? I tend to disarm when I am going in to a new customer situation. She was originally from the Bronx, and said "that's what I don't like about the south". I explained that a person who openly carries should not be seen as a threat since most criminals conceal prior to the crime. I explained the power of prevention mentality, and that if we were in public, and the shite hit the fan, I am the one guy she wants to be behind. She laughed, and agreed.

solus

gotta love their preconceived ideas, wonder what she would do if she went to WY, NM, CO, WA, OH, uh or the other myriad of states that, w/o hesitation, allow their citizens to OC and then you have SC which doesn't acknowledge OC as being legal.

glad you had a good encounter tiggy...

ipse

carolina guy

gotta love their preconceived ideas, wonder what she would do if she went to WY, NM, CO, WA, OH, uh or the other myriad of states that, w/o hesitation, allow their citizens to OC and then you have SC which doesn't acknowledge OC as being legal.

glad you had a good encounter tiggy...

ipse

First...been OC on and off around Concord, and as usual...no problems to report. :)

Second, since SC is in the same district as NC and DC...realistically, how can they really keep the ban on OC in SC leaving the ONLY method to exercise the RTKBA in SC a licensed activity??

solus

Carolina Guy, perhaps we should lend SC our GRNC group to assist in getting SC citizens this OC capability. nope that wont work for reasons already aired within this forum.

guess SC citizens are left to their own devices to rectify their legal OC quagmire!

ipse

Custodian

All is quiet on the Southern front...

To paraphrase the WWII pilot, Jack Caiman (before his immediate demise), 'Custodian here. No problems'. OC of a S&W 9mm Longslide <with +p ammo> in a BLACKHAWK! Serpa holster with a could of mags for backup. Town of Wendell (a satellite town), and Town of Knightdale, as well as Town of Zebulon, and parts of Raleigh near the 495/264 area.

Most notably was that there were no stares, confrontations, or anything. Especially when me and my baby girl, ordered some grub in some eateries.

Stay safe. Stay second amendment.

smlawrence

Just moved to the Kernersville area this week. Had to take the kids to get enrolled in school and wanted to poke around town a bit with the family to see what is around us. No I didn't try to carry when we enrolled the kids in school. Stopped at a couple local discount stores just to see what they had. I don't think anyone even noticed that I was OC'ing. Chatted with the lady at the counter when we paid at the last store and had several people behind us in line. Caught the guy behind be scoping out my Px4 Storm but I think he was more curious about what kind of firearm it was.

Having strangers stand too close behind me always makes me a little uneasy but while OCing the hairs on the back of my neck stood up a little more than usual. I guess it should be that way though. Seeing as I just moved from Komiefornia where people look at you funny if they know you own a firearm it just seemed a bit strange that no one really cared that I was OCing in town. All in all it was a pleasant experience.

Welcome to Kernersville.... I've been OC'ing here in Kvegas for 5yrs or so with very little problem. Local LEO have been very supportive of our 2A rights. I frequent Route 66 diner for coffee and lunch if you ever happen to be around. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime.

solus

walking through Walmart's on Spence and was passed by a young man w/baseball cap, sleeves cut off shirt, & OC'g while pushing a shopping cart w/what looked like a compact XD9. he seemed to be on a mission and was walking briskly so i couldn't catch up to say hello and then he disappeared amongst the aisles.

this was after lunch where i had outstanding & jovial conversation with a tattoo'd retired priest at the subway down the way from harris teeter. quite enjoyable and he was surprised he didn't know about the opportunity to OC in the tarheel state.

FYI his CHP instructor, LE, lied out their arse to the man about how long the certificate for training was good for as well as a few other items ~ straighten out the misinformation. truly hope he calls and says lets go shooting...

ipse