• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

bc.cruiser

First image is when I saw the cops headed out towards the street. The man with his back to us, the girl, and the guy against the fence are the prospective gun buyers. The cop in the sweatshirt was the only plainclothes officer with his badge out.

qnWqxct.jpg

The far left uniform is a captain; both uniforms left after a few minutes. The officer with the coffee never did say much. The one in the foreground was one of the two doing most of the talking. The rest of the plainclothes officers strolled in a couple minutes later.

mMGFc7S.jpg

Just a different angle of the same thing.

g4UcmSI.jpg

Sorry to say, I completely disregarded my camera having a video capability. I am not going to try to reconstruct their conversation. What I posted previously is all I have for you in regards to this. I did continue around the church and met several officers. Nobody expressed any concern that I was armed, which I thought was great as we were only 500' from the school. Maybe because it was Saturday.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Sorry to say, I completely disregarded my camera having a video capability. I am not going to try to reconstruct their conversation. What I posted previously is all I have for you in regards to this. I did continue around the church and met several officers. Nobody expressed any concern that I was armed, which I thought was great as we were only 500' from the school. Maybe because it was Saturday.
GFSZ are not just in effect M-F or when school is in session.

The law is seldom (virtually never) utilized as a primary offense, particularly by local agencies.

Glock 21

I open carried for the first time on Sunday. I went to Dunham's Sports in Rocky Mount. I wore my Glock 21 in the standard glock holster. A few people gave it a quick glance, but nobody said anything about it. It felt good to exercise my right and I plan to open carry in the future.

bc.cruiser

At the local WM this evening a man came up to me, shook my hand, and said "God bless you for carrying, and especially for carrying a 1911". It struck me funny as when I first saw him, I thought "he's carrying", just from the way he walked.:lol:

NC-Heel

never stated you got your rumor out at OCDO...

as a born again lurker, you should should have read the postings and know unequivocally LE(s) will lie to your face because they themselves do not know the facts or statutes so misinformation is passed along as gospel and you have just furthered that rumor and myth on a public forum!!

so, as you succinctly put it earlier, quote: To get directly to the point unquote, your recent statement is exactly what i perceived it was...misstatements, hearsay, and not based on any cite or fact?

ipse
I have many friends on CMPD and I have also posted that the John Belk Harassment Zone is an unwritten Chief Monroe directive.

Vagrant

Apparently I haven't posted in a long time but two incidents happened in greensboro, both at the lowes food off Guilford college.

I know one of the clerks quite well and he always strikes up a conversation with me when he is there so we chatted about a week ago for 5 minutes and I went about my business, I went back in yesterday for last min thanksgiving prep, and he told me that an older middle aged white woman as I left the store came up to him and asked him "if he was carrying a gun?".

Which he responded with "yeah, he is" the lady as he said then chose to ask him why I was carrying a firearm, which he simply stated "because he can?"
Which apparently dumbfounded her.

Vagrant

The second one was by a black lady who remembered my face as someone who frequents the store quite often, she semi yelled at me from the bakery section asking me why I had that gun on me, at which point I simply said "I carry because I care about defending myself" which I think took her by surprise with the statement.

She then told me that she had seen me come in all the time and she only now noticed that I was armed, she also got really off topic asking me if I was married.... which yeah.... I'm not but still lol.

ron73440

The second one was by a black lady who remembered my face as someone who frequents the store quite often, she semi yelled at me from the bakery section asking me why I had that gun on me, at which point I simply said "I carry because I care about defending myself" which I think took her by surprise with the statement.

She then told me that she had seen me come in all the time and she only now noticed that I was armed, she also got really off topic asking me if I was married.... which yeah.... I'm not but still lol.

Nice!

I went to Hunnings Fleet repair in New Bern. While inside, my truck lost all its windshield fluid and I thought it was my radiator. One of the workers was helping me locate the leak, nothing was said about the pistol.

Went to Kmart, Lowe's, Kountry Kitchen and the gun store next to it in Morehead. No issues to report.

Freedom is awesome.

jtitus07

OCed at Zaxby's in Goldsboro the other night. Walked into the restaurant only to find a table full of WCSO deputies. Walked passed them several times between my table and the drink/condiment area. Not even a second glance from any of them. Not even sure they noticed I was carrying.

BlowMonkey5

been a while since I posted...so here goes: OC'ed at walmart, harris tetter, and home depot (all in wake forest) over the thanksgiving weekend. Nobody batted an eye. OC'ed today at bojangles in garner for lunch. The place was full of Garner High students. Got a few wide eyed looks from a table of teen girls, but nothing major. I did get a nod from an older guy(mid 60s, I guess). When he nodded, he also took his right hand and patted his jacket by his left shoulder. I could just make out "the bulge" under the jacket.

solus

OCed at Zaxby's in Goldsboro the other night. Walked into the restaurant only to find a table full of WCSO deputies. Walked passed them several times between my table and the drink/condiment area. Not even a second glance from any of them. Not even sure they noticed I was carrying.

Jtitus07, while i am sure they noticed, noted your presence, they truly do not care to be honest...which is the way it should be.

ipse

Jamesm760

Nothing interest to report. This past Sunday I went to Porky's in Salisbury to pick up some breakfast and noticed a guy OCing in there... I wasn't OCing due to having to work, I didn't want to bother the guy so I didn't say anything. Always glad to come across another OCer though.

tiggy1190

A little update

I wont go into all the details, but long story short. Drunk, and drugged up moron threatens me with a knife, then a gun, and advances towards me. I never saw the weapon, but his hands were behind his back the whole time. I knew I was just in taking a shot, but there were at least 30-50 onlookers standing behind him. I have a .40 Storm, and had 180g FMJ's in it that day due to working in the woods around bears. I had an overwhelming fear of over penetration, so I gave a warning shot to the ground just in front of him. He retreated like a scalded cat. So far the BCSD has been extremely positive, and supportive through all this. They said I made the right choice. I feel the same. Sadly, some of my chest pounding family seems to think I should have shot him irregardless. Sorry, but I made the right call. I carry to protect myself, my family, and those around me who may be in harms way. I am not going to jeopardize innocent folks. For the record, if he had continued then yes, I would have fired on him, but that wasn't the case. The SD did tell me he had a small knife in his front right pocket when they arrested him. I filed charges against him for communicating a threat. Just waiting on the SD to finish analyzing my weapon before they return it. All, but one officer that night supported me when the asked if I had a CCHP, and I stated "no, I OC".
I was in court on Monday for the warrant I had taken out on him, and he did not show. Judge issued a bench warrant for FTA. Talk about making my actions look even more just. I have been told he has been hanging out at a convenience store across the road from where it happened, and is waiting for revenge. Not sure if this dude is ever going to learn. Funny thing is, he says he's looking for a "young punk" in his 20's. I am 43, and have gray stubble. Something tells me I could probably stand next to him, and he wouldn't even know it's me. Also, went to SD a few weeks ago to retrieve my weapon. Got it, the magazine w/rounds still in it, and the spent casing. Lock up officer asked if I wanted to carry it out in the bag, or holster. I told him I had my holster on, and he said "load up". I chambered a round, holstered it, and walked through the SD, and out the door. It really was a sense of victory, pride, and relief at the same time.

Last edited:

r1dramma

Publix is good to go, no looks no nothing, the way it should be! Went to the one by S. Tryon & Arrowood needed a few things, never been inside service was pretty good & they have boars head cold cuts yum!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

est1988

2nd OC at walmart, less stares and a couple double takes. The guy at aunt annies said he carries his 45 as well.

Yall stay safe out there♤♡♢♧

ArmyxSoldier

oc question

Hey eveyone,
My name is Marcus and my family and I just moved from Miami, Fl to Asheville, NC. Im very happy to learn more about this open carry thing we got up here. Now quick question. When I look through the OC code, I find it hard to get the straight answers I'm looking for. I do realize I might not be in the right thread for this but I'm tired of clicking buttons.

1) While OC'ing, can my .45 be loaded, or does the clip have to be separated from the weapon on my hip?

2) While OC'ing, does the holster have to be a certain type? (Meaning does it have to have a snap button harness, etc...)

I'm sure I will be posting more often questions I have. I was going to ask the cop this morning at the gas station, but there were 3 civilians in line and I didnt want to be the dumbass floridian asking stupid questions.

I'll be waiting for a response, thank you for your time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey eveyone,
My name is Marcus and my family and I just moved from Miami, Fl to Asheville, NC. Im very happy to learn more about this open carry thing we got up here. Now quick question. When I look through the OC code, I find it hard to get the straight answers I'm looking for. I do realize I might not be in the right thread for this but I'm tired of clicking buttons.

1) While OC'ing, can my .45 be loaded, or does the clip(sic) have to be separated from the weapon on my hip?

2) While OC'ing, does the holster have to be a certain type? (Meaning does it have to have a snap button harness, etc...)

I'm sure I will be posting more often questions I have. I was going to ask the cop this morning at the gas station, but there were 3 civilians in line and I didnt want to be the dumbass floridian asking stupid questions.

Welcome to the forum ArmyxSoldier.

1) By all means carry it loaded - just a paper weight otherwise.

2) No special holster required, though most will recommend some active retention.

Never ask a LEO about the law, unless you wish to put attorneys out of business :p

A good place to start you search for answers is the thread following: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer

ArmyxSoldier

Welcome to the forum ArmyxSoldier.

1) By all means carry it loaded - just a paper weight otherwise.

2) No special holster required, though most will recommend some active retention.

Never ask a LEO about the law, unless you wish to put attorneys out of business :p

A good place to start you search for answers is the thread following: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer

Thank you, I'm going to get a better holster as we speak, I'll be heading to Wal-Mart I'll post my experience tonight.

XD40sc

Hey eveyone,

1) While OC'ing, can my .45 be loaded, or does the clip have to be separated from the weapon on my hip?

You won't find much 'code' about OC, because NC has OC due to the lack of laws prohibiting OC. Remember laws only tell us what we cannot do, virtually no laws are passed about things we 'can' do.

1) In NC law, a handgun is treated the same loaded or empty. If it's legal to carry a gun where you are going, loaded or unloaded doesn't matter. In the same vain, if it is illegal to have a gun someplace, again doesn't matter if it is loaded or unloaded. Carry chambered if your comfortable with that.

2)no, common sense, covers the trigger, designed for that gun, and maybe retention.

3)most have shortened "dumbass floridian" to "floridiots" :) Oh, and never ask a cop, they don't know the law, but most of them think they do, and they will always have an 'opinion' which they think is the law.

Last edited: