• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
shaking my head...standing in customer service line in Wally, heard someone mumble something next to me...eh, i'll ignore it...then the tapping began on my weakside elbow...

'excuse me you killed any snakes with that big gun?' said the silverhaired woman. uh, huh, what?
she repeated her question, quite sincerely. no Ma'ma, i do not use my self defense firearm to kill snakes.
'well i've seen rattlesnakes, moccasins, and...'
thank goodness i got called to the counter right then to be helped. whew

ipse
Maybe she was hitting on you, hoping to find some area of interest on which to build. :lol:

dmatting

Scared hens in Durham

Had an interesting experience tonite. Had to go down to Coastal Federal Credit Union tonite after normal hours to deposit some cash. A little background for those unfamiliar with Coastal... They have no tellers at the branches - what they have are kiosks which are glorified atms that have a video screen so you talk to a teller that is located in Raleigh. After normal business hours the kiosks in the front foyers are open until 7pm.

So we get there at like 6:45, the wife was driving, and I get out and go to the door. There are two women in there already. So your supposed to be able to get in through a card scanner that you run your debit card thru. Well, it didn't work for some reason... didn't work for another woman who came up and tried it add well, so I figured I would wait until they left, grab the open door and go in. Well, the two hens inside saw my pistol and got all scared and would not come out and actually called the cops. I guess they thought that I was waiting for them to come out so I could rob and kill them, even though I had a wad of cash on my hand that I know one of the hens saw.

Anyway, I figured they called the cops or something cuz they wouldn't come out and kept looking at me. I actually thought it was kind of funny, but not really funny cuz by the time the cops did get there it was after 7 and the kiosk shut down.

So two Durham police officers show up and just say that the hens have the right to call 911 on me cuz they were scared but I was perfectly within my rights and nothing really came of it... except that I had to deposit the cash thru an atm, which I don't really like to do... I prefer using the kiosks cuz at least there is a live person involved.

Anyway, stories of cops supressing carry rights in the city of Durham don't really hold water. Oh, and one of the cops asked me if I was carrying a Glock... which I get A LOT...I guess the Springfield XD looks like a glock when it's in a holster?

mynameiscolb

Had an interesting experience tonite. Had to go down to Coastal Federal Credit Union tonite after normal hours to deposit some cash. A little background for those unfamiliar with Coastal... They have no tellers at the branches - what they have are kiosks which are glorified atms that have a video screen so you talk to a teller that is located in Raleigh. After normal business hours the kiosks in the front foyers are open until 7pm.

So we get there at like 6:45, the wife was driving, and I get out and go to the door. There are two women in there already. So your supposed to be able to get in through a card scanner that you run your debit card thru. Well, it didn't work for some reason... didn't work for another woman who came up and tried it add well, so I figured I would wait until they left, grab the open door and go in. Well, the two hens inside saw my pistol and got all scared and would not come out and actually called the cops. I guess they thought that I was waiting for them to come out so I could rob and kill them, even though I had a wad of cash on my hand that I know one of the hens saw.

Anyway, I figured they called the cops or something cuz they wouldn't come out and kept looking at me. I actually thought it was kind of funny, but not really funny cuz by the time the cops did get there it was after 7 and the kiosk shut down.

So two Durham police officers show up and just say that the hens have the right to call 911 on me cuz they were scared but I was perfectly within my rights and nothing really came of it... except that I had to deposit the cash thru an atm, which I don't really like to do... I prefer using the kiosks cuz at least there is a live person involved.

Anyway, stories of cops supressing carry rights in the city of Durham don't really hold water. Oh, and one of the cops asked me if I was carrying a Glock... which I get A LOT...I guess the Springfield XD looks like a glock when it's in a holster?
I also get asked the same question quite frequently. I carry a Springfield XD with TFO sights. I'd say it's about 4 times a week "Nice gun, is that a Glock?" Lol

bc.cruiser

I also get asked the same question quite frequently. I carry a Springfield XD with TFO sights. I'd say it's about 4 times a week "Nice gun, is that a Glock?" Lol

Probably because Glock seems to be the favorite TV show gun. You'd likely get equivalent questions if Ruger SR1911s were the rage on TV. I've had my LC9 accused of being a baby Glock.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
All plastic fantastics are Glocks.

All long guns, especially EBRs (evil black rifles), are AR's and frequently full auto.

Don't believe me? Hmmph! Just ask a media rep to check his/her manual :p

Wilkesboro OC

Hey guys. I have been lurking for a while.....first time commenting. I live in North Wilkesboro, and I have been OCing for a month or so. I know most of ya'll live further down east, but I will still share, in case anybody ventures up this way and may be worried about the whole OC reception....like I was. Overall my experience has been quiet. So far I have been to Lowe's Foods, IGA, Dollar General (there is one on every corner up here.), McDonalds....got a few stares there, but nothing more. I'm not sure if they were looking at the 9, or the fact that I am a 6ft tall woman....lol. Several gas stations, no problems other than the stares....just to name a few. Overall the reception has been good, way up here in the Bible belt.

I stumbled upon this site by accident, and it has become one of my favorites. I really enjoy reading the posts about the different OC experiences. Some of you guys should be writers....or comedians, because they are too funny. I don't comment much, but I am here almost daily reading the posts. Thanks for creating this nice place for us OC'ers. Nice to meet ya'll.

solus

I suggest we leave all the ILFs out of the OC experiences thread.

woooohoooo...glad we are here in the land of civilization the tarheel state..............

--moderator edited--

ya'l have a good'n ya here!!

ipse

Last edited by a moderator:

solus

Hey guys. I have been lurking for a while.....first time commenting. I live in North Wilkesboro, and I have been OCing for a month or so. I know most of ya'll live further down east, but I will still share, in case anybody ventures up this way and may be worried about the whole OC reception....like I was. Overall my experience has been quiet. So far I have been to Lowe's Foods, IGA, Dollar General (there is one on every corner up here.), McDonalds....got a few stares there, but nothing more. I'm not sure if they were looking at the 9, or the fact that I am a 6ft tall woman....lol. Several gas stations, no problems other than the stares....just to name a few. Overall the reception has been good, way up here in the Bible belt.

I stumbled upon this site by accident, and it has become one of my favorites. I really enjoy reading the posts about the different OC experiences. Some of you guys should be writers....or comedians, because they are too funny. I don't comment much, but I am here almost daily reading the posts. Thanks for creating this nice place for us OC'ers. Nice to meet ya'll.

oh dear, guess i should read top to bottom ~ er, uh, welcome to the forum Ms Dawn...thanks for gracing us with your smile as we look forward to your adventures of OC'g in the area...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Welcome from all of us at OCDO, Dawn.

That is my daughter-in-law's name too. She is under 5 ft in height, but I can look up to you both. Women that take personal responsibility for their safety are jewels to be admired.
icon14.png

Jamesm760

Welcome to OCDO, we do indeed have some excellent comical writers on here... I too enjoy reading some of our members posts, though sometimes while at work I have to try really hard to not laugh too loud.:lol:

nobama

Welcome Dawn! Now for my experience tonight. Went and ate at Hardees, had the new Dioblo burger,(dont recomend it) a few elderly couples in there that looked but nothing said. Went to Lowes food in K-Ville, had a guy come up to me and compliment my Glock that has been hydro-printed in the Gadsdon flag, we talked a few and he showed me his collection on his phone, which was cool, he said he served and I thanked him for his service and he thanked me for OCing. I asked where his was, LOL. All good.

solus

doing a road trip, stopped at a McD near W-S for a bite, as i was getting my drink watched as two young men leave out the front door, then as i turned to grab a lid they came running back in and the oldest looking one asked...what kinda firearm you carrying...so we chatted a bit about OC'g and i discovered this individual who is a good lanky 6-3ish and looked, eh 17-18, was only 15...chatted further, told him about the forum and hoped to see him out here...and he and his brother scampered off...

no other patron said a word or looked at me cross eyed...

ipse

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
doing a road trip, stopped at a McD near W-S for a bite, as i was getting my drink watched as two young men leave out the front door, then as i turned to grab a lid they came running back in and the oldest looking one asked...what kinda firearm you carrying...so we chatted a bit about OC'g and i discovered this individual who is a good lanky 6-3ish and looked, eh 17-18, was only 15...chatted further, told him about the forum and hoped to see him out here...and he and his brother scampered off...

no other patron said a word or looked at me cross eyed...

ipse
Someone obviously did something right in preparing the young man for the world as he recognized the difference between a good guy and a BG + the gun itself was not frightening to him.

You added to his store of information which will only further promote that his choices/decisions on OC and RKBA are fact based. Soon he will be of legal age, a voter, and maybe a leader of some note. We will need future defenders of our faith as we ol' pharts ride beyond sight and sound.

Good job.