• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

FLEMTP

The moral of the story, my firearm goes where I go.

Concealed is concealed.. if you're carrying concealed.. and someone can tell.. then you're doing it wrong.

I became very good at deep concealment living in florida.. where printing can get you charged depending on the LEO you encounter. I carry a mid size S&W semi auto, and you cannot tell i have pistol on me.... unless it comes to a point where I need to use it to defend myself

papa bear

Please understand, i try to be law abiding citizen. even though there are so many laws that you can break and not even know it. i do not advocate intentionaly breaking a law. i do strongly advocate , recongnizing and working at getting an unjust law changed. avoidance without action is not desirable either. that just continues the injustice

please correct me if i am wrong, but isn't it illegal to also open carry in "sell and consume" places in NC. dreamer is correct that, in VA, it was illegal to CC, but you could OC in S&CE. now you can do both

elixin77

Yes, it is illegal to carry in places where alcohol is sold and consumed (such as bars, restaurants that serve alcohol, etc).

Flem - when it comes to concealment, NC does not have an imprint clause - meaning that if someone can make out the shape of your gun under your shirt, then its still legal to do so. This is probably like that because (my guess at least) OC is legal here.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
The moral of the story, my firearm goes where I go.

I recently read a book by Suzanna Hupp - From Luby's to the Legislature: One Woman's Fight Against Gun Control.

I can't give you a direct quote right now, but I remember reading something to the extent of how (in relation to some of the odd laws on where you cannot carry) she does not have any qualms about disobeying an immoral law, if the consequences of obedience could mean loss of life or limb to herself & her family.

Last edited:

elixin77

I was at Wally World today, buying some stuff for the apt. When I was in the tape and adhesives aisle (picking up masking tape), a gentleman walks up to me and asks what gun I have. Casually, i tell him its a 1911. He chuckles a bit, says "I'm a glock man" and raises his shirt to show me. Thought it was pretty cool.

When I was walking from one end of the store to the other though, I heard a lady tell her little kid that there was a MWAG, but did it in the fake panicky voice (kind of hard to describe), so I don't know if she was serious or not. Either way, I left without any other sort of encounter.

I ordered a SERPA holster for my firearm a few days ago, and it came in today, so I decided to break it in :)

Apart from wally world, went to Jiffy Lube to get some much needed TLC done to my car, swung by Micheal's to pick up some paint, and went to WW, than came home.

Smith45acp

He chuckles a bit, says "I'm a glock man" and raises his shirt to show me. Thought it was pretty cool.

I had a guy pull his taurus out of his truck door to show me at a gas station one time. He didn't point it or anything but I could kinda tell he was just excited and using poor judgement. I kindly told him he was breaking the law and quickly got in my car and left.

Lifting the shirt to show me a holstered gun would cause much less concern!

Northerner

Question: OC'ing in Raleigh

Anybody had any experience OC'ing downtown Raleigh? Any City Statutes like Cary?

Smith45acp

Carried into the local 'hoodmart again tonight. I usually get at least some looks from the loiterers outside.

This time it was especially hopping and after I took my helmet off someone called out to a couple guys that had immediately begun to walk away "Hey man that aint no cop!"

Then inside this super skeezy looking guy was behind me in line and just blurts out "What's up with that sh1t man?".

I turned around long enough to look at him and then turned to a 90 degree at the counter and didn't answer his uncouth introduction. And I'm normally happy to explain my thought process behind carrying but that's just no way to approach me. As I was walking out he asked again " hey man what's up with you?" Ignored that one too.

On a lighter note, stopped for a late lunch at IHOP somewhere near Burlington off I40. My waitress was intrigued and bored with no customers and sat down with me at the booth. We talked for awhile and at the end she actually thanked me and said I had opened her eyes to a lot of things.

I usually don't just talk 2A when someone asks, but run the whole gamut of why I think free men should act like free men.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
would have gave him the cold shoulder also

Carried into the local 'hoodmart again tonight. I usually get at least some looks from the loiterers outside.

This time it was especially hopping and after I took my helmet off someone called out to a couple guys that had immediately begun to walk away "Hey man that aint no cop!"

Then inside this super skeezy looking guy was behind me in line and just blurts out "What's up with that sh1t man?".

I turned around long enough to look at him and then turned to a 90 degree at the counter and didn't answer his uncouth introduction. And I'm normally happy to explain my thought process behind carrying but that's just no way to approach me. As I was walking out he asked again " hey man what's up with you?" Ignored that one too.

On a lighter note, stopped for a late lunch at IHOP somewhere near Burlington off I40. My waitress was intrigued and bored with no customers and sat down with me at the booth. We talked for awhile and at the end she actually thanked me and said I had opened her eyes to a lot of things.

I usually don't just talk 2A when someone asks, but run the whole gamut of why I think free men should act like free men.

elixin77

2 questions:

-Was she hot?
-Are you married?

3 questions if question 1 is yes and question 2 is no:
-did you get her number?

:banana::banana::banana:

Smith45acp

Here's a new one with Raleigh PD tonight

I had just parked my car on a downtown Raleigh street and I was leaning in the door to get my wallet to put in my pocket, so my strong side hip is pointed right back up the street. Wouldn't ya know it, the first car that passes in that 3 seconds it took me to reach in the car is a RPD cruiser. So he hits the brakes and does a u turn, stopping across both lanes and two officers get out, walking toward me fairly calmly.

The first one says stop, and I do.

He then says "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

Me "Well I don't have a lot of time right now officer"

RPD1 approaches me and gently puts his hand on my right wrist and says that while we're talking he needs to hold my gun

Me "In that case, am I being detained?"

RPD1 "It's pretty uncommon to see a man walking in downtown Raleigh with a gun on his hip"
(I resist the urge to say there are now three of us doing just that on this one block!)

Me again, "Am I being detained?"

RPD2 Knows where I'm heading with this, he says to RPD1 "No, no, it's cool we just wanted to stop and talk"

Me "If I am free to go I am going to keep heading that way" Pointing down the block.

RPD1 - "You know it's your right to carry that gun and it's our right to stop and check on people with guns"

(At this point all of 60 seconds might have passed, and they weren't going to hang themselves by forcing detainment on someone who knows his rights, so I'm ok with them)

RPD1 Starts into a guns in public type lecture as I'm kind of turning to walk away, like he's trying to prolong the "talk". So I politely excuse myself and keep walking away.

They followed me for a while in their cruiser with the lights off, then waited by my parked car for about 30 minutes or so. I really didn't want to get back in it and have them pull me over for some b.s. ticket so I waited them out before doing anything with the car.

They didn't seem like bad guys or anything, but I feel like they were trying the same old cop trick of making it sound like you don't have a choice when you do.

FLEMTP

Sounds like you handled that quiet well! Maybe RPD2 can adjust RPD1's attitude a little.. or maybe thats what they were doing for the half hour they sat there...doubtful.. but one can hope!

Smith45acp

Sounds like you handled that quiet well!

Thanks, unfortunately I've had practice!

To be honest I might have been willing to "chat" with them for a minute until I learned that the price of that chat is disarming. Thanks but no!

Does this answer your question about downtown carry Northerner? Legal, yes. Likely to cause extra attention from johnny law, also yes.

If you so much as jay walk while carrying you can expect a terry stop. Don't loiter either!

A lot of cops, even those that know you're being lawful, will think "Well, I wonder what we CAN get him for?". As if we're exploiting some loophole and need to be taught a lesson in falling in line. That has happened to me. I got a ticket for something I never would have been ticketed for had I not gained attention from LEO's by OC'ing. So make sure you're in line and your butt is covered.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Raleigh is a lot like Richmond VA or Philadelphia PA in that respect. You think twice about carrying because of the history of LEO harassment...

But then, you'd be foolish NOT to carry in either city, because of the BGs...

I'd rather have to deal with LEOs because I WAS armed than have to deal with some thugs and not be armed...I ALWAYS carry when I'm in either of these cities.

Harassment vs possible unlawful attack? I can walk away from harassment. I can sue the police for unlawful detainment. I can post recordings of their extra-legal foolishness on YouTube. Sure it's a hassle, but at the end of the day, I get to go home to my family.

But if I'm laying dead in the gutter, stabbed or shot for my wallet (which is usually pretty empty these days), there's no going home from that...

It's a simple cost-benefit analysis, really.

Last edited:

farkles

Quick who is running against Deborah Ross and Holliman...we need to know the good guys to pull for, not just the bad guys...Thanks

sultan62

Not strictly an OC experience, but didn't really warrant a thread of its own.

Robert Levy spoke at my university today, and I got to see him. It was informative, and focused largely on the gross abuse of the interstate commerce clause. I'll probably pick up his book in the near future.

Unfortunately, he was on his way to another speaking engagement when I got the chance to briefly meet him. I gave him an NC Gun Rights Flier with my phone number. I'm hoping he will drop by the forum, or at least check out the website.

If you get a chance to see him, I recommend it. I only wish he had longer to speak.