• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

ron73440

Been all over New Bern and Havelock, Mallard, Mallard, Wal-Mart, Fuel Market, B&R Range, and Food Lion, still no issues or comments.

Went to Fat Fellas in Newport also no reaction. (that place has good food)

ramkatral

went into a local Pharmacy, named Wally's to pick up a prescription for my mother . there was an older man sitting there waiting. he looked up and said, "can't argue with you since you have a gun". i said "oh thats just there, so guys like you won't rob me", i patted him on the shoulder., and he laughed

Sunday i went to take my grand kids to golden corral for breakfast. there were a few police cars and ambulances in the parking lot, parked, so i knew there wasn't an emergency.

got inside there were about 20 police, 10 deputies, four NCHP. and about 15 ambulance drivers. they weren't in a group, but grouped with their own.

even though i was up and down a lot with the kids, i don't think that they even noticed. i think one of the HP was looking hard my way, but he never said anything to me. i kinda wanted them to noticed, but nothing

I know this post is a month old, and not trying to pick a fight, but referring to us as ambulance drivers is actually quite offensive. You don't call police "police car drivers." We are paramedics, and generally spend upwards of two years to earn our title.

Not being a jerk or anything, but we hear ambulance driver all the time.

carolina guy

I know this post is a month old, and not trying to pick a fight, but referring to us as ambulance drivers is actually quite offensive. You don't call police "police car drivers." We are paramedics, and generally spend upwards of two years to earn our title.

Not being a jerk or anything, but we hear ambulance driver all the time.

Is this an old term or something? Other than this thread, I am not sure that I have ever heard or used the term before.

ramkatral

Yea, it's an old term, but gets used pretty often actually. We get called ambulance drivers ALOT.

If I'm an ambulance driver, then I work with a whole lot of police car drivers and fire truck drivers.

Jamesm760

Yea, it's an old term, but gets used pretty often actually. We get called ambulance drivers ALOT.

If I'm an ambulance driver, then I work with a whole lot of police car drivers and fire truck drivers.

I see how you might find that offesive I suppose, but im sure people don't mean it like that when they say it. Would be pretty funny for someone to call me a phone answerer or keyboard operator. LOL... Thank you for your hard work ambulance driver!:rolleyes:

I find it more disrespectful when idiots don't move the heck out of the way when they see you guys coming... NC drivers do that too much.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ramkatral

I see how you might find that offesive I suppose, but im sure people don't mean it like that when they say it. Would be pretty funny for someone to call me a phone answerer orkeyboard operator. LOL... Thank you for your hard work ambulance driver!:rolleyes:

I find it more disrespectful when idiots don't move the heck out of the way when they see you guys coming... NC drivers do that too much.

Well not quite. I think a comparable term to "ambulance driver" in your profession might be "keyboard kommander" - you would find that offensive, I'm sure.

People with certifications/positions earned by their toil do not like to be belittled - no one does. Our image is expressed in the eyes of others.

Jamesm760

Well not quite. I think a comparable term to "ambulance driver" in your profession might be "keyboard kommander" - you would find that offensive, I'm sure.

People with certifications/positions earned by their toil do not like to be belittled - no one does. Our image is expressed in the eyes of others.

LOL I don't find that offensive at all, I think it's quite funny. I've been called worse and wasn't bothered by it. I was previously EMD, so I guess I could have been called an "ambulance driver dispatcher" :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL I don't find that offensive at all, I think it's quite funny. I've been called worse and wasn't bothered by it. I was previously EMD, so I guess I could have been called an "ambulance driver dispatcher" :lol:
Nicely played, sir.

Laughter has a way of diminishing the other's point - 'course I was not trying to be harsh with you either :)

Last edited:

ramkatral

I know most do not mean any offense by it, and I'm sure the guy here didn't. Just pointing out that it does sting everytime we hear that ;)

papa bear

not trying to start an argument. but you do not have the right, to not be offended

but would it help that i hold "ambulance drivers" in higher esteem then LEOs

of course a fire fighter actually does fight fires. of course about all of them around here are voluntary

ramkatral

So instead of just being polite and acknowledging we have a title that we worked very hard for, your response is that? Wow, what a guy.

carolina guy

So instead of just being polite and acknowledging we have a title that we worked very hard for, your response is that? Wow, what a guy.

Why let it bother you? If some called me a hacker or typist instead of computer programmer/software developer/computer scientist my reaction would be little more than (*shrug*)... :)

ramkatral

I guess it's a matter of being on the streets and having the occasional ******* use it to be derogatory to you, while you're taking care of the family he hit because he was drunk driving. Afterwards, every time someone calls you that, it starts to irritate you.

carolina guy

I guess it's a matter of being on the streets and having the occasional ******* use it to be derogatory to you, while you're taking care of the family he hit because he was drunk driving. Afterwards, every time someone calls you that, it starts to irritate you.

Who cares what a drunk has to say? Leos hear worse...

solus

...and this tirate centering around individuals documenting their sensitivity session has what to do about the thread's title?

so...

yesterday rolling out to do errands, OC'd at the downtown wilson commerical sign shop in chatting extensively with the owner and staff, chatted w/staff while the partner was seeing a greenville doctor, and then in a greenville commerical mobile radio shop where the older technician was shade resistant to get real close while i was in his area.

all in all, a great day carrying...how was your carry experience?

ipse

papa bear

went to meet a guy that felt alone OCing. so we had a little meet and greet at the GC.

things went OK. i had notice a couple beside us from Ontario. when i went to set down i said how are things in Ontario. they said fine. how're you doing and things like that

we went on to eat and had conversation about taxes and government, and such things

the couple from Ontario was getting up to leave so, i said have a good and safe trip. they said they were not going to Ontario but to Myrtle beach. i gave my condolences

they stopped and talked for a while. so during the conversation i asked them about how they felt about us carrying. she said she was scared. so i asked her Why? she said she was just not used to it. i assured her that the people you could trust was someone that carried in a holster in the open. she agreed and went on to talk about the reasons to carry. all in all a good encounter

Jamesm760

went to meet a guy that felt alone OCing. so we had a little meet and greet at the GC.

things went OK. i had notice a couple beside us from Ontario. when i went to set down i said how are things in Ontario. they said fine. how're you doing and things like that

we went on to eat and had conversation about taxes and government, and such things

the couple from Ontario was getting up to leave so, i said have a good and safe trip. they said they were not going to Ontario but to Myrtle beach. i gave my condolences

they stopped and talked for a while. so during the conversation i asked them about how they felt about us carrying. she said she was scared. so i asked her Why? she said she was just not used to it. i assured her that the people you could trust was someone that carried in a holster in the open. she agreed and went on to talk about the reasons to carry. all in all a good encounter

+1 (until someone with mental health problems screws that up and makes us all look bad, knock on wood)

Southern Covenanter

Bo's on Albermarle Road (Charlotte, NC)

My lovely bride and I were in Charlotte this weekend to visit her family, and since I'm stuck in SC, I took the opportunity to exercise my rights while visiting the Tarheel State. We stopped for supper at the Bojangles' on Albermarle Road where I had a great conversation with another customer. While I was getting my drink, a man looked down at my hip, saw the Sig, and then said, "I bet you get a lot of second looks once people notice what's on your hip!" I just smiled and nodded when he asked me, "Why do you carry a gun?" I just kept smiling and said, "Why do you have homeowner's insurance?" He laughed so hard I thought he might wet himself a little!

Once we sat down, there was a table to my 6 with an older Asian gentleman and his two daughters. The little girl with the clearest view of my hip whispered to her dad, "Daddy, that man has a gun..." Her father calmly looked at my wife and I and then told his daughter, "I'm glad."

All in all, a great OC experience!

jag06

Welcome to the forum Southern Covenanter! Glad you had a positive experience OC'ing. Nice to hear of the dad giving a positive message about guns to his daughter. Hope you make a few more trips north of the border and get to OC again.