• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

carolina guy

Last night in Walmart

Was OC with the wife and kids last night in the Walmart on 29 in Concord...not sure if it was someone on OCDO or a legitimate "unicorn"...a younger couple and the guy was carrying a pearl handled revolver in a leather holster just ahead of us in line. Didn't get a chance to chat (2yo daughter was 1/2" from another tantrum).

WalkingWolf

thoughts on duty to notify if I'm carrying concealed in the passenger/backseat of a vehicle?

My understanding is you only notify IF the officer makes contact with you, as in some type of stop. If you are not the one being stopped then IMO you should keep your mouth shut. If the officer addresses you then you should notify if you have a concealed permit, AND are carrying concealed. You are not required to notify for open carry. YET!

carolina guy

My understanding is you only notify IF the officer makes contact with you, as in some type of stop. If you are not the one being stopped then IMO you should keep your mouth shut. If the officer addresses you then you should notify if you have a concealed permit, AND are carrying concealed. You are not required to notify for open carry. YET!

+1

dadpharm

Hi South Carolina neighbor here. I have a s.c.,Arizona,Fla. permit. Can I open carry in N.C.? Was told by High Point gun store I could not. Just wondering. Thanks dadpharm

carolina guy

Hi South Carolina neighbor here. I have a s.c.,Arizona,Fla. permit. Can I open carry in N.C.? Was told by High Point gun store I could not. Just wondering. Thanks dadpharm

If you are allowed to own a gun, you can OC in all places that any NC resident can OC.

You might want to check the NC Flyer on OC at: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer-March-22-2012 (has all relevant updates, but ONLY covers OC without the use of a Concealed Handgun Permit).

Jamesm760

Funny you say this because I was just remembering about something similar the other day. I went to one of my local gun shops to see if they had anything new I might want to buy. When I got there, I opened up the conversation with "Hey man I just got kicked out of my bank for open carrying. I might need to look for a new bank."

The gun shop owner said, "you're lucky they didn't call the cops. You can't go inside banks with a gun, that's illegal."
I said, "Oh really? I've been doing a lot of reading and I came to the conclusion that banks were ok. Are you sure?"
He said, "Bro, this is what I do for a living. I would know gun laws if I'm selling them."

(insert moral of the story here) ;)

covi

my open carry

new to the forum. today was the first time i have ever open carried. first was a walgreens no issue there. second was the mall. i was at the mall for maybe 2 minutes and was approached by 2 mall cops. they informed me that the mall didnt allow people to carry weapons. my response was that i didnt see a sign on the door. he told me that it wasent a problem and he gave me a pamplet stating that they didnt allow it. i told them i was sorry and i would take the gun to my car. i did just that and returned into the mall only to talk guns and stuff with them for at least 20 minutes. not a bad day in my eyes

WalkingWolf

new to the forum. today was the first time i have ever open carried. first was a walgreens no issue there. second was the mall. i was at the mall for maybe 2 minutes and was approached by 2 mall cops. they informed me that the mall didnt allow people to carry weapons. my response was that i didnt see a sign on the door. he told me that it wasent a problem and he gave me a pamplet stating that they didnt allow it. i told them i was sorry and i would take the gun to my car. i did just that and returned into the mall only to talk guns and stuff with them for at least 20 minutes. not a bad day in my eyes

Welcome to OCDO!:)

I never take my gun to my vehicle where it can get stolen. No Gun! No Money!

As far as the signs you should not mention it. Just leave and keep returning until they serve you with official trespass, then they lose your business completely with no chance to get it back. People are trespassed not objects, they can trespass you for any reason, but they can only trespass you, not your firearm. I just don't give malls my business, PERIOD! And for the reason of their anti gun policies.

covi

i only went to the mall to have my wifes wedding ring inspected at kays...other then that i would have left and not went back. i think that i am going to get a safe and mount it under my rear seat. bolt it to the floor. my rear seat flips forward so i would have easy access. i dont have my ccw so when i carry and we go to dinner i will have leave it in the car if they sell alcohol. for some reason i dont see the need to get my ccw other then not needing a pistol purchase permit. its my right to carry and for now thats what im going to do.

WalkingWolf

i only went to the mall to have my wifes wedding ring inspected at kays...other then that i would have left and not went back. i think that i am going to get a safe and mount it under my rear seat. bolt it to the floor. my rear seat flips forward so i would have easy access. i dont have my ccw so when i carry and we go to dinner i will have leave it in the car if they sell alcohol. for some reason i dont see the need to get my ccw other then not needing a pistol purchase permit. its my right to carry and for now thats what im going to do.

I have never had a problem finding very good restaurants that do not serve alcohol. The yuppie eatery usually have a bar, and those places give me the hives. Lately we have mostly been eating breakfast or lunch out. And IHOP is gun friendly, but they are not the only place that are gun friendly here in NC. I find most of the non alcohol restaurants are less expensive, better lighting, faster service. Unfortunately I have not been in Wilmington in a long time, so I can't make suggestions for there.

covi

thanks for all of the info. there arent many places here that dont serve alcohol. but i will look into and see whats out there.

Jamesm760

thanks for all of the info. there arent many places here that dont serve alcohol. but i will look into and see whats out there.

Steak N Shake is pretty good and I've never had a problem there. IMO local mom and pop places are the best to OC in. Helping out your local businesses and they provide better customer service, in most cases.:lol:

papa bear

If you are allowed to own a gun, you can OC in all places that any NC resident can OC.

You might want to check the NC Flyer on OC at: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101135-North-Carolina-Flyer-March-22-2012 (has all relevant updates, but ONLY covers OC without the use of a Concealed Handgun Permit).

just to let you know you don't need a CHP at all, if you are open carry. you just need one to lock your gun in your car, or go to a restaurant that serves and consumes. but more on this in a second. but also to let you know that NC honors all CHPs

Funny you say this because I was just remembering about something similar the other day. I went to one of my local gun shops to see if they had anything new I might want to buy. When I got there, I opened up the conversation with "Hey man I just got kicked out of my bank for open carrying. I might need to look for a new bank."

The gun shop owner said, "you're lucky they didn't call the cops. You can't go inside banks with a gun, that's illegal."
I said, "Oh really? I've been doing a lot of reading and I came to the conclusion that banks were ok. Are you sure?"
He said, "Bro, this is what I do for a living. I would know gun laws if I'm selling them."

Moral, there is a stupidity that runs through that store. i definitely would stay away. can you give us the name so we can

i know WOLF will disagree with me. i am wanting to look at the official law to see if we can OC with permit, in a rest. that S&C. but really i haven't had any reason to go to one yet

Jamesm760

Moral, there is a stupidity that runs through that store. i definitely would stay away. can you give us the name so we can

Gun Outlet & Pawnmore info‎
5115 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28213

Guy was extremely cool, and his prices were very fair. I'm surprised he thinks it's illegal to carry in banks, seeing how he OC's. This happened almost 5months ago, so maybe he has been enlightened on the information, but I highly doubt it.

carolina guy

I suppose that is like taking traffic law advice from a car salesman, or advice on USDA regulations from a guy flipping burgers...

Last edited:

MattinWA

I suppose that is like taking traffic law advice from a car salesman, or advice on USDA regulations from a guy flipping burgers...

Lol +1.
There are several pawn shops in my area that have "no guns" signs on the door, or "unloaded" ect. The kicker is these shops also sell guns. I had one guy tell me it was an FFL requirement, so I wouldnt bring my own ammo to put in their firearms or some BS.
I laughed my way, the whole way, to the next pawn shop

WalkingWolf

Lol +1.
There are several pawn shops in my area that have "no guns" signs on the door, or "unloaded" ect. The kicker is these shops also sell guns. I had one guy tell me it was an FFL requirement, so I wouldnt bring my own ammo to put in their firearms or some BS.
I laughed my way, the whole way, to the next pawn shop

There are several shops that have unloaded signs on the door. Even though those shops allow loaded open carry. It has been explained to me it is the insurance companies bidding. I only had something said to me once, and upon contacting the owner I got a apology and the employee was counseled on the proper treatment of customers.

The main thing to keep in mind even if a business is not posted, keep your(general you) hands OFF your sidearm. Even if someone begs you to look at it.

bc.cruiser

just to let you know you don't need a CHP at all, if you are open carry. you just need one to lock your gun in your car, or go to a restaurant that serves and consumes. but more on this in a second. but also to let you know that NC honors all CHPs

I'll give you a chance to expand on the bolded section before throw the flag.:D

i know WOLF will disagree with me. i am wanting to look at the official law to see if we can OC with permit, in a rest. that S&C. but really i haven't had any reason to go to one yet

He's not the only one; I'm waiting to find out how "that guy" fares in court.