• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Jamesm760

There are several shops that have unloaded signs on the door. Even though those shops allow loaded open carry. It has been explained to me it is the insurance companies bidding. I only had something said to me once, and upon contacting the owner I got a apology and the employee was counseled on the proper treatment of customers.

The main thing to keep in mind even if a business is not posted, keep your(general you) hands OFF your sidearm. Even if someone begs you to look at it.

+1

IDK who the heck would unholster their sidearm in a business period..

Last edited:

carolina guy

+1

One thing I have learned over time is to NEVER underestimate the power and prevalence of stupid. There is a reason that they have to tell people that hot coffee is "hot". ;)

Caveat: I have unholstered in the local gun shops, but after asking if they mind if I try my pistol in a new holster, and only after clearing it.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

+1

It is how one range in Bunlevel NC managed to have several ND's. Instead of posting and enforcing "No firearm horseplay or handling" they now encourage handling to unload. Stupid upon stupid. One large gun dealer in Vass explained besides insurance they had problems with some idiots both CC, and OC handling their firearms in the store. There are idiots in every group, unfortunately that includes people who carry.

Plus I would be rich for every time I would see some numpty, mostly CC, constantly fidgeting with their firearm. Then their are the cocked and locked newbies who just have to fidget with the thumb safety on their 1911. I guess to make sure it is on, it was supposed to be on when it was put in the holster.

One thing I have learned over time is to NEVER underestimate the power and prevalence of stupid. There is a reason that they have to tell people that hot coffee is "hot". ;)

Caveat: I have unholstered in the local gun shops, but after asking if they mind if I try my pistol in a new holster, and only after clearing it.

+1

Last edited:

solus

Gun Outlet & Pawnmore info‎
5115 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28213

Guy was extremely cool, and his prices were very fair. I'm surprised he thinks it's illegal to carry in banks, seeing how he OC's. This happened almost 5months ago, so maybe he has been enlightened on the information, but I highly doubt it.

before december 2011, law read firearms were not allowed in financial institutions...the NC GA changed it and deleted the financial institutions from the statute.

the other rumor is the folk on the western side of the state also profess when you get your CHP you are no longer allowed to OC...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
before december 2011, law read firearms were not allowed in financial institutions...the NC GA changed it and deleted the financial institutions from the statute.

the other rumor is the folk on the western side of the state also profess when you get your CHP you are no longer allowed to OC...

ipse

Also can't have one in the chamber or carry with the hammer back.......except on days ending with a "Y" :p

carolina guy

ipse

Well, I guess the gun dealer is an expert on firearms laws, as long as they never change. ;)

WalkingWolf

ipse

Cite please?

Open carry was and has always been allowed in banks as long as they were not posted. Only concealed carry was a no no, until the law changed.

carolina guy

Cite please?

Open carry was and has always been allowed in banks as long as they were not posted. Only concealed carry was a no no, until the law changed.

The only thing I can find is:

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/HTML/H650v6.html

And you are 100% correct...it only updated the law (§ 14-415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit) to allow someone with a CHP to carry concealed in a bank. This section never dealt with OC. My quick search of Ch 14 does not turn up anything correlating firearms and financial institutions for much other than banks can own machine guns.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The only thing I can find is:

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/HTML/H650v6.html

And you are 100% correct...it only updated the law (§ 14-415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit) to allow someone with a CHP to carry concealed in a bank. This section never dealt with OC. My quick search of Ch 14 does not turn up anything correlating firearms and financial institutions for much other than banks can own machine guns.

You won't find anything, because there never was a law outlawing OC in a bank. The revised law only covered concealed carry~unlike restaurants where the law stated carry of a firearm. What is not illegal is legal, the law was rewritten by GRNC because as it stood it promoted OC.

carolina guy

You won't find anything, because there never was a law outlawing OC in a bank. The revised law only covered concealed carry~unlike restaurants where the law stated carry of a firearm. What is not illegal is legal, the law was rewritten by GRNC because as it stood it promoted OC.

:) Just due diligence to look to see if it was somehow covered in the law.

ron73440

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming:

Went to the Farmer's Market in New Bern, for some reason this made my wife extremely nervous, we all had a good time, spent money and the only comment was from the WWII vet working the DAV booth, "Good to see people who protect themselves" I stopped and talked to him for a bit.

Sunday we went to the new Cookout and the guy working in the parking lot said I had a nice gun and wanted to know what type.

Other than that, been to a lot of places in New Bern and Havelock with no issues.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

My wife carries but she is always nervous about people who she thinks are staring. Maybe it is because I don't care that I don't notice anybody looking.

covi

this morning i had to go to walmart and get my wife contact solution and i needed some dickies work shirts. i was carrying, standing in line to check out and this gentleman behind me asked the usual question "are you law enforcement"? my response was nope. then he goes on to say be careful there are some ass holes here and they will call the law….he also said it happened to me already, i just carry under my jacket. i told him if they asked me to leave then i would. or if they called the police then that was fine. i like it. he goes on to say you wouldn't mind having to talk to cops? my response was no I'm exercising my rights as a resident in nc.

jtitus07

Went to O'reilly auto parts on 70 in Goldsboro/Rosewood the other day for a new battery for the wife's car. One of the guys behind the counter asked what I was carrying and then proceeded to show me his empty holster on his side and said he was protesting not being able to carry at work. We talked about guns for a minute while the other gentleman went and got the new battery. My first truly positive experience.

Bahabandit

OC'd in Wilmington at Trader Joe's, Target, The Children s place, and CC'ed at Mellow Mushroom since they serve alcohol. Mellow Mushroom has a big NO FIREARMS sign on their door but I carried on in the place anyways.

carolina guy

OC'd in Wilmington at Trader Joe's, Target, The Children s place, and CC'ed at Mellow Mushroom since they serve alcohol. Mellow Mushroom has a big NO FIREARMS sign on their door but I carried on in the place anyways.

Personally, I am not sure I would post openly about a misdemeanor...just my $0.02. I guess it gets down to what is a "conspicuous" notice, and how they can really prove that you saw it (thus making it really "conspicuous") ;)

Jamesm760

Personally, I am not sure I would post openly about a misdemeanor...just my $0.02. I guess it gets down to what is a "conspicuous" notice, and how they can really prove that you saw it (thus making it really "conspicuous") ;)

It's more simple than that. No firearms, no $$.

covi

wilmington has alot of hippies that are anti-gun. mellow mushroom is one of those places. i would be careful also.